RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Low brake power light, RX not starting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 05:23 AM
ngross26
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by computerwi
The low brake power is a recognized problem others have experienced. Hopefully there is a campaign for this soon. See this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-problem.html
I have had this problem since I got my car. Happens every single time I haven't started the car for 3 or more days. When I took it to dealer they claimed they couldn't duplicate the issue and I simply didn't know how to start my car properly. They were actually quite condescending. Will push the issue when I go in for my first oil change in about 2,000 miles. In the meantime I simply try 4 or 5 times until the car cooperates and eventually starts. Very disappointing for a brand new, luxury car with all the bells and whistles!! Shame shame Lexus. You screwed up.
The following users liked this post:
Maryjo (04-08-20)
Old 12-19-16, 07:46 AM
TontoG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ngross26
I have had this problem since I got my car. Happens every single time I haven't started the car for 3 or more days. When I took it to dealer they claimed they couldn't duplicate the issue and I simply didn't know how to start my car properly. They were actually quite condescending. Will push the issue when I go in for my first oil change in about 2,000 miles. In the meantime I simply try 4 or 5 times until the car cooperates and eventually starts. Very disappointing for a brand new, luxury car with all the bells and whistles!! Shame shame Lexus. You screwed up.
Have you tried to record a video of this problem and show the dealer? I had a similar issues with starting a car (previous Honda I owned) and dealer finally believed me when I showed them a video.
Old 12-19-16, 08:44 AM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue last week. I jump started it and drove it to the dealer for an unrelated scheduled service visit. I was dead at the dealer after they serviced it and went to start it up.

They put a new battery in and told us that the car needs to be used often enough and on long enough drives to keep the battery fully charged. Whenever I check the vehicles status with the Enform App, it shows that it is transmitting data. We have less than a 1000 miles on the car! This is not the first car we have had by any means, lol. I think there IS a problem related to the electronics and communications that slowly, continuously drains the battery.
Old 12-19-16, 09:44 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a bad battery. Get it replaced. Had mine replaced under warranty at 4000km because of same issue. They told me they tested the battery and it was fine but replaced it anyway just to make sure.

I have not had any issues since.
Old 12-19-16, 12:06 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

I would tell the dealer you want to meet with the area Lexus rep. Not sure why the dealer does not want to escalate unless they don't want to admit their troubleshooting and research skills are not at a level they need to be.

You might also consider trying another dealer.
Old 12-19-16, 01:07 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Take videos, post it on youtube. Spread the news...
Old 12-20-16, 02:47 PM
Liphotoman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobL27
I had this issue last week. I jump started it and drove it to the dealer for an unrelated scheduled service visit. I was dead at the dealer after they serviced it and went to start it up.

They put a new battery in and told us that the car needs to be used often enough and on long enough drives to keep the battery fully charged. Whenever I check the vehicles status with the Enform App, it shows that it is transmitting data. We have less than a 1000 miles on the car! This is not the first car we have had by any means, lol. I think there IS a problem related to the electronics and communications that slowly, continuously drains the battery.

THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! I live where I can walk to most places, so we only drive the car a few days a wek, sometimes not driving it for WEEKS if we are away. Taking delivery of new '17 tomorrow - this is certainly making me nervous.
Old 02-06-17, 02:40 PM
falada
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same issue about 4 times in the 2 months. My car has about 9500 miles. It's a 2017 RX 350. The brake pedal would not depress to start. A warning light showed quickly essentially saying "parking brake low pressure. pull over (don't recall final details)". Could not get picture. Then the car went ahead and started and the brake pressure apparently returned and I was able to depress. This happens when I first start in the morning. And in the last case was sitting 2 days in my garage. It's about 50 degrees F in the garage. Once it's started it's not a problem. It happened right before my 5000 mile service. Dealer found so error codes so couldn't validate my claim. Will take these comments and return Feb 10 2017 for my scheduled service and report this error again.
Old 02-08-17, 10:50 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Failure to Start Engine - 2016 RX 350

A few weeks ago, my RX350 failed to start engine and showed a message something like "Low Brake" pressure. The start button produced no noise at all, I tried it about six times with no noise from the starter. Then after a few seconds I tried it again a few times and the starter seemed to want to engage with a ratchet type noise. A few tries later, the engine finally turned over but did not start. Held my breath, crossed my fingers and tried again and the "Engine" turned over and ran OK. Cancelled AAA and drove to the dealer for replacement of the "Brake Servo". Only took a week to get the part and install, 2015 RX350 loaner provided at no cost. Gave me an opportunity to revisit the 3d Gen RX350, and I've decided I like the 4th Gen better.
Old 02-26-17, 08:26 PM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had the problem last year after drove the new car for only two months. The dealer had replaced the brake servo. Just in a year, for the last week or two, the same problem is coming back again!!! Unbelievable the Lexus parts is so unreliable!!! I am going to get it replaced again but I start to worry about this.
Old 07-22-17, 08:33 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Braking issue notification

I've been driving my mothers RX and this is the second time a notification has come up once you put your foot on the brake to turn the car one it says something about brake being low but disappears to fast to read. I'm not sure exactly what it is and neither is the dealer. I was just wondering if anyone else has been getting this notification
Old 07-22-17, 10:02 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Not sure what year RX but there were some brake pump problems with the 2016/2017 models.

I would get get it back to the dealer. Brakes are one of those things you do not want to fail.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 07-22-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 02:13 PM
syntxerr
Driver School Candidate

If it only happens when you start the car, it's most likely "Depress brake and then start engine." If the error was "Brake Fluid Low," it wouldn't go away like that.
Old 07-22-17, 02:16 PM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by syntxerr
If it only happens when you start the car, it's most likely "Depress brake and then start engine." If the error was "Brake Fluid Low," it wouldn't go away like that.

it's not that one, I get an error message about brake being low it's a quick message but I can't start the car unless i force the pedal down then if I turn it off and try turning it back on the brake pedal isn't stiff anymore and it starts just fine
Old 07-22-17, 02:46 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

stop talking on this forum and take your car to the dealer STAT!!

Quick Reply: Low brake power light, RX not starting?