RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 vs. MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 09:33 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
3rd Gen MDX vs 4th Gen RX350

We
have both models and to be honest, after driving both I have to give the MDX the upper hand on their IDS option to switch between comfort, normal, and sport driving systems. I was disappointed Lexus didn't offer that. The MDX driver seat is more comfortable as it hugs your body more, BUT I haven't worn in the 4RX seats yet (only at 300 miles). Lumbar on the RX doesn't feel natural yet, but I still need to break in the seats more. The leather quality on Lexus is much better than the MDX. The acceleration is faster and more responsive on the MDX. We do have two kids at 3 & 5 and they love both SUVs, but it's nice when they love to sit in the 3rd row away from us which sort of gives passengers in front more privacy.

I feel the ride is too soft and floaty for the RX so maybe after I upgrade to 20's or 22's I can feel the road a little more.

Our other option was the 2015 Audi Q7 S-Line of which the kids said the ride was "bumpy" and there were no other driving modes either.
I think your best bet would have been to get an RX F SPORT. The RX F SPORT has an Adaptive Variable Suspension to go from normal to sporty. The seats also hug a little better and it handles a lot better than the standard RX. Comes standard with 20's as well.

Personally, I refuse to go back to any Honda or Acura product. I've had a 1989 Accord, 2001 MDX and a 2008 Accord and have been astonished with the poor build quality. Were they reliable...no doubt. But, built to the standard of Toyota or Lexus...no way! I've had much better luck with Nissan and Toyota.

That said, I'm genuinely impressed with the 2017 MDX hybrid. 325 hp is a good amount more than the RX 450h. But, fuel economy might not be as great. And having driven the RLX hybrid, I don't have my hopes too high for similar powertrain refinement. When it comes to hybrids, Toyota and Lexus know what's up!

Old 09-18-16, 12:30 PM
Roughneck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MDXs are great value for money. The third row is just the icing on the cake.

However, the major problem is that new 9 speed transmission outsourced from a German company called ZF.
This is the same company making 9 speeds for Chrysler/Jeep. It is so glitchy to a point where is is a safety hazard.
It can just jerk forward at an intersection as you move foward and rear end the car in front of you. There is actually
a class action lawsuit against those transmissions. Buyer beware. We are talking a Japanese vehicle with Chrysler reliability.

Acura dealership experience is not premium at all. I hear some Acura dealerships dont even give loaners. The ones giving loaners
can give you a civic as a loaner.
Old 09-24-16, 09:02 PM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now for those considering an RX 350 vs an Acura RDX, here's an interesting topic from "Acurazine".

http://acurazine.com/forums/second-g...me-rdx-949316/
Old 11-03-16, 11:17 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
I think your best bet would have been to get an RX F SPORT. The RX F SPORT has an Adaptive Variable Suspension to go from normal to sporty. The seats also hug a little better and it handles a lot better than the standard RX. Comes standard with 20's as well.

Personally, I refuse to go back to any Honda or Acura product. I've had a 1989 Accord, 2001 MDX and a 2008 Accord and have been astonished with the poor build quality. Were they reliable...no doubt. But, built to the standard of Toyota or Lexus...no way! I've had much better luck with Nissan and Toyota.

That said, I'm genuinely impressed with the 2017 MDX hybrid. 325 hp is a good amount more than the RX 450h. But, fuel economy might not be as great. And having driven the RLX hybrid, I don't have my hopes too high for similar powertrain refinement. When it comes to hybrids, Toyota and Lexus know what's up!
I haven't seen any 17' MDX hybrids yet in the Texas southern region. Even the idea of that sounds great already especially after how the NSX combines electric engines (three electric motors and a mid-mounted twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6). Speaking of which, I'd be happy to see an RX200th, a hybrid turbo 2.0 with an electric engine.

I'd love to see a shoot out between the 2017 RX450h F-sport and the 2017 MDX Hybrid Sport.

My friend just picked up a 17' MDX SH-AWD, that thing is a beauty. I'm also interested in seeing the upcoming RX350L F-Sport as the RX definitely has a the lead in exterior design.
Old 11-03-16, 12:51 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
I haven't seen any 17' MDX hybrids yet in the Texas southern region. Even the idea of that sounds great already especially after how the NSX combines electric engines (three electric motors and a mid-mounted twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6). Speaking of which, I'd be happy to see an RX200th, a hybrid turbo 2.0 with an electric engine.

I'd love to see a shoot out between the 2017 RX450h F-sport and the 2017 MDX Hybrid Sport.

My friend just picked up a 17' MDX SH-AWD, that thing is a beauty. I'm also interested in seeing the upcoming RX350L F-Sport as the RX definitely has a the lead in exterior design.
I can't live with the interior of the MDX. That dual screen layout is horrendous in my opinion.

