RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Running boards/steps and installation (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 06:54 PM
JKMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to lift the car to install running boards?
Old 05-03-18, 07:57 PM
lilboi
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JKMan
Do you have to lift the car to install running boards?
You don't need to lift the car although it does help a bit to get leverage since the rivnut tool is a bit hard to maneuver.

I ended up buying the Astro rivnut. The rivnuts that go against the side of the car were easy to install. The ones that are below the car was a bit difficult, mainly because of leverage. It may be a bit more helpful if the car was lifted a tad. I started with the passenger side with all OEM rivnuts that came with the running boards. On the driver side I used the rivnuts that came with the tool. Those are pre-crushed and worked 10x better. I would recommend NOT using the rivnuts that came in the packaging for under the car. You'll need to bore the hole slightly with a drill bit but the install was easier and studier on the second side with the rivnuts with the tool.

Don't skimp on the tool. It's not worth it.
Old 07-08-18, 01:29 AM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did the install past Friday. Had the new updated instructions sent with running boards, giving the correct riv nuts number of riv nuts per side. Took 4hrs as I did it alone with the car on ramps and the Astro rivet tool. 1st side took about 3hrs to fit and figure. Other side was just a repeat with learned experience. Hardest part was learning how to make clean riv nuts that wont spin. Due to the location there is one rivnut that was impossible with the astro tool to get a good crimp (location rear door 1st rivet hole). The rear doors does not open as wide to get a good leverage to crimp. Other that that make sure mud guards are install correctly with the running boards.

The following users liked this post:
husky1055 (07-12-23)
Old 07-17-18, 12:36 PM
vhoang2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kvtram
Just did the install past Friday. Had the new updated instructions sent with running boards, giving the correct riv nuts number of riv nuts per side. Took 4hrs as I did it alone with the car on ramps and the Astro rivet tool. 1st side took about 3hrs to fit and figure. Other side was just a repeat with learned experience. Hardest part was learning how to make clean riv nuts that wont spin. Due to the location there is one rivnut that was impossible with the astro tool to get a good crimp (location rear door 1st rivet hole). The rear doors does not open as wide to get a good leverage to crimp. Other that that make sure mud guards are install correctly with the running boards.

Hi - I did not see anyone post/describe how to measure/drill the holes required before installing the rivets. Can you explain? I do not want to misdrill them. Thanks
Old 07-17-18, 12:39 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by vhoang2
Hi - I did not see anyone post/describe how to measure/drill the holes required before installing the rivets. Can you explain? I do not want to misdrill them. Thanks
the holes are already there.
vhoang2 (07-17-18)
Old 07-17-18, 12:40 PM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

There are pre-drilled holes from the factory and no drilling is required.
vhoang2 (07-17-18)
Old 07-17-18, 12:44 PM
vhoang2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kvtram
There are pre-drilled holes from the factory and no drilling is required.
Thanks! Not sure why the service consultant at my dearlership told me had to drill holes.... I feel much better now to order and self-install.
Old 07-17-18, 01:37 PM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vhoang2
Thanks! Not sure why the service consultant at my dearlership told me had to drill holes.... I feel much better now to order and self-install.
Sounded like they are unaware of the install process or wanted to make it sounded more complicated to get your business.
Old 07-19-18, 04:52 PM
abgs350
Driver School Candidate

Stevens Creek Lexus quoted me $745 to install the running boards ... any bay area people in california have any luck at other dealerships?

maybe i'll just get the mud guards and self-install for now..
Old 07-19-18, 05:21 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abgs350
Stevens Creek Lexus quoted me $745 to install the running boards ... any bay area people in california have any luck at other dealerships?

maybe i'll just get the mud guards and self-install for now..
try LEXUS OF PLEASANTON . when i inquired, it was ~ $500. i just opted to install myself.
Old 07-22-18, 09:25 PM
vhoang2
Driver School Candidate

Just installed earlier - took me approx 3 hr - used the Amazon tool and its pretty straight forward. I have the newer instruction if anyone's interested.
espieric (08-16-18)
Old 08-16-18, 02:13 PM
espieric
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a RX350L and very much interested in installing a running boards by myself hopefully, can I have your instructions pls.
Old 08-16-18, 02:17 PM
vhoang2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by espieric
I just bought a RX350L and very much interested in installing a running boards by myself hopefully, can I have your instructions pls.
Here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2018RXRUNNINGBOARDS.pdf (1.20 MB, 760 views)
Old 08-25-18, 12:42 PM
cp2012
Driver School Candidate

Does this void the factory warranty if you DIY? I assume you guys are installing it after the 4 years?
Old 08-25-18, 01:47 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2012
Does this void the factory warranty if you DIY? I assume you guys are installing it after the 4 years?
I can't imagine installing running boards would have any effect on the warranty.

Quick Reply: Running boards/steps and installation (merged threads)