RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 02:33 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by ja16336
My dealership said the gurgling noise is from the sunroof drainage.
That totally makes sense!

I'm surprised they didn't say it's because someone might be flushing the toilet at home.
Old 12-06-16, 03:06 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ja16336
My dealership said the gurgling noise is from the sunroof drainage.
That's so ridiculous! I wouldn't trust them to change the oil....either really stupid or trying to get rid of you-either way must be a better dealer?
Old 12-08-16, 03:31 PM
NCis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fixed - Maybe

So it took a while to get this completed, but this is the information I got. The fix requires a Lexus technician to perform the work. They replaced the refrigerant hoses and expansion valve.
unfortunately it's cold now so I can't confirm it worked, only that the work has been done.
Hopefully the image will show up, which is a shot of the completed work order.

Good luck y'all.
The following 3 users liked this post by NCis250:
adambomb6 (01-20-17), dchar (12-17-16), TLKBTK1027 (07-08-19)
Old 12-16-16, 10:54 PM
darthsavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the image. My 2016 F Sport has the same A/C sound, leaky sunroof and steering wheel & seats that don't get hot. It's my first Lexus and likely my last based on the above. Back to BMW for me. I only switched because of the reliability claims and looks. X5 loooking really good right now.

Also, whoever buried the electric window defroster deep into the climate menu should be fired. Try doing that when it's -20. For a car made in Canada, it clearly wasn't tested in the cold.
Old 12-17-16, 04:43 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by darthsavi
Thanks for the image. My 2016 F Sport has the same A/C sound, leaky sunroof and steering wheel & seats that don't get hot. It's my first Lexus and likely my last based on the above. Back to BMW for me. I only switched because of the reliability claims and looks. X5 loooking really good right now.

Also, whoever buried the electric window defroster deep into the climate menu should be fired. Try doing that when it's -20. For a car made in Canada, it clearly wasn't tested in the cold.
Where is it leaking from?

Did you adjust seat temprature settings in the vehicle settings? It makes a difference.

Also, that is not the defroster in the settings menu, it's the windshield wiper deicer.

Defroster is still the bottom on the dash.
Old 12-17-16, 07:33 AM
darthsavi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Where is it leaking from?

Did you adjust seat temprature settings in the vehicle settings? It makes a difference.

Also, that is not the defroster in the settings menu, it's the windshield wiper deicer.

Defroster is still the bottom on the dash.
Thx for the tip on the seats. I'll try it but it looks like that customization is for the Auto mode only and mine aren't hot even when I manually put them on High.

Sunroof is leaking from the seal. Found out after taking it to the car wash. Dealer sprayed something on the seal lol which did nothing to help.

The wiper de-icer is the one I was referring to. Great feature, horrible UI design. It frankly should turn on automatically as part of the defrost cycle whenever it's below zero and the buried option should be to disable it but that would make too much sense lol.
Old 12-17-16, 10:26 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

t's my first Lexus and likely my last based on the above. Back to BMW for me. I only switched because of the reliability claims and looks. X5 loooking really good right now.
BMW and reliable? Ha! That's a good one

My cousin finally got to getting a new car for the first time. He decided to get a 440i Gran Coupe. After getting jerked around and bent over by the sales department, he finally got a car in the color combo he wanted. Then the nightmare began...As soon as he started it to drive off the lot, the coolant light came on. The salesperson said to bring it back when he had time and they will top it off. By the next day, he received a overheating warning and a giant leak of coolant in the garage. It took him over an hour to arrange roadside assistance to tow his car, but he wasn't in the system yet. Then the service department couldn't find his info when he got there. The entire radiator had to be replaced, on a car with less than 100 miles. He was told that the repair would take 2 weeks since the part needed to be ordered from Germany. They gave him a 228i convertible to drive. My cousin was not a happy camper. Two weeks goes by and they call him that the car isn't ready and they need to keep it "indefinitely." The dealer was sent the wrong parts 3 times (supposedly). You can imagine how furious my cousin was when he realized he couldn't drive his brand new car for almost a month.

