RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Turn on/off Air Conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 03:17 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Huh? What is "Carista"? And if you do this, what's involved in "going in" to turn on the AC?
Old 06-09-16, 06:28 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in the "I don't turn it off group". It's pretty rare I'm concerned if the compressor is running. If I want the compressor to stop running, I raise the temperature setpoint. If I don't want heat, I lower the setpoint. Leaving all the other controls in auto.

Although this is my first spring/summer in the 2016, my habits may change if they changed the climate control software/firmware.
Old 06-09-16, 07:11 AM
Vincent05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryll40
Huh? What is "Carista"? And if you do this, what's involved in "going in" to turn on the AC?
Carista is a bluetooth adapter and app where you can go in and change certain settings. Search Carista and read up more on it.
Old 06-09-16, 07:49 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent05
Carista is a bluetooth adapter and app where you can go in and change certain settings. Search Carista and read up more on it.
I chose the OBDII WiFi mini adapter from VeePeak on Amazon ($18) cuz I have an iPhone. The app is free if you only want to look at settings. (you can change a few) But if you want to change most settings you need to pay the $19 to "upgrade" the free app to the one that actually works.
Old 07-11-16, 08:15 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want fan-assisted outside cool air. NO COMPRESSOR!
Can the fan be on without the air conditioner compressor turning on?

The vehicle's lights/siren unit has an unused switch.
Can I connect the wire to the air compressor through the switch?

Can the air compressor be turned off through the screen while the vehicle is moving?

Thank you.

Last edited by RobertGift; 07-11-16 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 12:13 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes.

But it won't be on AUTO. But you can switch it off in the settings menu on your car.

Also, the front defogger/foot setting auto turns on the AC even though the ac button is not lit. Same goes for the full defogger. Found that out the hard way when I kept seeing dripping fluid even though I thought my AC wasn't on. Turns out they turn on the AC no matter what with the defogger settings.
Old 06-15-17, 07:38 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Switching between AC and Vent question

I just starting using the AC and find it really strange that I cant turn the AC off and go back to vent without going
into the Climate display menu. Is there any way to switch on and off the AC without going into the menus? I dont have factory Nav display.
Old 06-15-17, 08:43 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

My wife has a '16 NX and every time I get into her car I am so envious of her A/C on/off button. I know how I do it with the Nav package, maybe someone else will let you know non-nav options.
The mpg is better with a/c off.
Old 06-15-17, 10:46 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I just starting using the AC and find it really strange that I cant turn the AC off and go back to vent without going
into the Climate display menu. Is there any way to switch on and off the AC without going into the menus? I dont have factory Nav display.
Dont know why my question got moved because there doesn't seem to be a difinitve answer to the question.
CAN YOU SHUT OFF THE AC MANUALLY AND STILL KEEP THE OUTSIDE AIR COMING THROUGH WITHOUT GOING INTO THE THE MENUS. I FIND IT REALLY ANNOYING. Every other vehicle I've owned had an on off switch for the AC.
This is one on three things I find annoying. The second is the car shuting off when getting in with the remote start. Third is no digital speedometer. Seems like that should be a no brainer for a car with all these other features.
Old 06-15-17, 11:22 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

You can keep A/C in default OFF mode.... see Climate Settings

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf
The following users liked this post:
sirtiger (06-23-17)
Old 06-15-17, 11:50 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Here is what I learned that works really well for me.

I have the 12.3 inch display.

On the left side, I have my audio that shows me what I'm playing. I don't use the maps at all.
On the smaller right side, I have the temperature calibrations.

I don't like the compressor being on all the time for "Auto." So this is what I do.

I keep it on Auto, but I turn off the A/C by using the mouse and pressing A/C. This allows me to have the computer adjust the speed of the fan based on the temperature I want. I also have the air on outside air most of the time. If you want to put inside air, press the button. Pressing it again turns the inside/outside air to AUTO, which turns ON the AC. Pressing a third time, leaves the air on outside air.

When it gets super hot, I simply press the "AUTO" button again, this turns ON the A/C, and I lower the temp to 61, or Lo, etc. This also automatically turns the air to inside air.

When it gets nice and cool, I'll either raise the temp to about 70 or, I'll move my mouse cursor and turn off the A/C button. When I turn OFF the A/C, this automatically turns my inside air to fresh outside air.

Also, the vents automatically go to outside air when I turn off my engine no matter if I have it on inside or outside. This is most likely to prevent that smelly mold smell that many cars have when leaving the A/C on and not allowing the condensation to dry with outside air.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (06-15-17)
Old 06-15-17, 11:55 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Dont know why my question got moved because there doesn't seem to be a difinitve answer to the question.
CAN YOU SHUT OFF THE AC MANUALLY AND STILL KEEP THE OUTSIDE AIR COMING THROUGH WITHOUT GOING INTO THE THE MENUS. I FIND IT REALLY ANNOYING. Every other vehicle I've owned had an on off switch for the AC.
This is one on three things I find annoying. The second is the car shuting off when getting in with the remote start. Third is no digital speedometer. Seems like that should be a no brainer for a car with all these other features.

No you can not just shut the air off...No button and I agree it should have one. The 3RX didn't have one either. As stated above the dealer can change the default to off.
We must have different models cause all I have is a digital speedo.
Someone else will have to answer the remote turning the car off when you get in. That doesn't make sense.
Old 06-15-17, 12:02 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Aznkorboi....that's pretty cool use of your controls...I never even thought to turn off the map....I don't use it anyway..well at least 95% of the time.
Old 06-15-17, 12:05 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
Aznkorboi....that's pretty cool use of your controls...I never even thought to turn off the map....I don't use it anyway..well at least 95% of the time.
haha yeah. and if you do need the maps, it's one quick map button press next to the mouse joystick
Old 06-15-17, 12:07 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

everyone hates the engine turning off feature. It's a whole separate thread. If that angers you, you're gonna be even more angry once your enform subscription ends and you can't auto start the engine with your remote anymore!

Quick Reply: Turn on/off Air Conditioner?