RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 03:47 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont like it on my 450H. Ride quality suck and they are noisy. Damn, forgot to ask dealer to switch to Michelin before taking the car.
Old 10-23-18, 06:03 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
From the "Tire Rack" website. It got a 7.1 "Good" rating on hydroplaning resistance in the reviews by customers. Of course, wear matters.

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT

FREE SHIPPING
(29)
Reviews (27)
Click to Compare
BRIDGESTONE
ECOPIA H/L 422 PLUS (ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT)

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
  • Size: 235/65R18 106V
  • Eco Focus: Ecopia
  • Serv. Desc: 106V
  • UTQG: 600 A A
Your links don’t work, but I have 20” tires. These are tires for tree huggers. Most reviews with any substantial mileage, indicate they are garbage. If you are looking at a new RX, make sure it DOESN’T have these tires. It appears that most people find these tires average to below average on what’s supposed to be an above average vehicle. They are certainly not up to par with the other tires in this segment:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings...reDetail=true#

Last edited by gadgetman1; 10-23-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-23-18, 05:36 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I had Michelin tires on my 3RX. They were great. I got almost 70K miles out of the first set. I now have Bridgestone Ecopia tires on my 4RX. They are great too. I don't go off road at all (normal for most SUV, I guess). Lost maybe 1/10 of the original thread at 6K miles, so I expect these to last the usual 60K miles. I am not getting the noise others were talking about, but maybe my driving condition is different. I know the Ecopia is suppose to be low rolling resistance tires which should increase the miles/gallon
Old 10-24-18, 06:51 AM
Jrounsborg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the manager of a large tire dealer who normally does not deal in Bridgestone but I have to say I am quite impressed with the tires on mine. I have the 20s. Now when I put my new wheels and tires on I’ll probably be putting on Contis ExtremeContact DWS06 on in a 255/40R22. That is the best tire on the markets hands down.
Old 10-24-18, 07:21 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrounsborg
I am the manager of a large tire dealer who normally does not deal in Bridgestone but I have to say I am quite impressed with the tires on mine. I have the 20s. Now when I put my new wheels and tires on I’ll probably be putting on Contis ExtremeContact DWS06 on in a 255/40R22. That is the best tire on the markets hands down.
I had 2 sets of Conti DWS on my MB E350 and although the snow traction was good it wasn't so good on ice and cold weather performance as the rubber compound was hardening, I had Nokian WR G3 on my wife's outback that performed quite well year round in our climate, so I ditched the michelins that came with my RX350 after 12,000 Km and put on a set of Toyo Celcius CUVs, am looking forward to seeing how they'll do on their 1st winter. The nokians didn't come in 20".
Old 10-24-18, 08:09 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Jrounsborg
Contis? Please share a link, as I’ve never heard of this brand. I realize everyone’s experience & perspective of tires can be different, but these Bridgestones don’t impress me even a little. My fuel mileage isn’t what it should be, the tires handle terrible on dry & wet pavement. I never go “off road” & I’ve never driven this vehicle in the snow, so I can’t speak for that. I found it interesting that Tire Rack’s web site doesn’t even list these Bridgestone tires in their “recommended” tires. They are listed as OEM & fitting our vehicle. To me, that says a lot! Their #1 reccomendation was the Goodyear Assurance. I had some a long time ago & they were great - not sure about them in today’s world.
Old 10-24-18, 08:44 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Contis? Please share a link, as I’ve never heard of this brand. I realize everyone’s experience & perspective of tires can be different, but these Bridgestones don’t impress me even a little. My fuel mileage isn’t what it should be, the tires handle terrible on dry & wet pavement. I never go “off road” & I’ve never driven this vehicle in the snow, so I can’t speak for that. I found it interesting that Tire Rack’s web site doesn’t even list these Bridgestone tires in their “recommended” tires. They are listed as OEM & fitting our vehicle. To me, that says a lot! Their #1 reccomendation was the Goodyear Assurance. I had some a long time ago & they were great - not sure about them in today’s world.
Conti is the short form for Continental DWS (Dry Wet Snow) these are german tires. Google them and you'll get all the answers
Old 10-24-18, 09:34 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocal
Conti is the short form for Continental DWS (Dry Wet Snow) these are german tires. Google them and you'll get all the answers
Oh duh! Now I know what you are talking about. I’ve heard really good things about Continental tires.
Old 10-24-18, 09:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Oh duh! Now I know what you are talking about. I’ve heard really good things about Continental tires.
My neighbor has those on his GTI and they were shot after 25K miles. Conti has a great reputation I know but experience will vary I guess with driving conditions etc.
Old 10-30-18, 06:54 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My neighbor has those on his GTI and they were shot after 25K miles. Conti has a great reputation I know but experience will vary I guess with driving conditions etc.
You are comparing apples to cantaloupes. The GTI tires are performance tires, thus, the rubber compounds will wear out much faster than touring/economy tires that are designed to go at least 40,000+ miles.