My other cousin who had a 335is coupe, needed his car towed three times due to major engine issues towards the end of his 3. year lease.

So every time I hear how "well-built" and "reliable" BMW cars are, I can't help but laugh
Old 12-17-16, 11:26 AM
darthsavi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
BMW and reliable? Ha! That's a good one

My cousin finally got to getting a new car for the first time. He decided to get a 440i Gran Coupe. After getting jerked around and bent over by the sales department, he finally got a car in the color combo he wanted. Then the nightmare began...As soon as he started it to drive off the lot, the coolant light came on. The salesperson said to bring it back

when he had time and they will top it off. By the next day, he received a overheating warning and a giant leak of coolant in the garage. It took him over an hour to arrange roadside assistance to tow his car, but he wasn't in the system yet. Then the service department couldn't find his info when he got there. The entire radiator had to be replaced, on a car with less than 100 miles. He was told that the repair would take 2 weeks since the part needed to be ordered from Germany. They gave him a 228i convertible to drive. My cousin was not a happy camper. Two weeks goes by and they call him that the car isn't ready and they need to keep it "indefinitely." The dealer was sent the wrong parts 3 times (supposedly). You can imagine how furious my cousin was when he realized he couldn't drive his brand new car for almost a month.

My other cousin who had a 335is coupe, needed his car towed three times due to major engine issues towards the end of his 3. year lease.

So every time I hear how "well-built" and "reliable" BMW cars are, I can't help but laugh
Didnt say BMW was more reliable, agree that they are not. They just get some of the comfort things right while Lexus does not. Many things I love about my Lexus but it'a the little things that make a difference. Also, there's nothing better than the sound and acceleration from that straight six German motor. My Lexus might have more power but it sounds like a sewing machine which is too bad because it moves great!
Old 12-19-16, 10:43 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Didnt say BMW was more reliable, agree that they are not. They just get some of the comfort things right while Lexus does not. Many things I love about my Lexus but it'a the little things that make a difference. Also, there's nothing better than the sound and acceleration from that straight six German motor. My Lexus might have more power but it sounds like a sewing machine which is too bad because it moves great!
Cold weather package was clearly put in as an afterthought. The X5 is actually quicker than the RX btw. It doesn't have the jerky transmission either, although the dynamic cruise control is very uncomfortable to use.

There are other issues with the X5. This is just what I remember from my test drive:
1. Steering wheel warmer button was positioned in a horrible place
2. No lane keep assist
3. No self opening trunk
4. Dakota leather is junk, nappa leather is expensive but the only one worth getting
5. 20" rims cost extra
Old 12-20-16, 09:28 AM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The FIX is out

Originally Posted by fheapes
So I'm not crazy, my RX Fsport has this same issue. Very annoying!!!
Looking forward to the FIX.
Just heard that Lexus have released a recommend fix for the gurgling / swishing noise.
Old 12-20-16, 10:35 AM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

taking my RX to Longo Lexus for the 10k service this Friday, will definitely bring this issue up again, last time they said no remedy yet, will keep you guys posted. thanks NCis250.
Old 12-23-16, 08:44 AM
dukesean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fheapes
Just heard that Lexus have released a recommend fix for the gurgling / swishing noise.
Where did you hear that from? Someone else mentioned that earlier in the thread and yet still no TSB according to my dealer. I bother them a lot about it.
Old 12-28-16, 05:14 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,219 Likes on 634 Posts

Also, there's nothing better than the sound and acceleration from that straight six German motor.
Have you ever heard a V8 or...
Old 12-28-16, 07:58 PM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

TSB is out but I can't get it to open on my iPad.
Attached Thumbnails Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)-img_0082.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by ssmtsx:
adambomb6 (01-20-17), TLKBTK1027 (07-08-19)
Old 12-29-16, 09:56 AM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

TSB is out, the issue is fixed at the dealer with no cost, they replaced the scx pipe assembly. see my pic 4 details.

The following users liked this post:
adambomb6 (01-20-17)

Quick Reply: Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)