RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Squeaky wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-16, 09:04 AM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusRX16
I don't have squeaky wipers but my wipes shooting water back anytime wiper goes down to home position this is annoying as hell…Anyone has same issued ???
Yup. I have this issue as well. Perhaps it might just be an aligning issue or something. Will get that checked out when I get to the dealer for squeaky wipers.
Old 06-05-16, 07:04 PM
LexusRX16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NRX
Yup. I have this issue as well. Perhaps it might just be an aligning issue or something. Will get that checked out when I get to the dealer for squeaky wipers.
Thank you NRX
I email dealer and here what they said" It sounds like it is moving a lot of water and the wind is pushing it back up on the windshield. Either readjust the sensitivity to increase the spread or wipe it again by pushing the stem up manually until the water dissipates." and I did adjust sensitivity but nothing change, let me know how to fix this
Old 06-07-16, 06:05 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did some driving in rainy conditions today (light rain, 30 minutes or so) and the squeaking seems to be gone, at least pretty much most of the time. Finally regaining my sanity…

However, I STILL do feel something's off…

- when I just spray water on a mostly dry windshield (using the lever), I don't really like the "feel" of the wipers cleaning off that water. The sound is not awful or anything, but there's this sound of very quick intermittent friction between the glass and the rubber (even though it's silicon). All across the windshield. It just doesn't feel right. I mean, I could definitely be very sensitive after all the issues, but I honestly don't remember my 3RX wipers sounding like that… even if there was this kind of sound, the intermittence nature was not there… If anything, it feels like wipers are pushing too hard.

- also, even though generally, water is wiped nice and clean, now and then, there are these little lines on the windshield that look like scratches. With totally new wipers, pretty clean windshield, pretty low chances of road dust and coating to boot… it just doesn't feel/look right.

So overall, the issue seems to be pretty much gone, but I would bet quite a lot on NRX's theory of misalignment (be it wipers shape, or pressure agains the windshield, or something completely different). It definitely looks, sounds, and feels like that…
Old 06-09-16, 07:57 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm taking my '16 Rxh to the dealer next week and this is on my list. I will say, however, that after a few runs thru the car wash and having Rainx and liquid wax coating the car I don't hear the squeak/rub nearly as often. And when it's raining they are now pretty quiet. (And we've had a LOT of rain in Houston this year.) The wipers tend to make noise when the windshield is mostly dry.
Old 06-20-16, 08:28 AM
Maotai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 16 RX also has this problem. Dealer changed the wiper but didn't work at all. The noise is annoying.
Old 10-12-16, 12:47 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by macdee
Finally got my car treated at Lexus.

So basically, what they did was applying windshield coating and replacing wiper blade rubbers with silicon versions for less friction (and specifically developed at Lexus to target squeaking issues).

Coating was supposed to cost me around $90, but they very quickly and painlessly waived the payment once I complained that I don't like glass coatings in the first place and, in addition, have to pay for Lexus engineering mistakes.
Silicon wiper rubber was a free replacement. So essentially, a free service (though two hours lost I'd rather spent on something else instead).

Still no proper solution seem to exist, but hopefully this fixes the issue (no rains so far so I have no idea how well it all worked)
Can you please share the repair order for your car? Also do you know what kind of coating they applied and if it is permanent?

Lexus USA is telling me there is no such part as a silicon wiper blade or windshield coating.
Old 10-12-16, 04:08 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have this same embarrassing issue too. It doesnt take any fancy testing...even when I spray fluid on my windshield to clean then, they are super squeeky. Also, when did Lexus remove the automatic delayed final wipe when activating the washer fluid? Most luxury cars have this.
Old 10-12-16, 09:13 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Yeah this is super embarrassing, I'm really surprised they haven't issued an optional recall. Nothing like tarnishing your brand by having loud squeaky wipers...

I can only imagine the faces potential customers make when they take a test drive in the rain.
Old 10-12-16, 10:24 PM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Can you please share the repair order for your car? Also do you know what kind of coating they applied and if it is permanent?