"Acura estimates that the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid will get 25 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway" - not great compared to RXh
"With all three electric motors and the smaller V-6 working together, the MDX Sport Hybrid puts out 325 horsepower—35 more than the regular MDX’s 3.5-liter six." - looking to be faster than RXh which is good
I wonder if it can run on electric only and how far? Also added weight could negate the 35 additional HP.
Old 11-03-16, 01:00 PM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned a 2015 MDX SH Tech and traded it in after 12 months of ownership. I had so many problems with panels not lining up, interior pieces not fitting properly, and this annoying buzzing of the center arm rest at certain RPM's. I was VERY disappointed with it and I grew up a huge Honda/Acura fan. I recently purchased a 2016 F-Sport RX 350 and I have to say the luxury level, styling, and over all fit and finish is far superior to the Acura. I dont know if the F-Sports have different seats than standard RX's but it is worlds better than the Acura seats. Plus the Acura interface just didnt make much sense to me. The only thing that I miss about it was the 3rd row. Honestly, we only used it twice in the year we had it so it isnt a deal breaker for me. I probably wouldnt spend the premium on the MDX and just get a Honda Pilot if you are wanting a 3rd row Honda/Acura.
Old 11-03-16, 05:10 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

One Acura dealer in the city, no loaners, premium fuel, insurance higher.
Old 06-28-18, 05:50 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I got 2017 MDX Fwd. Ket me point out few issues i have so far.

1.nav lag and slow
2.Backup camera delay
3. Bluetooth music change song delay
4. Everytimes i backup and then move forward you will hear metal suspension noise
5. At the stop once you let go the brake pedal. It will jerk forward
6. The ride is not smooth and lag of power
7. The paint job a lot of orange peels
8. Body panel is not line up balane
Old 06-28-18, 10:40 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JH48
I got 2017 MDX Fwd. Ket me point out few issues i have so far.

1.nav lag and slow
2.Backup camera delay
3. Bluetooth music change song delay
4. Everytimes i backup and then move forward you will hear metal suspension noise
5. At the stop once you let go the brake pedal. It will jerk forward
6. The ride is not smooth and lag of power
7. The paint job a lot of orange peels
8. Body panel is not line up balane
Considering how Acura praises this new software, hopefully they'll send out frequent updates to fix those lag issues. Can't say the same for the other issues, though.
Old 06-29-18, 06:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

My wife and I have owned over ten Acura's. They were reliable and enjoyable cars to own. Something happened at Acura around 2012. J D Power had them always in the top five in reliability. In 2018, they are 20th out of 31 car manufacturers. In the last five years they have been below the average. They are the 11th most expensive to maintain. Lexus on the other hand has been #1 in reliability for 7 straight years and is the third least expensive to maintain behind its cousins Toyota and Scion. Based on these two factors even if the MDX was better than the RX which it is not it would have to be a whole lot better. I just bought a RX450h. I was excited about the new RDX and test drove it. It is very nice but it is just not a Lexus.

Last edited by Freds430; 06-29-18 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 04:00 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My buddy owns a 2016 MDX. It has now been back to the dealership 6 times in 2 years. The latest trip to the dealership was for a "jerky transmission". I'm not saying my Lexus RX is perfect, but I would lose my *****, if I had to bring my Lexus back to the dealership that many times in 24 months of ownership.
Old 07-25-18, 09:54 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife drives a 2017 (factory ordered to custom requirements last summer) 350 RX AWD fully optioned. I drive a 2014 MDX AWD Advance. The RX is way more luxurious and refined than the MDX. I will be changing my vehicle in 2/3 years. The only reason I would buy MDX would be for 1. Better lane Keeping assist 2. Apple Car play (ability to use Waze/Google maps). The RX is compelling but the lane keeping assist is more like lane departure warning and very feeble. If this feature improved to he MDX and the Apple Car Play was introduced, I would buy a 350 RX AWD fully optioned on special order.
Old 07-26-18, 03:56 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth85
My wife drives a 2017 (factory ordered to custom requirements last summer) 350 RX AWD fully optioned. I drive a 2014 MDX AWD Advance. The RX is way more luxurious and refined than the MDX. I will be changing my vehicle in 2/3 years. The only reason I would buy MDX would be for 1. Better lane Keeping assist 2. Apple Car play (ability to use Waze/Google maps). The RX is compelling but the lane keeping assist is more like lane departure warning and very feeble. If this feature improved to he MDX and the Apple Car Play was introduced, I would buy a 350 RX AWD fully optioned on special order.
what was custom ordered on yours ?? door guards and mud flaps ?? thanks
i used your picture and decided to order the same 2 options, with a hitch and some other things. atomic also
msrp on my order was over 65k for the loaded rx450. picked up in wayzata. both dealers are about the same distance from farmington, (apple valley,lakeville area)

i drove the mdx, wasn't what i was looking for compared to the rx, super nice people in bloomington, Car play, i have the screen mirroring kit and motion bypass i still need to install one of these days. it will mirror my phone on the big or small side, not the same, but it should work ok.
Old 07-26-18, 08:31 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Originally Posted by JSracer
i used your picture and decided to order the same 2 options, with a hitch and some other things. atomic also
msrp on my order was over 65k for the loaded rx450. picked up in wayzata. both dealers are about the same distance from farmington, (apple valley,lakeville area)

i drove the mdx, wasn't what i was looking for compared to the rx, super nice people in bloomington, Car play, i have the screen mirroring kit and motion bypass i still need to install one of these days. it will mirror my phone on the big or small side, not the same, but it should work ok.

Old 07-26-18, 08:35 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

I agree the MDX does not measure up to an Rx. I would love to replace my 2014 MDX AWD with a Lexus 350 Rx (fully optioned) provided the lane keeping improved and I could have Android Auto or Apple Car Play. I think Lexus is inching towards smart phone connectivity, but it may not move fast on the more stronger lane keeping, being a bit conservative in making big changes.

My mother in law's observation is that Lexus RX is way smoother and less bumpy than the MDX. At her age she can sense the degree of smoothness of the ride.

Originally Posted by JSracer

Quick Reply: RX350 vs. MDX?