RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Squeaky wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 09:04 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I spoke with both Lexus corporate and my dealership, who were not helpful at all. Not sure what else I can do as I can't even order the parts from Japan.

Maybe Lexus is probably too busy dealing with the gurgling A/C in the US to deal with the squeaking wipers??
Old 11-11-16, 02:27 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks!! My dealership is asking to a TSB - do you have any paperwork or know of any service bulletins that Lexus of Japan put out?
Ugh sorry but I don't know of anything like that. In my fix-related papers/receipt, it was written that windshield coating was applied and silicon wiper blades were installed because the client was concerned about squeaky sounds (that was confirmed by tech personnel of course).

you dealership sounds completely unhelpful and unprofessional what's the point of paying good money for a car when you can't even get a proper service treatment for a well-known issue.
Old 12-08-16, 12:35 AM
macdee
Driver

Hey guys. More updates on the issue.
I've been taking a 1 year checkup today, so had a chance to talk to Lexus technician directly.

So current state of things is as follows:
- the main reason for the whole problem is identified to be the new wipers arm (the base to which blades are attached). These arms were made of metal on 3RX, but Lexus went with a different - slightly flexible - material for 4RX (was told it's the same as used by BMW and Audi)
- the problem is by now well known to all Lexus dealerships across the country (I'm in Japan), and anyone who complains about this issue is recommended to get silicon blades installed
- however, there doesn't seem to be a TSB or public acknowledgement kind of thing. At least not something technician was aware of.
- the issue doesn't happen for all cars, looks like it depends on precise positions of the whole wiper mechanism (how it's attached to the body, etc…). So that's probably why no TSB and such…
- actually, it's not only Lexus, but Toyota in general is aware of the issue - so far the same problem with the same reason was present across Lexus NX, Lexus RX and Toyota Vellfire (I guess, some latest models of these…)
- Toyota is pretty concerned about the issue, but at this point, seem to unable to come up with the solution (for neither of models, it seems), except for silicon blades
- current solution is as said, are silicon blades, but the proper one seems to be replacing the wiper arm at the very least
- the silicon blades solution actually is strongly recommended to be applied along with windshield coating (silicon blades seem to actually squeak more on non-coated windshields)
- I was told that probably I shouldn't get my hopes up for a proper solution coming soon (though who knows - Toyota/Lexus won't communicate much)
- was told that as my windshield coating wears thin (lifetime seems to be around 6 months, at least in my area/weather conditions), to let them know (guess they'll re-apply for free again)
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (12-16-16)
Old 12-08-16, 12:45 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by macdee
Ugh sorry but I don't know of anything like that. In my fix-related papers/receipt, it was written that windshield coating was applied and silicon wiper blades were installed because the client was concerned about squeaky sounds (that was confirmed by tech personnel of course).

you dealership sounds completely unhelpful and unprofessional what's the point of paying good money for a car when you can't even get a proper service treatment for a well-known issue.
Domo arigato macdee-san :P You have been very helpful and given me hope for even a temporary resolution in US.

Lexus corporate has completely stopped replying to me. I am considering sending my youtube video to new channels so they can see how ridiculous it is to have a $60k squeaking car. My dealership is at least willing to replace the wiper blades to see if that will help.

I can't even buy the silicon blades on my own, but based on your latest post it looks like that could make the problem even worse.
Old 12-08-16, 11:16 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2016 RX350 also has the squeaky wipers. I stopped by the Lexus dealer and he seemed well aware of the problem. He mentioned that the NX was also doing the same. He offered to clean my windshield and wiper blades to see if that would help. It did for one day and it was back to the squeak again. He also said that there was nothing that he could do and is hoping that Lexus will come up with a fix. My 2011 RX350 had super quiet wipers. I sure miss them.

Like other members have said I also am disappointed after spending so much money on a car and it isn't perfect. So far not impressed with the Lexus quality!
Old 12-09-16, 11:24 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by 16rx350
My 2016 RX350 also has the squeaky wipers. I stopped by the Lexus dealer and he seemed well aware of the problem. He mentioned that the NX was also doing the same. He offered to clean my windshield and wiper blades to see if that would help. It did for one day and it was back to the squeak again. He also said that there was nothing that he could do and is hoping that Lexus will come up with a fix. My 2011 RX350 had super quiet wipers. I sure miss them.

Like other members have said I also am disappointed after spending so much money on a car and it isn't perfect. So far not impressed with the Lexus quality!
I wonder if the 2010 owners had this many issues when 3GR RX first come out. Lexus corporate has stopped responding to my emails. This is probably low on their list:

1. 350 gurgling air conditioner noise
2. Hesitation problems
3. Excessive vibration
4. 450h brake squeak
5. Hand warmers barely warm
6. Squeaky wipers?

Also not impressed with Lexus quality and service so far.
Old 12-13-16, 10:26 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by macdee
So current state of things is as follows:
- the main reason for the whole problem is identified to be the new wipers arm (the base to which blades are attached). These arms were made of metal on 3RX, but Lexus went with a different - slightly flexible - material for 4RX (was told it's the same as used by BMW and Audi)
I just had a thought. If I replaced the 4RX blades and the piece the blade connects to with the 3RX equivalent, would this solve the problem? Or are you talking about the entire arm assembly?
Old 12-13-16, 10:37 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I just had a thought. If I replaced the 4RX blades and the piece the blade connects to with the 3RX equivalent, would this solve the problem? Or are you talking about the entire arm assembly?
Try it let us know!

