RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Running boards/steps and installation (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 04:53 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics..
Old 03-04-16, 06:14 PM
joe311
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's some more pics. They finally fixed the door rattle.

Old 03-15-16, 08:38 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe311
Here's some more pics. They finally fixed the door rattle.

Hey Joe...I've already made my appointment at my Lexus dealership to have the install them the same running boards. My wife, 5'2", and my 11 y/o son, 4'9", are in need of them. They both have the same size shoe, women's 6. Looking at your pics, I am hoping that these running boards will be functional for them. What are your thoughts? I'm 5'5" and currently am able to step on the floor in front of the driver's seat and I'm able to seat myself with no problems. But let's say I want to use the running board for myself, I'm a men's size 9 1/2, will they be functional for me as well?

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-16-16, 09:26 AM
joe311
Rookie

its fully function when the door is open. My wife is only 4'11 so she loves the steps. She had a hard time getting before and now it works perfectly for her. I'm also 5'4 and don't really need them to get in and out but they do help. They don't offer as much foot space as bigger suv's like my 4runner but still does the job. You can't use them at all without opening the doors.
Old 03-16-16, 12:21 PM
and408rew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which CA dealership did you have these ordered and installed? $1k!? Sheesh!
Old 03-16-16, 12:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I guess if your taller these boards are still useless/useful for getting your pant or ankles dirty every entry and exit of the vehicle?
Old 03-16-16, 12:36 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I guess if your taller these boards are still useless/useful for getting your pant or ankles dirty every entry and exit of the vehicle?
I can not believe I am saying this but I agree with you!
Old 03-16-16, 01:17 PM
joe311
Rookie

Originally Posted by and408rew
Which CA dealership did you have these ordered and installed? $1k!? Sheesh!
it came out to be under 900 in the end.
Old 03-16-16, 01:18 PM
joe311
Rookie

correct. it's pretty much useless if you are taller than 5'5.
Old 03-16-16, 03:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm over 5'5" but would be interested to know if the side steps maybe cuts down on spray from the tires. I will be installing mud guards.
Old 03-16-16, 06:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I'm over 5'5" but would be interested to know if the side steps maybe cuts down on spray from the tires. I will be installing mud guards.
For the RX are the boards drilled in or or have some sort of fastner/non-drilled install option.
Old 03-18-16, 08:56 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

For the RX are the boards drilled in or or have some sort of fastner/non-drilled install option.
I was advised by the dealership that they had to drill.
Old 03-18-16, 09:14 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joe311
its fully function when the door is open. My wife is only 4'11 so she loves the steps. She had a hard time getting before and now it works perfectly for her. I'm also 5'4 and don't really need them to get in and out but they do help. They don't offer as much foot space as bigger suv's like my 4runner but still does the job. You can't use them at all without opening the doors.
Hey Joe. Just got them installed today. They are perfect in regards to the looks and wide enough for my son and my wife. They can almost put half of their foot on it. Problem is...is getting use to it. It is a bit awkward because the running board is not that high off the ground and you don't have much to get yourself in from the running board to inside the car. On my GX it was different...since the vehicle was much higher. However for the RX, even though it was just a bit needed to help my wife and son in the car, it was still very much needed.
One thing about it is that it does flex. When I step on the running board, it bends down a bit. For my wife and son, it does not bend. Even though I will not be using it, my concern is that when I go to a carwash, those guys may utilize the running board to dry the roof. The one who installed it at Lexus said that it was their first time to install the running boards at the dealership. I was their guinea pig. He said that they followed all the instructions it came with. Well so far so good.

My wife and son's size 6.

My size 9 shoe. Problem is...is I don't really need it. I'm able to get in the car without it.

Last edited by brxsilva; 03-18-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 09:18 PM
and408rew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx so much for sharing! Which dealership did you get them installed? I'm not going to lie, it is a bit concerning that it bends when you step on it. Overall, do you feel it's worth the $1k investment?
Old 03-18-16, 09:32 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by and408rew
Thx so much for sharing! Which dealership did you get them installed? I'm not going to lie, it is a bit concerning that it bends when you step on it. Overall, do you feel it's worth the $1k investment?
Crown Lexus in Ontario CA.

Honestly, it is mainly for my wife and son, so yes it was worth it.
Also I could have actually gone elsewhere and had it done for $500 cash at a shop also in Ontario CA but the running boards that they showed me that would be installed was not as nice as the ones from Lexus. With the doors closed the non Lexus running boards would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I really don't know how long I am going to keep this vehicle but I still want it to look nice.
My previous car was a 2014 GX460. I had Crown Lexus install a tow hitch and I spent well over $1000 for everything. I also could have gone elsewhere but I wanted it to look nice. I only kept that vehicle for 2 years. I had gotten rid of it to get this 2016 RX350.
One thing for sure, Lexus does charge a lot however they have always done a good job and will guarantee it. I know this because I've been a Lexus customer long enough and had enough issues where they have taken care of me time and time again. So if it does flex or bend too much or has become defective in a way, Crown Lexus or Lexus themselves will take care of it.

Last edited by brxsilva; 03-18-16 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Running boards/steps and installation (merged threads)