RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Eco, Normal or Sport? (preferred mode)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 01:26 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Eco, Normal or Sport? (preferred mode)

Which mode does everyone drive their RX on?

Been trying this Eco mode for a week...Pretty blah. I drive mostly very local and pushing about 16mpg...about the same as the 3RX
Old 04-06-16, 01:30 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sport. Mostly local. Haven't really checked the mpg.
The sport mode just seems to have more oomph.
The following users liked this post:
milk659 (02-19-20)
Old 04-06-16, 01:31 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Normal 90% of the time.

Sport when extra performance is wanted or required.

Eco, useless. Keeps the RPM way too low. Well I guess if you only had a gallon of fuel and 35 miles to the next station, but Eco is great for that Sunday drive with the family when you have no where to go.
The following users liked this post:
milk659 (02-19-20)
Old 04-06-16, 01:40 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

with this 8 speed, the RPM always seem ridiculously low.

I don't think this Eco really saves much gas if any...I have to mash the pedal if I really want to haul it.
Old 04-06-16, 06:25 PM
Legolas2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the settings menu, if I turn-off ECO is only the LED notification turned-off or it never uses ECO mode?
Old 04-06-16, 08:09 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Legolas2
In the settings menu, if I turn-off ECO is only the LED notification turned-off or it never uses ECO mode?
That only turns off the LED notification. ECO mode is selected by the driver, so you dont have to use it as a driving mode.
Old 04-06-16, 09:08 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by darkoozy
That only turns off the LED notification. ECO mode is selected by the driver, so you dont have to use it as a driving mode.
He means the ECO green light that is located at the left side of the screen behind the wheel that turns on when you press lightly on the gas pedal.

How can you leave SPORT mode permanently ON ? Do you really have to manually set it everytime you turn on your car? I am getting better gas mileage on SPORT than ECO and Normal, but someone suggested it is due to the differences of winter and summer gas.

1st tank 15.6 Normal mode OEM gas
2nd tank 16.2 Eco mode 7-Eleven regular gas
3rd tank 15.5 Eco mode Racetrac regular gas
4th tank 16.5 Eco mode 7-Eleven Regular gas (switch to 20" and 38 psi from 18" and 33 psi)
5th tank 18.3 Normal mode 7-Eleven regular gas (75% tank=13 gallons and 245 miles = 18.8 mpg
6th tank "20.1" so far few miles driven Sport mode 7-Eleven regular gas
Old 04-06-16, 09:48 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by noeldavid

How can you leave SPORT mode permanently ON ? Do you really have to manually set it everytime you turn on your car?
You can't leave Sport mode permanently on, and you'll need to activate it every time. EPA tested the car in Eco and Normal, so that's why the car has to default in these modes.
Old 04-07-16, 01:52 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by noeldavid
He means the ECO green light that is located at the left side of the screen behind the wheel that turns on when you press lightly on the gas pedal.

How can you leave SPORT mode permanently ON ? Do you really have to manually set it everytime you turn on your car? I am getting better gas mileage on SPORT than ECO and Normal, but someone suggested it is due to the differences of winter and summer gas.

1st tank 15.6 Normal mode OEM gas
2nd tank 16.2 Eco mode 7-Eleven regular gas
3rd tank 15.5 Eco mode Racetrac regular gas
4th tank 16.5 Eco mode 7-Eleven Regular gas (switch to 20" and 38 psi from 18" and 33 psi)
5th tank 18.3 Normal mode 7-Eleven regular gas (75% tank=13 gallons and 245 miles = 18.8 mpg
6th tank "20.1" so far few miles driven Sport mode 7-Eleven regular gas
Eco "should" always yield better mileage but your foot makes the biggest difference. You can come close to the same in normal with a light foot. Eco also adjust the ac compressor programming to save additional fuel. To me Eco is not an option and normal is best for everyday use.

Many say you have to train your transmission, I think the 4RX tranny taught me.
Old 03-26-17, 05:34 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
You can't leave Sport mode permanently on, and you'll need to activate it every time. EPA tested the car in Eco and Normal, so that's why the car has to default in these modes.
I just started driving in the sport mode b/c the car runs better than eco. I've even use the normal. Everytime I get in car I have to change the mode b/c it's always on eco. I'd prefer it to default to normal if it's possible...Anyone know? And is there a way to set my RPM higher than 2000? Does your green eco light stay on while your driving in normal mode?

Last edited by Kajnbabe; 03-26-17 at 05:36 PM. Reason: I left something out.
Old 03-26-17, 11:59 PM
msh3l
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually drive in normal mode with suspension tuned to sport, you do this customisations from settings.
Old 03-27-17, 01:49 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
I just started driving in the sport mode b/c the car runs better than eco. I've even use the normal. Everytime I get in car I have to change the mode b/c it's always on eco. I'd prefer it to default to normal if it's possible...Anyone know? And is there a way to set my RPM higher than 2000? Does your green eco light stay on while your driving in normal mode?
i never use eco mode, just a gimmick. You vehical will default to normal if you put it in normal and leave it there. I prefer the comfort mode unless Sport in required. The vehicle will default back to eco, normal or comfort when restarted depending on where you left it when you shut off the motor.

The green eco light has nothing to do with the different modes. It just tells you that your foot is behaving.
Old 03-27-17, 01:50 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

After doing the hesitation TSB, I use normal with the occasional custom mode. Normal drive, sport suspension.

Before the hesitation, almost always eco and got worse mileage.

I believe that the 17 RX stays in the mode you left it...maybe a 17er could verify that...
Old 03-27-17, 09:15 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
After doing the hesitation TSB, I use normal with the occasional custom mode. Normal drive, sport suspension.

Before the hesitation, almost always eco and got worse mileage.

I believe that the 17 RX stays in the mode you left it...maybe a 17er could verify that...
Incorrect...It will only stay in Eco or Normal after each cycle.
Old 03-28-17, 04:51 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Incorrect...It will only stay in Eco or Normal after each cycle.
I think that's only for the 2016 models. I had a 2017 out a few weeks ago and thought it stayed in the mode you left it...wasn't sure if I forgot what mode I left it in. I asked the salesman yesterday and he told me in 2017 it does stay in the last selected mode....wish I had that!

as per Lexus..."Drive Mode Select

Lexus RX’s Drive Mode Select gives improved acceleration and steering performance with three distinct drive modes – Eco, Normal, and Sport S Modes – to match your mood and the terrain. F SPORT Series 3 package adds an additional Sport S+ Mode as well as Customize Mode, which enables the driver to adjust the operation of the powertrain, chassis and air conditioning functions according to personal preference. For your convenience, the last selected mode is memorized when you start your car, tailoring your drive to your desire."

Last edited by FastFord; 03-28-17 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Eco, Normal or Sport? (preferred mode)