RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson strange sound.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 12:32 PM
gorcorps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up test driving an RX this weekend. I too noticed the sound imbalance in the ML system, and frankly preferred the lower end 9 speaker system because of this.

This is actually very similar to what happened with my Highlander. I was all set to get the Limited, but the sound of the "premium" JBL system was so bad I ended up with the XLE. While technically the lower end sound system, it at least sounded balanced in the front seat. It sounds like the same issue is in the ML system. I have no idea why Toyota/Lexus seems to have a problem with this, but I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed given the complaints with it.
Old 05-23-16, 08:43 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did a test to see how far back I would need to set the balance to equal and got even more annoyed... on the farthest back setting, the sound clearly comes from the rear... the next farthest back setting, its clearly coming from the rear still, then next setting, its back to the front! So basically it wont balance on any setting!
Old 05-23-16, 09:26 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin
I just did a test to see how far back I would need to set the balance to equal and got even more annoyed... on the farthest back setting, the sound clearly comes from the rear... the next farthest back setting, its clearly coming from the rear still, then next setting, its back to the front! So basically it wont balance on any setting!
What types of music formats are you using to adjust balance? It's really about the data to make or break sound quality, especially on high end system.

Last edited by tomtom74; 05-23-16 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 08:50 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

So I came to the conclusion that anything below 25 volume level will sound like it's coming from front and sound bad.

Once you crank it up the amp kicks in and it sounds really good.

I believe I have my mid one up treble at 0 and bass at 4.

I have surround on and have it at the default sound stage location
Old 07-11-16, 07:37 PM
AZisHOT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed it the first time I test drove the car. The stereo almost sounded "mono" with all the sound coming from right in front of you. I've tried turning the surround sound off - didn't seem to help too much.

It's definitely some sort of ML sound processing gone way too far. It would be nice if there were soundstage options, rather than living with what they give us....
Old 07-12-16, 05:43 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Just an update. I am very happy with the ML sound now.

I set it so the EQ is a little behind the driver, with the bass at 4, mid at 0, and treble at 0 or 1.

You should be seated properly, head on headrest, holding the steering wheel, for the best sound quality.

Dont forget that the sub in the back needs time to break in. Give it a few weeks and the sub will begin to sound more natural and deep.
Old 07-16-16, 01:01 AM
bluulexo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by podlesnick
So I finally have my RX 450h Luxury.
I am kind of disappointed by ML sound system. When set to default location schema (enabled surround, middle from both directions) I can hear music mostly from front like it were no surround. When I move it to cca 65 % to back it sound better, but still it sounds like there is no sound from left or right.
Do you have the same experience?
I have not really experienced this prob. typically I only format the speakers to be one notch louder to the back, do not need my driver door panels raddling too hard. Sound is impeccable, I certainly believe older gen of the ML knock a little harder than these newer models... I know ML is def doing something to cut cost to the system.. this may be the issue on the sound quality. nevertheless system is still rockin
Old 07-27-16, 06:07 PM
AZisHOT
Driver School Candidate

I had a loaner today while my windows were being tinted - a little ct400h. It had the same compressed stereo soundstage problem as the RX. Actually, I had to move the balance even further rearward to help the sound - not that that fixed it, of course. I think it is the sound that Lexus has decided "we" like, or is "safer" for us. I guess it makes sense from a "My car is talking to me" standpoint - I guess they don't want you looking around wondering where that navi voice is coming from. But, for music, not so good.
Old 07-27-16, 10:18 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds great in the RX to me.

Old 07-30-16, 08:12 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds great to me.
Old 07-30-16, 12:08 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Sounds good to me too.
Old 08-05-16, 04:40 AM
Baxter64
Rookie

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Sounds great to me.
Yeah I'll say.
I read somewhere that someone was saying the ML is no good at pumping bass... lol, obviously haven't seen this vid

.......and its only shot on a crappy ipod, and it sounds sensational.
Old 08-05-16, 08:02 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Baxter64
Yeah I'll say.
I read somewhere that someone was saying the ML is no good at pumping bass... lol, obviously haven't seen this vid

.......and its only shot on a crappy ipod, and it sounds sensational.
I agree. Once the subs and woofers broke in. It hits the lows well. Not AS good as if you had a separate 10 inch sub with an amp but we aren't trying to wake the neighbors and be THAT guy. Sound is good!

FYI, to those who hate it still and use their ipod/iphone/android. Try messing with the EQ settings on the phone. The Iphone has a loudness feature that reduces the treble and makes it sound more muted. Also, don't forget to turn off surround if you don't like that.

Old 08-11-16, 02:16 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I agree. Once the subs and woofers broke in. It hits the lows well.

Yes I had never heard of 'breaking in subs' before and thought it was a fairytale... but it is 100% true... after a couple of weeks of pumping sound, they defo sound much better and much richer bass... Certainly a must for any owner... crank the bass and thumping music LOUD for a couple of weeks to loosen up the subs

Old 08-12-16, 12:46 PM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

I added a sub. I didnt have the ML system. Everytime I ride, I fall in love. The ability to have the bass **** and adjust on the fly is amazing in itself. If you want solid, full and sometimes loud, spend the 300 or 400 if you can handle the extra cargo.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-present/830803-sub-installed.html

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson strange sound.