RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 05:50 AM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
pdaeng, I've merged your thread. Let's keep it in one place for now.

The 450h is slightly different in the sense the air conditioner is powered by electric. Which means it won't impact gas mileage. But there will be some noise from the fans if it's anything like the 3RX. Nothing horrible though. I haven't heard anything unusual in my 450h F-Sport yet. But the weather has been somewhat on the chilly side here. I also haven't had the RXh a week yet. Next week I should be able to use the air conditioner more.
This is why I ask how about 450h, as 450h has a different AC system compared to 350.

Thanks for the information.

Anyway, I am still waiting for my special ordered car, which means I have the chance to thoroughly test it before sign my name.
Old 05-20-16, 05:55 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys, Lexus Master Tech here.

We are aware of the issue, and filling the freon to the max amount seems to fix it. There is an improved expansion valve in development right now, but I have no current ETA of when it will be released.
Old 05-21-16, 02:14 PM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NotADood
and filling the freon to the max amount seems to fix it.
IDK about that. There are many previous post here stating Lexus service filling Freon to no avail. Also, my service told me they would not even touch it right now, until a solution is found.

Edit:
Anyone considered filing for the Lemon Law. Would this even hold up in court?

Last edited by clwu; 05-21-16 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 05-22-16, 05:19 AM
pab9999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clwu
IDK about that. There are many previous post here stating Lexus service filling Freon to no avail. Also, my service told me they would not even touch it right now, until a solution is found.

Edit:
Anyone considered filing for the Lemon Law. Would this even hold up in court?
I took my rx350 to Lexus for third time to resolve gurgling. Seemed to be fixed for one day, next day.. Noise is back. I'm considering lemon law.. This is not my only issue w rx. So disappointed!
Old 05-22-16, 03:04 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Noise not present on my 450h F sport. Any 450h owners have this?
Old 05-23-16, 06:01 PM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

Cool. No pun intended! Looking forward to a fix.
Old 05-23-16, 06:23 PM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id love to know if this rises to the level of the Lemon Law since I've had mine in numerous times for the ac issue and have had 2 new brake boosters since I bought it 6 months ago.

Originally Posted by pab9999
I took my rx350 to Lexus for third time to resolve gurgling. Seemed to be fixed for one day, next day.. Noise is back. I'm considering lemon law.. This is not my only issue w rx. So disappointed!
Old 05-23-16, 06:24 PM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

That does not fix it. Been there. Done that.

We are aware of the issue, and filling the freon to the max amount seems to fix it. There is an improved expansion valve in development right now, but I have no current ETA of when it will be released.
Old 05-24-16, 09:58 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdme
Noise not present on my 450h F sport. Any 450h owners have this?
Originally Posted by kitlz
The 450h is slightly different in the sense the air conditioner is powered by electric. Which means it won't impact gas mileage. But there will be some noise from the fans if it's anything like the 3RX. Nothing horrible though. I haven't heard anything unusual in my 450h F-Sport yet. But the weather has been somewhat on the chilly side here. I also haven't had the RXh a week yet. Next week I should be able to use the air conditioner more.
I have the 450h sans F-Sport and have not heard this noise after almost 1500 miles. I do, however, notice that when both the AC blower and the seat ventilator are on high there is an annoying squeal from the ventilator fan. Turn either fan down 1 notch and the noise goes away.
Old 06-08-16, 07:41 AM
e60528i
Driver School Candidate

NotADood,

Thanks for your suggestion. Your suggested method in fact did not fix the issue. This had been attempted by the technician at Lexus of Tulsa on my RX350 before (See my post in Page 2). Are you a technician at a Lexus service center or at the Lexus Corporate R&D? Please tell the Lexus Corporate or Toyota Corporate that filling up the Freon does not resolve the issue.
This AC noise in my RX350 is getting louder and distinct and it makes me feel like I'm driving a cheaper car like Scion or Toyota. They should call it Scion RX350!!! This is my first Lexus and potentially could be my last! Very disappointed with Lexus product! I never had issue with my BMW and Cayenne and my wife's new Cayenne. However, I do appreciate the friendliness and service that my salesperson, service consultant and service tech manager provided when I sent in my RX350 for this issue!
Old 06-09-16, 01:25 PM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e60528i
NotADood,

Thanks for your suggestion. Your suggested method in fact did not fix the issue. This had been attempted by the technician at Lexus of Tulsa on my RX350 before (See my post in Page 2). Are you a technician at a Lexus service center or at the Lexus Corporate R&D? Please tell the Lexus Corporate or Toyota Corporate that filling up the Freon does not resolve the issue.
This AC noise in my RX350 is getting louder and distinct and it makes me feel like I'm driving a cheaper car like Scion or Toyota. They should call it Scion RX350!!! This is my first Lexus and potentially could be my last! Very disappointed with Lexus product! I never had issue with my BMW and Cayenne and my wife's new Cayenne. However, I do appreciate the friendliness and service that my salesperson, service consultant and service tech manager provided when I sent in my RX350 for this issue!
Felt exactly the same way as you...
A ~60K car shouldn't have such a noise.
Old 06-09-16, 02:39 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this sound develops over time, because I test drove two RX350 and didn't hear anythin.
Old 06-09-16, 02:51 PM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Does this sound develops over time, because I test drove two RX350 and didn't hear anythin.
The noise doesn't always happen but frequent enough to be sad by driving it...
Mine has only 900 miles.
Old 06-09-16, 05:13 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXLexusF
The noise doesn't always happen but frequent enough to be sad by driving it...
Mine has only 900 miles.
Would you buy your rx350 again or wait if you knew about the Ac noise and engine vibration?
Old 06-10-16, 09:45 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Would you buy your rx350 again or wait if you knew about the Ac noise and engine vibration?
This is a subjective question, some may wait and others might not. I know there are a a lot of folks on this forum that are posting on this thread complaining about this noise because the vehicle costs so much money, however I don't believe any vehicle will be perfect and no matter what you buy there will be something that is off. So this would be something you'd have to test for yourself and make a decision.

I personally don't mind the noise at all, typically I have some sort of music or radio going that drowns it out. Even when the cabin is silent and I can hear the sound it doesn't bother me since it's still low and only noticeable if you're looking for it (I've had many friends in my RX that didn't notice it until I pointed it out to them) and at least I know where it's coming from and that it's not something that's broken in the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)