RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 11:05 AM
primerib
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a new 2016 RX350 two weeks ago and I noticed this gurgling sound from my AC too, its quite noticeable. Took it back to dealer this week, the service report said this sound is a "normal characteristic of the vehicle". I don't think so and I don't feel right about it. But reading other comments here that there is no known fix at the moment, I guess we just have to wait for Lexus to come up with a solution. I suggest every owner that has this same issue please contact Lexus head office so this issue can be escalated internally. You can call or email at the following link:
http://www.lexus.com/contact
Old 05-13-16, 10:38 AM
curf
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has the gurgling sound too It's not very loud. Hopefully Lexus will find a solution for it.
Old 05-14-16, 01:10 PM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

So I'm not crazy, my RX Fsport has this same issue. Very annoying!!!
Looking forward to the FIX.
Old 05-14-16, 03:58 PM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewyang
Hmmm..... my AC also makes a sound, but it is really different. If you have the fan on high, it sounds like drilling at a construction site from somewhere in the trunk area. Very annoying and high pitched, and it seems to be related to the set temperature. I think it must be a defect because mine doesn't make that gurgling sound.
If you are turning the temperature all the way down instead of the fan and hearing that sound, then it might be the ventilated seat fan going on. That sound can be like wind turbine spinning when the vent seat fan is on high.
The following users liked this post:
ydotl (03-25-21)
Old 05-16-16, 06:44 AM
pab9999
Driver School Candidate

Default Gurgling noise annoying - AC

My new rx350 2016 also has this annoying gurgling noise. I've taken it to the dealership twice to resolve and still have the issue. They didn't even try to fix it the first time. The second time to service, they called me and said.. 'we don't hear the noise' so I drove to dealership and immediately showed them the noise. technician said 'oh, this is a common issue' and they put me back in loaner car, added refrigerant. Noise didn't happen when I picked up vehicle but when I arrived home, the noise started again. I'm taking the vehicle to a different dealership. Very disappointed as the noise is annoying.

Let me know if anyone has experienced the same gurgling noise and the dealership successfully resolved issue. thanks!

I'm going to continue taking to dealership until they get tired of me and recall this car... It has so many aggrevating issues that didn't happen during test drive. I guess because the salesman always put me in the most expensive RX for test drives and I purchased the middle of road price range.. ??
Old 05-16-16, 08:25 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by pab9999
I'm going to continue taking to dealership until they get tired of me and recall this car... It has so many aggrevating issues that didn't happen during test drive. I guess because the salesman always put me in the most expensive RX for test drives and I purchased the middle of road price range.. ??
Quality and reliability of an RX is not based on its price; cars with the Luxury Package has the same A/C unit as base cars, so they have the same chance of having this annoying problem. Unless you drove a RX450h on the testdrive, then the car would've been fairly different than the RX350.
Old 05-16-16, 01:33 PM
tinachai
Driver School Candidate

Default Gurgling sound

UGH! Sorry to hear you have that problem but so do I! I'm pretty disappointed in having paid so much for a fully loaded model and to have this as well. Hope there's a solution fast.
Old 05-16-16, 07:58 PM
seraphicsw
Driver School Candidate

Default noisy AC

Originally Posted by mydayjob
Found this youtube that captures the sound....
2016 RX 350 ac noise - YouTube
I have the same issue. Service center know about this issue. but they told me that there was no solution so far. I'm so disappointed.
Old 05-18-16, 08:53 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, when I purchased the car I specifically listened for this noise during the test drive and it wasnt there. Im at about 1000 miles now and it just started happening... I thought I had lucked out and gotten one without the gurgling sounds.
Old 05-18-16, 09:46 AM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My home train AC unit has this same sound.
Old 05-19-16, 08:21 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is the AC or Seat Gurgling Noise a 350 specific issue or 450h as well?

I know some 350 owners have these issue.

Any 450h owner find the problems too?

Last edited by pdaeng; 05-19-16 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 09:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaeng
I know some 350 owners have these issue.

Any 450h own find the problems too?
Read the dedicated thread
Old 05-19-16, 11:08 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Read the dedicated thread
Unfortunately, I read it. but no clue for 450h.

I ordered a full-loaded 450h F sport, however, If 450h has similar problem, I will cancel my order.

Can not image Lexus has this kind of cheap issue.

It seems that Lexus uses a very cheap motor for the AC fans.

My previous car has the same issue and was told because it used cheap brush electric motor.

Ideally, should use those brushless motor.

Unless change to the brushless motor, this kind of noise is always there and It will come out sooner or later eventually. Very annoying sound in a quiet cabin.
Old 05-20-16, 03:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I have a 350 and do not have any issues with the fan or Gurgling (Yet). The little AC refrigerant noise inside the dash is very minor on mine.

As far as the fan, the only thing I hear is the air flow through the fan in the seat back, only when it is running on high. The dealer can reduce the airflow settings with the Techstream, if it bothers you. It does not bother me at all.

As a side note, I am very picky when it comes to any noise or deficiencies in the car, especially one at this price!!
Old 05-20-16, 03:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

pdaeng, I've merged your thread. Let's keep it in one place for now.

The 450h is slightly different in the sense the air conditioner is powered by electric. Which means it won't impact gas mileage. But there will be some noise from the fans if it's anything like the 3RX. Nothing horrible though. I haven't heard anything unusual in my 450h F-Sport yet. But the weather has been somewhat on the chilly side here. I also haven't had the RXh a week yet. Next week I should be able to use the air conditioner more.

Quick Reply: Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)