Lexus USA is telling me there is no such part as a silicon wiper blade or windshield coating.
Oh unfortunately I don't have any related papers anymore. Not that they'd really be of any help given everything's in Japanese…

But I can definitely tell you that I had wiper blade replaced with silicon type ones. And that I got that coating for free. And the problem gone (and everything's good so far)

As for the coating, it is the standard "genuine" glass coating Lexus offers here in Japan (it is even mentioned in Japanese RX print materials, with pricing and stuff).
I guess it's pretty similar to a hydrophobic windshield/glass coating you can get elsewhere though. And it is not permanent, though it usually lasts pretty long - for about 4-6 months for me (that depends on a lot of factors of course…).

I'm not sure if these parts had (or have) any part numbers or whatever to identify… I'll try to ask my dealer and respond if I get any extra info. That'd be a good time to ask them if the issue (and a whole lot of others I have reported, like music skipping, LKA not working right) was fixed so far…

Definitely push your dealer to fix the issue. It is a well-known one on RX, it was present (and was fixed) on NX, so it's not like they can't find anything about this issue in their internal issues databases, right?…
Old 10-13-16, 12:00 AM
ericsan13
Racer

I'm not sure if these parts had (or have) any part numbers or whatever to identify… I'll try to ask my dealer and respond if I get any extra info. That'd be a good time to ask them if the issue (and a whole lot of others I have reported, like music skipping, LKA not working right) was fixed so far…

Definitely push your dealer to fix the issue. It is a well-known one on RX, it was present (and was fixed) on NX, so it's not like they can't find anything about this issue in their internal issues databases, right?…
Thanks! I hope you can find the part numbers because my dealership and Lexus corporate have no clue.

The dealer referred me to a 3rd party windshield replacement company (huh?) and then corporate. Then corporate called the dealership to ask for a fix. Standard response for the dealership seems to be to deny any knowledge and then give you the run-around.
Old 10-13-16, 09:32 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

correction on my part, the auto last wipe after using the washer jets is still there. It only happens if you pull the washer jets once...if you do it multiple times, it seems to cancel the delayed final swipe.
Old 10-15-16, 06:15 PM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks! I hope you can find the part numbers because my dealership and Lexus corporate have no clue.

The dealer referred me to a 3rd party windshield replacement company (huh?) and then corporate. Then corporate called the dealership to ask for a fix. Standard response for the dealership seems to be to deny any knowledge and then give you the run-around.
got response from my dealer.

Part numbers are:

8521348030(運転席側)- for driver's side

8522348030(助手席側)- for passenger's side

please note these these numbers are most likely for Japan domestic use. But you could try using these to get similar parts available in your country.

Also, I once again reconfirmed they (dealerships/Lexus in Japan) are aware of the issue, and are INSTRUCTED to take care of the issue the way I mentioned earlier in this thread.

STILL no proper solution it seems, but so far looks like my dealer is OK with reapplying windshield coating and changing wiper blades for free as long as the issue is not addressed properly
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (12-16-16)
Old 10-19-16, 09:01 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Had my wipers replaced and noise is gone. Old wipers were squeaky and chattery from day 1. No glass treatment needed, which I wouldnt consider a solution anyways.
Old 10-19-16, 11:30 AM
ericsan13
Racer

got response from my dealer.

Part numbers are:

8521348030(運転席側)- for driver's side

8522348030(助手席側)- for passenger's side

please note these these numbers are most likely for Japan domestic use. But you could try using these to get similar parts available in your country.

Also, I once again reconfirmed they (dealerships/Lexus in Japan) are aware of the issue, and are INSTRUCTED to take care of the issue the way I mentioned earlier in this thread.

STILL no proper solution it seems, but so far looks like my dealer is OK with reapplying windshield coating and changing wiper blades for free as long as the issue is not addressed properly
Thanks!! My dealership is asking to a TSB - do you have any paperwork or know of any service bulletins that Lexus of Japan put out?
Old 10-19-16, 11:32 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Had my wipers replaced and noise is gone. Old wipers were squeaky and chattery from day 1. No glass treatment needed, which I wouldnt consider a solution anyways.
Can you please share the paperwork or part numbers used? My dealership still has no idea.

Quick Reply: Squeaky wipers