RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 07:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Isnt this a common issue on last gens model as well?
Old 06-01-19, 08:06 AM
pab9999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same for my rx350 2016 - warped brakes and oil problem

same issue.. warped brakes at 22k and oil issue at 30k.. this suv has been a lemon.
Old 06-01-19, 08:24 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pab9999
same issue.. warped brakes at 22k and oil issue at 30k.. this suv has been a lemon.
It happens, these things are mass produced. Lexus took care of my issues and all is good now. They will take care if you.
Old 06-03-19, 03:08 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by pab9999
Warped brake rotors at 22,000 miles it's usually not a product quality issue. Brakes warp when they are hot and exposed to sign cold or water splash. Car washes are terrible for this.

Oil issue is a quality issue though. Lexus should take care of this.
Old 06-03-19, 08:54 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Had a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro with 5.7 V8, and the engine developed a slight oil leak from the cam towers at 10K miles. Well known Toyota dealer in San Diego would not repair because it was “seeping” and not dripping. Upon startup you could smell the oil burning off the exhaust manifold, but no drip to the garage floor. The repair is major and expensive when out of warranty. Toyota has known of this cam tower issue for years, and yet handle it case by case when the seep turns into a drip and the customer complains. I learned of the cam tower issue from a Tundra truck forum. Would Toyota ever say anything? No. This Lexus may or may not develop the timing cover leak. Not going to buy another Toyota. This will be the wife’s ride; I’m going back to a BMW X3 M40i and have fun driving again.
Old 10-13-19, 12:07 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rusn007
This is what was said on my pickup ticket:

The initial seeping oil was diagnosed and repaired by a dealer back in March 2018. Fast forward now to October '19, I noticed an oil leak in my driveway. My 2016 RX was purchased in January 2016 and now has almost 57K miles.
Took the car to the dealer and got a call back - they found not one, but two leaks. One of the leaks is timing cover (not sure about the 2nd). According to the dealer, this is going to be a major fix as they will need to take out my transmission.

Up to this point, I have been a huge Lexus fan, mostly due to their reliability. I purchased first year 4th Gen RX because I didn't think I would have issues like these. Never again will I buy first year production. I had other issues: gargling AC (TSB was applied but still issues), rocking driver seat (required multiple visits to finally address it).

If there is anything good from this - the leak is covered under powertain warranty 6 years / 72K miles. Based on the miles I put each year, I will be out of warranty within 1 year.

Question for the community: would you keep the car for the next 3~4 years and hope that no major issues come up or sell it now (after the dealer fixes the leak)?
Old 10-13-19, 06:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

The initial seeping oil was diagnosed and repaired by a dealer back in March 2018. Fast forward now to October '19, I noticed an oil leak in my driveway. My 2016 RX was purchased in January 2016 and now has almost 57K miles.
Took the car to the dealer and got a call back - they found not one, but two leaks. One of the leaks is timing cover (not sure about the 2nd). According to the dealer, this is going to be a major fix as they will need to take out my transmission.

Up to this point, I have been a huge Lexus fan, mostly due to their reliability. I purchased first year 4th Gen RX because I didn't think I would have issues like these. Never again will I buy first year production. I had other issues: gargling AC (TSB was applied but still issues), rocking driver seat (required multiple visits to finally address it).

If there is anything good from this - the leak is covered under powertain warranty 6 years / 72K miles. Based on the miles I put each year, I will be out of warranty within 1 year.

Question for the community: would you keep the car for the next 3~4 years and hope that no major issues come up or sell it now (after the dealer fixes the leak)?
Personal decision. Anything can happen to any car and its more likely as they age.
Old 10-13-19, 09:30 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Smile Keep it.

I, personally, would keep the car. The issues are now behind you, and you know “your” car. It’s unfortunate that the oil leaks occurred, but that same thing happened to me with a 2016 Tundra with cam tower leaks. Toyota OEM silicone used for sealing machined surfaces is poor quality, and that’s why they now use a higher quality black silicone, but only on a repair. If that product was applied properly, you will be good for the life of the engine (200K plus miles). Toyota’s approach is, instead of issuing a TSB for a timing cover leak, is to wait until the customer complains, THEN address it. No complaints; save $$$. I would trust a Toyota product for longevity over say, a BMW, Audi, Volvo or any US made vehicle. It’s your decision, and it is still under warranty, so drive it and see if your confidence is restored.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (10-13-19)
Old 02-28-20, 05:47 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

30k miles on a 2017 F-Sport.
while doing my 4th oil change - i noticed oil running along the rear of the engine onto the subframe, as well as the seam where the engine and transmission mate. I initially thought it was transmission fluid due to the location - but the fluid was brown and not red - and didnt have the smell of ATF.

Took it to the dealer - turns out it was a gasket for the fuel pump (it sits under the airbox) - ill try to get a photo.
I never noticed a significant loss of oil when doing changes that was alarming. And the garage floor never had any oil stains/ drops. i guess it was just a slow weep/leak that was always present - and eventually it was enough to collect on the rear of engine

Figured i would post just do others were aware - ill take a pic of the service description/part no replacement, and the oil leak i saw from under the car later - and update the post.

its only been about 100 miles since the fix - but ill be keeping any eye on it during the next oil changes.
Old 02-28-20, 04:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
30k miles on a 2017 F-Sport.
while doing my 4th oil change - i noticed oil running along the rear of the engine onto the subframe, as well as the seam where the engine and transmission mate. I initially thought it was transmission fluid due to the location - but the fluid was brown and not red - and didnt have the smell of ATF.

Took it to the dealer - turns out it was a gasket for the fuel pump (it sits under the airbox) - ill try to get a photo.
I never noticed a significant loss of oil when doing changes that was alarming. And the garage floor never had any oil stains/ drops. i guess it was just a slow weep/leak that was always present - and eventually it was enough to collect on the rear of engine

Figured i would post just do others were aware - ill take a pic of the service description/part no replacement, and the oil leak i saw from under the car later - and update the post.

its only been about 100 miles since the fix - but ill be keeping any eye on it during the next oil changes.
Do you mean oil pump?
Old 02-29-20, 08:18 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Do you mean oil pump?
That's what I thought. Isn't the fuel pump inside the gas tank?
Old 02-29-20, 10:53 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ravenuer
That's what I thought. Isn't the fuel pump inside the gas tank?
that’s is what I thought too.. I’ll take a pic of it from the service manual and the service notes. It says “fuel pump”. The oil pump is on the passenger side by the timing chain cover. This is under the air box.. and it’s NOT the vacuum pump. Trust me I was just as confused by the term at you are.
Old 02-29-20, 05:29 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

There are 2 fuel pumps one in the tank and another high pressure one in the engine compartment, the oil pump is in the oil pan, well above it
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (03-01-20)
Old 02-29-20, 06:09 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cocal
There are 2 fuel pumps one in the tank and another high pressure one in the engine compartment, the oil pump is in the oil pan, well above it
thanks. Just took a pic of the diagram. And the service notes. Looks like it was #7 that wasn’t sealing and causing a leak. At least based on the part number.

anyways this was just to let others know my experience and to keep an eye out for it

Old 03-28-20, 03:02 PM
qwu2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZelmanGSM
it has that 01/16 on the top right corner of the picture so we are talking about about a two month period maybe, i think they produce more than 5,000 of this RX350 a month so we are talking about a big issue, with this thread we are close to a 1 out of every 10 cars affected, that was my concern as well going into the repair that they will break something else, in such an expensive vehicle having all this issues is just unfortunate.

My 2016 RX350 with 44k miles just had this "timing chain oil leak" problem fixed under warranty. It has a build date 6/16

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak