RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tow Package VS Non?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 03:50 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tow Package VS Non?

Im looking into the F-Sports now and it seems that none of the ones on the dealer lot have a tow package...

I was wondering if I wanted to tow an occasional boat, how much can the F Sport tow without a tow package installed? Or is it better to custom order one?

Does the tow package include the wiring to the back?
Old 03-29-16, 05:36 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin
Im looking into the F-Sports now and it seems that none of the ones on the dealer lot have a tow package...

I was wondering if I wanted to tow an occasional boat, how much can the F Sport tow without a tow package installed? Or is it better to custom order one?

Does the tow package include the wiring to the back?
Tow package includes factory installed transmission oil cooler, heavy duty alternator, trailer writing pre-wire with converter installed.

It is a good package to have even if you don't tow.

I believe all RX' for Canada come with tow package by default.
Old 03-30-16, 03:35 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I would not tow without the tow prep package. Like the other said it is a good option even if you do not tow.

The wiring is not included in the tow prep package, only the items mentioned above.

Last edited by RXOwner; 03-31-16 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 08:10 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Ah ok, so weird that the high end f sports on the lot seem to have every option available except the tow package. I was hoping to purchase off the lot but I will look into a special order again.
Old 03-31-16, 07:44 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I would not tow without the tow prep package. Like the other said it is a good option even if you do not tow.

The wiring is not included in the tow package, only the items mentioned above.
FYI - the trailer hitch itself in NOT included in the tow package....what's up with that? It was included in my last RX. I have the tow package in my 2016 RX 450h, but the actual hitch was a $950 dealer add on and still didn't include a tongue bar for the ball.
Old 03-31-16, 08:40 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ghabicht
FYI - the trailer hitch itself in NOT included in the tow package....what's up with that? It was included in my last RX. I have the tow package in my 2016 RX 450h, but the actual hitch was a $950 dealer add on and still didn't include a tongue bar for the ball.
I am talking tow prep package, my error.

And the actual tow package has not included the tongue and ball except on my LX of which the hitch was standard.
Old 03-31-16, 03:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The reason F sports are missing the tow pack, is the cause you simply cant do it.

The F sport has special dampers, aka the improved handling from the dampers (Not the struts, but I believe the anti roll )

With the tow pack, one must disconnect the rear dampening system for installtion adn I believe towing

Hence the best part of the F sport is useless with the tow pack, so hence unless you special order no dealer will carry it
Old 03-31-16, 03:55 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The reason F sports are missing the tow pack, is the cause you simply cant do it.

The F sport has special dampers, aka the improved handling from the dampers (Not the struts, but I believe the anti roll )

With the tow pack, one must disconnect the rear dampening system for installtion adn I believe towing

Hence the best part of the F sport is useless with the tow pack, so hence unless you special order no dealer will carry it
That's incorrect. All RX's in Canada come with tow package, including F sport.

The variable dampers have nothing to do with tow package. Tow package gives you the following:

1 Heavy duty alternator
2 transmission cooler
3 pre wire with converter installed.
Old 03-31-16, 04:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
That's incorrect. All RX's in Canada come with tow package, including F sport.

The variable dampers have nothing to do with tow package. Tow package gives you the following:

1 Heavy duty alternator
2 transmission cooler
3 pre wire with converter installed.
All that's great, but if I have to disconnect the parts that make up the f sport an f sport I'd rather just buy a luxury pack?
Old 03-31-16, 04:20 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

All that's great, but if I have to disconnect the parts that make up the f sport an f sport I'd rather just buy a luxury pack?
You don't have to disconnect anything. Tow prep has nothing that conflicts with f sport package.
Old 03-31-16, 04:49 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Ah, I didnt realize that... so the Tow Prep Package doesnt interfere with the F-Sport but the if I wanted to actually tow something I would need to remove some parts of the F-Sport package?
Old 03-31-16, 04:55 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

You don't have to disconnect anything. Tow prep has nothing that conflicts with f sport package.
I`m guessing I gots to walk you through it.

