RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 02:05 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage

You guys might have seen my setup in prior posts, but just wanted to show you i was barely able to squeeze my car into my garage with a particular Thule Cargo Box. I have a regular moonroof RX and i'm using the OEM Lexus Crossbar, Lexus Part # PT278-48160

Cargo box i'm using is a few years old, but its Thule Sonic 633B

My garage entrance height is exactly 82.25" high. I can pull into my garage with literally only 1.50" of room to spare. So, my car's total height with my Thule cargo box is approximately 80.75" high

Here are the other pics

The following users liked this post:
morocco (06-24-18)
Old 04-27-16, 08:11 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice post man!

Check out my recent setup

It most definitely won't fit in my garage lol

OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage-image_7a05e5c21c55357be5c043e391b0ec1b133a7e45.jpeg

New Thule toys!

OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage-image_94c76a892d4d46918244ab8e2929665b22a36231.jpeg

Sonic Cargo Box size Medium- goal was to be able to fit my snowboard and still have ability to open lift gate.

OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage-image_1b38452069bf84c945153a156ad87c2d787a6041.jpeg

OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage-image_99a192fe88f739cba2784e988c37d08a65479e01.jpeg
morocco (06-24-18)
Old 04-27-16, 09:47 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

^^ That box looks like someone put my box inside a trash compactor and turned it on and squished. it....Hhahaha. Oh, ya i can't fully open my rear tail gate all the way, even though the box is pushed up as far as it goes, but it opens sufficiently. BTW if that's a new box, go put a coat of wax/paint sealant on it....
morocco (06-24-18)
Old 04-27-16, 09:52 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by skiracer
^^ That box looks like someone put my box inside a trash compactor and turned it on and squished. it....Hhahaha. Oh, ya i can't fully open my rear tail gate all the way, even though the box is pushed up as far as it goes, but it opens sufficiently. BTW if that's a new box, go put a coat of wax/paint sealant on it....
I used to have long cargo box like yours on my 4Runner and I hated my tail gate hitting it, so this one fits my snowboard just barely and considering no one is taller than me I went with the medium. I do wish it was slimmer and not so high, Thule does not make a size Med box that is thinner though.

Good call on the wax sealant, it is a new box. I went a little crazy on Thule's website.
Old 07-19-16, 09:35 AM
mikli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who makes the shortest crossbars to minimize the overall height with a ski box?

I have a 450h F sport with pano roof.
Old 07-19-16, 01:15 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Lexus OEM crossbars won't work with Pano roofs. I think Thule is the only game in town right now for those with Pano roofs. You might want to check yakima to see if they have for sale yet...
Old 07-19-16, 01:22 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Lexus OEM crossbars won't work with Pano roofs. I think Thule is the only game in town right now for those with Pano roofs. You might want to check yakima to see if they have for sale yet...
Someone have mentioned previously that factory bars works in pinch mode but no one has shown any pics yet.

Last edited by SFocLA; 07-19-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-19-16, 01:49 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Someone have mentioned previous factory bars works in pinch mode but no one has shown any pics yet.
OEM Crossbars torque wrench specs are only 8Nm or 71 in/lbf. Yes that's inches, not foot pounds. I wouldn't certainly use the Pinch method with those miniscule torque specs.
Old 07-19-16, 01:53 PM
SFocLA
Driver

OEM Crossbars torque wrench specs are only 8Nm or 71 in/lbf. Yes that's inches, not foot pounds. I wouldn't certainly use the Pinch method with those miniscule torque specs.
agreed, I wouldn't do it
Old 02-07-17, 05:02 AM
limss325
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice~

what about fuel consumption with roof box?
Old 02-07-17, 10:06 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by limss325
Looks nice~

what about fuel consumption with roof box?

On a recent 180 mile roundtrip to a local ski resort, i did 23MPG with a Thule Cargo box on the roof. Note, a lot of the trip up there was uphill on the highways, and downhill on the way home.... I drove mostly between 70-80MPH
Old 09-01-17, 10:25 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Parking spot in my garage is a tight fit so a hitch mount bike carrier wont work for me. So, i got the Thule Sidearm to mount on the OEM Crossbars.

A few problems i ran into after installing the Sidearm.

1. I forgot how tall this SUV is and i need a step ladder to load the bike onto the carrier.

2. I was only able to load it after help from my wife since i cannot "clamp down" just one wheel without the bike tipping over. Note, i only tried mounting my wife's bike who has skinnier tires. I will try mounting it with my bike tomorrow which has wider/beefier tires. I had to stick my body out of the sunroof to use the front wheel clamps...

3. I had the same issues removing the bike and it required the assistance of my wife.

Here's a pic with my wife's bike

Old 09-03-17, 10:09 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Ok i figured out how i can mount the bike on my rack by myself without any assistance. However, i still need a step stool since the roof is so tall.

I need to put the mounting arm so its facing the outside of the vehicle. Which will mean mounting the bike mount on the driver's side facing backwards.

The mount on the passenger will have the bike facing forwards like this

Old 08-28-18, 06:27 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was wondering if any one has put a cargo box on their roof - and if so - which model and size did you get?

i am torn between the "Thule Force Medium" and "Thule Force Large"

Id like to have the extra room from the Large box - but i am worried that it will interfere with the hatch opening all the way. Based on me measuring - it seems like the large would be too big - but i saw pictures of a comparable Yakima box on a RX350 fitting just fine.

So i was hoping someone on these boards has better photos or can share their experiences.
Old 04-08-19, 03:45 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default roof cargo box to carry snowboards

I'm interested in purchasing a roof cargo box to carry my snowboards and I've been looking at Thule Pulse Alpine or the Thule Motion XT Alpine. Both of these have a low/flat profile which is basically all I would need to carry my snowboard and some other various items that I can fit in the cargo box. Has anybody installed a roof cargo box? If so, did you use the Lexus crossbars and if so, was it easy to attach to the silver rails that came with the car? I have a '16 with the panoramic roof and I've read that the Lexus crossbars won't work with the pano roof. Can't I just install the Lexus crossbars and not open the pano roof? If you didn't use the Lexus crossbars, did you use the Thule crossbars and if so, which ones did you buy to install with the silver roof rails?

If you have recommendations, please let me know. I'm looking at the Pulse Alpine and the Motion XT Alpine because they have a lower profile so I'm hoping it'll have less of an impact on mpg and will also fit easier in parking garages and parking structures.

Quick Reply: OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage