RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Breaking In a Brand New RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 10:12 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Thanks for the well wishes. Understood the distance isn't great. But still interested in the thoughts of any auto engineers/lexus techies out there as to why Lexus recommends varying the speed during breakin and is this really because of the need to varying the engine RPM. Perhaps to help better seat the piston rings or something like that. As an aside, I have been exclusively driving Lexus vehicles for 18 years now (3 ESs, 3 RXs) and when faced with even a 20-30 mile highway trip during the breakin period I did do some mild downshifting, varying the engine speed but still keeping it under about 3,500 RPM. And in all these years I never once had to top up the oil level.
The main thing that is important is not towing of pushing the tack near red line. I have owned many Lexus and to tell you the truth, I just drive them and not worry too much about break in. I have towed my jet ski during break in but it is so light I hardly knew it was there.
I would stick to what you have done in the past and enjoy!
Old 01-13-17, 10:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

sderman, I had to drive about half that distance from my dealer. Went back roads the entire way, making one stop. Yeah, it took longer but isn't that the point when picking up a new car My trip was way more enjoyable than jumping on the highway. And the time flies by. Congrats on your new RX.
Old 01-13-17, 06:59 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I know this is unrelated but when I was younger I bought a 2006 Ninja ZX10R 1000cc crotch rocket and from the very first day i was full throttle and redlining it all day and within 250 miles on the tach I took her on a track day going speeds well over 120+ mph and topping out at 159 MPH on the back straight. I owned that bike for 8 years and put about 50,000 miles on it before I sold it. I have rode coast to coast on that bike many times. I never had an issue with burning oil or premature failure.

To be fair i dont drive any of my cars as hard but i dont baby them either. I think you should be fine. Its a Japanese engineered vehicle and they have reliability as a priority. Drive it like you stole it.
Old 01-14-17, 04:51 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
Car makers run their engines for quite a bit before we actually get them in our hands.
So feel free to 'drive it like you stole it"
I don't think that is true anymore . The first time the engine stays is when the vehicle leaves assembly line to go to the yard and train it truck.

You can just vary your speed a bit our even stop once our twice.
Old 01-14-17, 05:55 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

You have the list of things to follow from the manual right? This is what I followed:

Breaking in your new Lexus
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:
● For the first 200 miles (300 km):
Avoid sudden stops.
● For the first 500 miles (800 km):
Do not tow a trailer.
● For the first 1000 miles (1600 km):
• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
• Avoid sudden acceleration.
• Do not drive continuously in low gears.
• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods
Old 01-14-17, 07:10 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I don't think that is true anymore . The first time the engine stays is when the vehicle leaves assembly line to go to the yard and train it truck.

You can just vary your speed a bit our even stop once our twice.
Depends on the mfg of course. But during the last phase of assembly alot of automakers run the engine to optimize, and of course QC functionality. This has to include time on the rolling road, but sometimes in addition (random samples) are taken on a small road course.

I dont know of Lexus`s exact protocol as i have never been on a tour of their plant, but for sure have seen it on other mfgs lines
Old 01-14-17, 08:08 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

This thread has been concentrating on the relatively new technology engine oil
and the wear of engine bearings etc. What is still comparatively old tech are the
brake pads. While we enjoy high tech ABS and traction control systems the actual work
is being done by pretty basic (asbestos free) friction pads against steel rotors.

Consider that last time you bought new leather soled shoes. Walking on carpet
was a bit dicey as you slipped and slid about. After a period of walking on various
surfaces, concrete, tile, wood and carpet the sole was scuffed and traction was
much improved. Brakes are similar, take it light if traffic permits and let the pads
scuff in before engaging track events (or equivalent street driving!)
Old 01-14-17, 03:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mcomer
This thread has been concentrating on the relatively new technology engine oil
and the wear of engine bearings etc. What is still comparatively old tech are the
brake pads. While we enjoy high tech ABS and traction control systems the actual work
is being done by pretty basic (asbestos free) friction pads against steel rotors.

Consider that last time you bought new leather soled shoes. Walking on carpet
was a bit dicey as you slipped and slid about. After a period of walking on various
surfaces, concrete, tile, wood and carpet the sole was scuffed and traction was
much improved. Brakes are similar, take it light if traffic permits and let the pads
scuff in before engaging track events (or equivalent street driving!)
Depends. I`d say its better to just give it the typical brake pad bed-in procedure most brake pad mfgs recommend. A couple hard stops without bringing the vehicle to a dead stop, and then normal braking again without hard stops
Old 01-14-17, 09:18 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

regardless of manual, i always do syn oil change at 5k....
Old 01-15-17, 03:02 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I went in for the 15,000 mile checkup at a new to me dealership. The service advisor came really close to pressuring me to change oil. I asked if the RX had synthetic in it, he said yes. I said I'd stick to the recommended 10,000 mile intraval.

I'm sure Mother Lexus doesn't care, but to me his comment implied shorter engine life if I followed recommended intraval.
Old 01-15-17, 08:04 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I went in for the 15,000 mile checkup at a new to me dealership. The service advisor came really close to pressuring me to change oil. I asked if the RX had synthetic in it, he said yes. I said I'd stick to the recommended 10,000 mile intraval.

I'm sure Mother Lexus doesn't care, but to me his comment implied shorter engine life if I followed recommended intraval.
I would wager if you drove two vehicles identically for 150,000 miles, changed the oil on on one every 5k and one 10k miles, and then completely stripped down the engines, a master mechanic would not be able to determine which is which.
So what reasons are there to change oil at 5k? I haven't seen a sludge problem since cars I owned in the 50's and early 60's.

Last edited by riwyle; 01-15-17 at 08:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (01-18-17)
Old 01-15-17, 08:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by riwyle
I would wager if you drove two vehicles identically for 150,000 miles, changed the oil on on one every 5k and one 10k miles, and then completely stripped down the engines, a master mechanic would not be able to determine which is which.
Yup as long as the conditions are appropriate. I.e no heavy duty workloads
Old 01-17-17, 02:13 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Depends on the mfg of course. But during the last phase of assembly alot of automakers run the engine to optimize, and of course QC functionality. This has to include time on the rolling road, but sometimes in addition (random samples) are taken on a small road course.

I dont know of Lexus`s exact protocol as i have never been on a tour of their plant, but for sure have seen it on other mfgs lines
Yes, all that great adds up to the mileage that was on your cat when you picked it up. Mine was 6 km which is about 4 miles. I had another 1594 km if break in period.
Guess what i did at,,km 1600? 😀😀😀😀😀😀
Old 01-17-17, 06:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Yes, all that great adds up to the mileage that was on your cat when you picked it up. Mine was 6 km which is about 4 miles. I had another 1594 km if break in period.
Guess what i did at,,km 1600? 😀😀😀😀😀😀
If the factory is hitting redline at true zero mileage.....hehehe have some fun during break-in.
Old 08-24-17, 06:29 AM
Easman61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on breaking in new engine on 350 mile highway drive home

im taking delivery of new RX 350 350 miles from home on Saturday. I will keep this vehicle at least 10 years and I'd like to follow optional break in rules to maximize chances of engine longevity. Any thoughts on technique when faced with this king of a highway haul?
I know that I might be over thinking this - but just would like to exercise caution about not keeping at constant speeds initially.

Thiughts? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Breaking In a Brand New RX