It's really annoying hearing the squeaks as well as all the streaks
Old 12-13-16, 08:15 PM
macdee
Driver

Hm… IF you find an arm that's exactly the same shape as the current one, made of proper steel, so it doesn't wobble like the 4RX one, that could theoretically fix the issue.
But who knows really… Toyota is unable to fix that for over a year already, so could be something more complicated than that…
Old 12-16-16, 12:36 PM
ericsan13
Racer

I will see if I can swap my wipers with my 2010 RX later this month and then report back.

I can confirm that my 2017 RX350 loaner also suffers from the same issue.
Old 12-16-16, 05:02 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the 2010 owners had this many issues when 3GR RX first come out. Lexus corporate has stopped responding to my emails. This is probably low on their list:

1. 350 gurgling air conditioner noise
2. Hesitation problems
3. Excessive vibration
4. 450h brake squeak
5. Hand warmers barely warm
6. Squeaky wipers?

Also not impressed with Lexus quality and service so far.
i bought a 2010 in July of 2010. I was disappointed with Many minor minor issues....from memory they were 1. Rear speakers didn't work unless balance was adjusted 100% rear and then very weak. Working as designed never. 2. Vent seat fan was so weak even placing a wet hand no air felt. Working as designed. 3. 18 month old iPod would not work but 3 year old iPod would. Numerous minor things with infotainment. BS story for weeks about working with Lexus, fix possible. 3 years later got a firmware update to 2013 RX. 4. Nav a joke....on one trip of 600 miles 4 incorrect turn instruction-one had the road and me going over a cliff. After a year they suggested that I upgrade the map at my expense. 5. Voice commands seldom worked even using exact language. Slow and 3-4 commands required for simple task. No fix available. 6. Squeaky-rattling steering noise. Dealer greased steering boot several times...never fixed but I found a Lexus service bulletin from 2011 telling dealer to change out steering column under warranty. Found bulletin just after warranty expired and Lexus Corporate declined repair because dealer had not written this up-guess they didn't do anything but drive it back to shop. ($2800 repair) 7. New Car delivered a day late with dealer installed Clear Bra-bubbles, wrinkles and several edges loose.(Made them take it to someone else for a redo).

Now in all fairness this was my wife's car and she just accepted things or didn't use them. When we took it for a trip and I started driving it then I would drop by the dealer without an appointment. My Service tech was incompetent and he always had an excuse or promised to look into the issue and call. I learned a lot and now make formal appointments and deliver a written doc listing issues.

But the RX has been reliable for the most part no major mechanical issues, maybe that's why Toy has high reliability scores. . I have a friend that's a Toyota Dealer and he sits on their dealer council. He said that Toyota seldom makes running changes to anything they consider minor unless safety related. This was in response to his working with me on a Tundra Truck. He did what he could at his expense.
I test drive extensively before I buy but there is no way to find most of this. That's why I go on these Forums and get invaluable tips before I buy. Pretty much decided against another RX even though I like it very much.
Old 12-17-16, 12:11 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

GAH. I hate the squeaky wipers! haha. It's really smooth on the glass, removes the water nicely but man after the second swipe, it squeaks and streaks.
Old 12-17-16, 12:42 PM
buckse
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I know some of you will insist on waiting for Lexus to come up with a free fix, but I got tired of waiting and decided to try some third party wipers. I have replaced my OEM blades a few times in the past with PIAA and Rain-X Silicone wipers and have always been very happy with the results. So I checked the PIAA compatibility guide on their website and decided to go with their Si-Tech wipers. I decided to order off of Amazon to save a few bucks but that turned into a big mistake. When the wipers arrived they did not have an adapter to fit the 2016 RX350. So I called PIAA and they said they should fit with one of the 5 adapters they include in the packaging, but mine only had two adapters, so then the guy said, "oh you must have got one of the old ones before we updated the packaging to include 5 adapters". So I sent those back to the Amazon and ordered directly from the PIAA website to insure I got the latest packaging. Seems like the last time I replaced one of my older RX wipers it used the J-hook adapter, but this 2016 model uses a "22mm Push Button adapter". So if you want to consider any other third party wipers, make sure it has a: 22mm Push Button adapter!!!!

So here is what I ordered directly from the PIAA website (about $30 each):
21" (525Mm) Si-Tech Silicone Wiper Blade
Item #: 97053

26" (650Mm) Si-Tech Silicone Wiper Blade
Item #: 97065

You have to remove the adapter that comes on the blade, and then connect the "M" adapter directly to the blade, and then the "A" adapter, which is the 22mm Push Button connector, just snaps on top of the "M" adapter. It seems to be very well engineered. Everything fits together nicely and it is nothing loose or wobbly about it. It also comes with a Silicone cloth with some Rain-X type stuff that you are suppose to wipe the window with, but I have tested it in both warm and cold weather and the wiper is absolutely silent and streak free so I'm very happy with the result as is. Only took me about 15 minutes. I couldn't hardly see the instructions on the back of the wiper packaging so I took a picture and blew it up bigger on my phone and then it was easy to understand. Glorious silence at last!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by buckse:
aznkorboi (12-17-16), ericsan13 (12-19-16)
Old 12-17-16, 12:51 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

SO is silicone the wipers that will actually do the trick? I've always been a bosch man
Old 12-19-16, 10:48 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
SO is silicone the wipers that will actually do the trick? I've always been a bosch man
According to macdee silicone blade makes the squeaking worse. The fix is to have a rigid wiper arm.

If everyone posts a video of their squeaking wiper on youtube maybe we can get a real solution.

Quick Reply: Squeaky wipers