Did anyone purchase a tire warranty through their Lexus dealer? I did, because I worked in an area that handled metal & everyone would eventually end up with a piece of scrap metal in their tires. I wonder if the warranty covers replacement to another brand?

Last edited by gadgetman1; 10-30-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 07:57 AM
Cocal
Racer

Did anyone purchase a tire warrant through their Lexus dealer? I did, because I worked in an area that handled metal & everyone would eventually end up with a piece of scrap metal in their tires. I wonder if the warranty covers replacement to another brand?
I don't think so, as that warranty is probably given by the tire manufacturer to the Lexus outlets. I wanted to buy my tires from the dealer, but they didn't have the make nor model, I found out that the tires sold by dealers are negotiated by Lexus HQ with the various tire manufacturers, that's why there is a ltd amount of brands and models.

Last edited by Cocal; 10-30-18 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-30-18, 11:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

You are comparing apples to cantaloupes. The GTI tires are performance tires, thus, the rubber compounds will wear out much faster than touring/economy tires that are designed to go at least 40,000+ miles.

Did anyone purchase a tire warranty through their Lexus dealer? I did, because I worked in an area that handled metal & everyone would eventually end up with a piece of scrap metal in their tires. I wonder if the warranty covers replacement to another brand?
You're saying the rubber compounds are different in the same tire depending on size? I doubt that. But I do like cantaloupes regardless. Good luck getting 40K+ miles out of any tire with a heavy SUV.

Last edited by mikemu30; 10-30-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 06:11 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

You're saying the rubber compounds are different in the same tire depending on size? I doubt that. But I do like cantaloupes regardless. Good luck getting 40K+ miles out of any tire with a heavy SUV.
Different rubber compounds on the same tire would be very true in a motorcycle tire, but what I was referring to was the tires on the GTI. They are low profile with stiff sidewalls & very soft, sticky rubber on the tread for great traction, but high wear. The Lexus tires are the opposite, with flexing sidewalls for a smoother ride & harder tread compounds for long wear. The Ecopias are supposed to run for more than 40,000 miles. At the rate I’m going, these things will be trash by 30,000 miles.
Old 10-30-18, 06:18 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Different rubber compounds on the same tire would be very true in a motorcycle tire, but what I was referring to was the tires on the GTI. They are low profile with stiff sidewalls & very soft, sticky rubber on the tread for great traction, but high wear. The Lexus tires are the opposite, with flexing sidewalls for a smoother ride & harder tread compounds for long wear. The Ecopias are supposed to run for more than 40,000 miles. At the rate I’m going, these things will be trash by 30,000 miles.
I get it but Im beginning to wonder if any tires actually last as long as the treadlife promises. Seems too good to be true but who knows. I have the Michelins on the RX and while they seem to be wearing okay, I'll be happy to get 40k miles out of them.
Old 10-30-18, 07:14 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I get it but Im beginning to wonder if any tires actually last as long as the treadlife promises. Seems too good to be true but who knows. I have the Michelins on the RX and while they seem to be wearing okay, I'll be happy to get 40k miles out of them.
I agree. If one drives straight highway miles and keeps their tires rotated every 5,000 miles, you can get close. I had some excellent luck with Goodyear Assurance tires on a Buick that I put all highway miles on. Those tires lasted more than expected.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)