RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Compass on rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Do a Google search for: Monroney sticker
Exactly. The government mandates the layout and contents of the sticker (ever wonder why they look the same regardless of the manufacturer?). The government takes inaccurate information on these stickers pretty seriously...
Old 08-04-17, 12:32 AM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No Compass with GPS Coordinates View on 12.3 Screen with Navigation?

I'm enjoying my new RX 450h, but am surprised not to find a screen that displays a large compass with GPS longitude, latitude, and elevation for the current location. I have the 12.3 inch screen with Navigation. I see the small compass that is built into the map screen, but miss the GPS coordinates and elevation that I've been used to on previous vehicles. Is there a way to display this that I'm missing? Thanks.
Old 08-04-17, 04:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

It is there somewhere as I have run across it several times. I will check later today and get back to this thread, but bet someone beats me to it.
Old 08-04-17, 05:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
It is there somewhere as I have run across it several times. I will check later today and get back to this thread, but bet someone beats me to it.
I'm surprised there's nothing built into the rear view mirror like most cars I've owned.
Old 08-04-17, 05:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'm surprised there's nothing built into the rear view mirror like most cars I've owned.
Never seen a rear view mirror display GPS coordinates.
Old 08-04-17, 05:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Never seen a rear view mirror display GPS coordinates.
Just direction - no desire to see GPS coordinates.
Old 08-04-17, 09:28 AM
Hootjunior
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a compass on the driver panel under "info" I think. Just need to scroll up/down thru the "info". Not sure about coordinates
Old 08-21-17, 01:05 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I found that the compass can be displayed on the right-side window of the 12.3 inch display. To access it, click on the map navigation icon on the right. When the map appears in the small window, click on the right arrow to toggle from the map to the compass view. It does show longitude and latitude, but not elevation.
Old 08-21-17, 01:23 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

IrishJoe is correct. The various "hard keys" - Radio, Media, Map and left steering wheel spoke "Off Hook"
control the left 2/3's of the screen. "Soft Keys" along the right side of the screen accessed by the remote
control bring up - Aux Nav screen (map with different scale and/or orientation, compass), Audio, Phone,
Fuel Economy, HVAC. To return to the "12 Map just select the small triangle icon in the upper right.

Note that you can also display a compass in the Driver Information Center (by the speedo/power meter)
by tapping the right steering wheel "Menu" button and then the right side of the Four Arrow square button.
Another touch there brings up the Audio if you don't like giving up the cool big Nav Map!
Old 10-26-17, 05:58 AM
dj3467
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is pretty interesting. We just bought a 2011 ES, our first Lexus, nice car. I was getting familiar with the car and the features, and going nuts trying to figure out why the mirror compass was not working. The car did come with Navigation. But like many other people, I have had cars with the compass in the mirror, and it's far more convenient to just glance at the mirror to see your heading if you are somewhere, maybe a little turned around, and you know you just want to go say west for a few blocks. My 2015 Toyota Camry had both Nav and the mirror compass, although I must admit, the mirror was added by the dealer. I guess this is not such a big deal, except that if the car was advertised with the compass in the mirror as some of you guys say, that would be wrong. And anyway, a quick glance at the mirror (which is in your field of vision driving) has to be WAY safer than looking down at the Nav screen and hunting for the direction icon. I'm just saying......
Old 10-26-17, 02:25 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I realize that our 2010 RX is of a previous generation, and that things do change, but it has both nav and compass.
Old 02-08-19, 05:57 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Compass in rear view mirror

I have a 2018 RX450hl with the luxury package and navigation. I notice in the manual that I can press the button right of the Homelink buttons for 3 seconds and will then have a compass reading on the mirror. Does anyone have that feature in their mirror if they have navigation?
Old 02-08-19, 07:39 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

The reference to the mirror compass display on the Monroney Label is shown under "Standard Equipment".
Notice that there is also a line item for "18 wheels. When you get optional equipment such as the Navigation
system or the "20 wheels you no longer get the standard pieces, ie., you do not get two sets of wheels, 18's and 20's!
The Non-Navigation cars do not have a Compass Display in the center screen but the Nav cars do.
Old 02-08-19, 07:44 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
My 4RX Luxury shows:]"Rear View Mirror - Auto Dimming, Homelink Garage Door Opener with Compass" on my sticker, too.

It is listed under the Standard features and must be over ridden by the "Installed Options".

There is no compass in my rear view mirror.
When I get back home, I will check my spec sheet. I hope I can get it working or my mirror replaced. I don't want the compass on my 12' screen or on the middle screen. I have other uses for those screens.
Old 02-08-19, 08:12 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Part cost for the inside auto-chromatic mirror with the compass is over $600...plus it has a different
plug connector than the auto chromatic mirror without compass that is in there now.
I first saw the mirror compass delete in Nav cars start with the 2011 model year BTW.

Quick Reply: Compass on rearview mirror