RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Low brake power light, RX not starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 02:11 PM
JCurtis3
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the brake power message pop-up on my 2017 rx with less than 3500 miles......
still under warranty time too bring it in... free cookie and coffee time.
Old 11-22-17, 08:54 PM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is 2016 RX350. I have already replaced the brake booster twice at two different dealerships. Now after 6 months from last replacement, it's coming back again! My wife was driving the car while I was out of town. She couldn't even start the car after parking for only half an hour for shopping. She thought the battery may have some issue. It turned out the problem was still the brake which lost all the vacuum and she couldn't press it down deep enough to start the car. I am so disappointed at this point!
Old 11-23-17, 04:09 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Can you start the car using Remote Starter when this problem happened?
Old 11-29-17, 08:36 PM
Owner157
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Messages

I have received this warning message" Braking power low, stop immediately. The vehicle is a RX 350, 2017. Causes and resolution?
Old 11-30-17, 02:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

There have been some brake booster problems and it is covered under warranty. Need to go to service.
Old 11-30-17, 06:42 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Have the dealer check and adjust the stop light switch.
Old 11-30-17, 12:27 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allwheels
Have the dealer check and adjust the stop light switch.
Does the vehicle verify brake is depressed be the stop light switch or a pressure switch monitoring brake fluid pressure. I have always assumed the latter but I may be wrong.
Old 12-01-17, 10:45 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Still uses a plunger type switch mounted on the brake pedal. There are pressure sensors in the booster and abs unit for the fancy parts of the brake system. But for starting, the stop light switch is the key component.
Old 12-12-17, 02:01 PM
Bambarbia
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
Has anyone else had issues with their brakes? In December shortly after purchasing my car it began throwing a "low brake power" light in the mornings. I would get in and the brake wouldn't go down to allow me to start the car. I was able to override by holding the start button and after the car was driven it wasn't an issue until the next morning. I took it in and they replaced some tube that was leaking. 4 months later I'm having the same issue. I get in the car and the brake refuses to go down to allow me to start the car. Back to the dealer I go..........
I have absolutely the same problem right now (December 2017) with Lexus RX 350 2016. I was in service yesterday for about 2 hours at Ken Shaw Lexus and they didn't find any issue (do they read this forum?)

Ken Shaw Lexus told me "wait 10 minutes, then it will start; malfunction". It does not start. I cannot even shut off power right now. Complete malfunction. And I live 5 minutes drive from Ken Shaw, but I still forced to call Lexus Roadside Assistance. Ok, I'll call them and will provide my feedback on Ken Shaw Lexus.

Thanks a lot.

Never ever buy Ontario built Lexus again.
Old 12-13-17, 07:41 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

This is the problem I do not want her car to have regardless of warranty or not. For people who have this problem can you post your Build Date?
Old 01-13-18, 03:23 PM
Camper5
Driver School Candidate

Default Low brake light, not starting after “fix”?

Have brought my car back to the dealer 3 times...they won’t take it back in anymore because they state there is no fix at this time. I have a 2017 RX 350 that I got in May of 2017. Has anyone had success with lemon law because of this problem?
Old 01-13-18, 03:41 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camper5
Have brought my car back to the dealer 3 times...they won’t take it back in anymore because they state there is no fix at this time. I have a 2017 RX 350 that I got in May of 2017. Has anyone had success with lemon law because of this problem?
Better description please. What is a "low brake light"? Do you mean low brake fluid? Or low brake pressure?

Last edited by riwyle; 01-13-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 04:15 PM
Camper5
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx350 Starting issues

When I attempt to start the car in the morning, I get an error message that says “low brake power, pull over to a safe location, contact Lexus”. The car has been in 3 times, been “fixed” once and now I’m told there is no other fix. I have gotten this error message 20% of the time I have tried to start the car. Just wondering if anyone has pursued Lemon Law and what the success rate has been.
Old 01-15-18, 07:43 AM
Bambarbia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Camper5
When I attempt to start the car in the morning, I get an error message that says “low brake power, pull over to a safe location, contact Lexus”. The car has been in 3 times, been “fixed” once and now I’m told there is no other fix. I have gotten this error message 20% of the time I have tried to start the car.
I had similar problem. But I was lucky 2nd time because Lexus Emergency Assistance (third-party contractor) firstly tried to jump-start a car, and car started, which means Lexus battery was dead (after only 22 months of use). Mr. Ken Shaw service center replaced battery (after I hardly pushed them) and problem disappeared. Lexus computer chip may show all unimaginable weird error messages (low brake power, AWD fail, and etc.) except that "battery is dead"... no any embedded test for battery health.
Old 01-15-18, 09:56 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The computer responds to low battery voltage by sending error messages for some reason. On my LS460, I got the brake failure message so I pulled into an empty parking lot and tried them. Brakes worked normally so I drove to dealer. New battery fixed issue. This is not related to the brake booster leak issue. If you have enform subscription, car will start with remote even when booster pressure is low.

Quick Reply: Low brake power light, RX not starting?