1) Dealers will only keep cars on the lot that sell, aka are most popular.
2) F sports are quite popular
3) F sports with towing in mind usually means Tow package plus a hitch to properly tow.
4) F sports require decoupling of the anti roll damper/performance damper (not the same thing as the passive struts/dampers) for installation and use of the tow hitch
5) If you start removing the items such as performance dampers that essentially make the F sport the F sport, why bother.
6) Hence dealers only keep non f sports with the tow package.
7) Having a bigger alternator and additional cooling capcacity offers no additional required benefit, unless you plan on running a bigger audio system or are expecting to carry a heavy payload inside or continous hill climbs (which Lexus already has designed the non tow prep pack with anyways).

if its not worth it, why stock it is essentially the idea here. Its not something a dealer can visually pawn off to the customer.

That being said anyone can still order the F sport with tow, but should be informed of the tow hitch problem
Old 03-31-16, 05:11 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

I`m guessing I gots to walk you through it.

1) Dealers will only keep cars on the lot that sell, aka are most popular.
2) F sports are quite popular
3) F sports with towing in mind usually means Tow package plus a hitch to properly tow.
4) F sports require decoupling of the anti roll damper/performance damper (not the same thing as the passive struts/dampers) for installation and use of the tow hitch
5) If you start removing the items such as performance dampers that essentially make the F sport the F sport, why bother.
6) Hence dealers only keep non f sports with the tow package.
7) Having a bigger alternator and additional cooling capcacity offers no additional required benefit, unless you plan on running a bigger audio system or are expecting to carry a heavy payload inside or continous hill climbs (which Lexus already has designed the non tow prep pack with anyways).

if its not worth it, why stock it is essentially the idea here. Its not something a dealer can visually pawn off to the customer.

That being said anyone can still order the F sport with tow, but should be informed of the tow hitch problem
That is not the case for 4 RX. Nothing to disconnect in order to connect the hitch. That was the last generation rx.

Lexus hitch replaces the aluminum bumper reinforcement under the bumper cover. It bolts to the frame where the tow hook is. There is no dampers or achy other suspension members in that area.

Also, having a transmission cooler is always beneficial. Regardless if you tow or not. Running the transmission at lower temperatures is always good.
Old 03-31-16, 05:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

That is not the case for 4 RX. Nothing to disconnect in order to connect the hitch. That was the last generation rx.

Lexus hitch replaces the aluminum bumper reinforcement under the bumper cover. It bolts to the frame where the tow hook is. There is no dampers or achy other suspension members in that area.

Also, having a transmission cooler is always beneficial. Regardless if you tow or not. Running the transmission at lower temperatures is always good.
Off the website:

The Lexus tow hitch receiver* is designed specifically for your vehicle and engineered to meet your vehicle's maximum tow rating. Every Lexus tow hitch receiver is made in the United States and thoroughly tested to meet Lexus' stringent requirements. Each receives an "e-coat" for corrosion protection and a UV-resistant powder topcoat. The hitch mounts behind the rear bumper, ensuring that ground clearance is not reduced. It also works in conjunction with the aerodynamic underbody covers, which help reduce noise and improve fuel economy. For best results, use with Genuine Lexus ball mount* and trailer ball* (all three items sold separately). For RX Hybrid vehicles, available for AWD models only. For RX F SPORT models, the performance damper and stabilizer bar must be removed when the tow hitch receiver is installed
Old 03-31-16, 05:32 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Off the website:

The Lexus tow hitch receiver* is designed specifically for your vehicle and engineered to meet your vehicle's maximum tow rating. Every Lexus tow hitch receiver is made in the United States and thoroughly tested to meet Lexus' stringent requirements. Each receives an "e-coat" for corrosion protection and a UV-resistant powder topcoat. The hitch mounts behind the rear bumper, ensuring that ground clearance is not reduced. It also works in conjunction with the aerodynamic underbody covers, which help reduce noise and improve fuel economy. For best results, use with Genuine Lexus ball mount* and trailer ball* (all three items sold separately). For RX Hybrid vehicles, available for AWD models only. For RX F SPORT models, the performance damper and stabilizer bar must be removed when the tow hitch receiver is installed
Ask your dealer.

Last edited by toyotaman7; 03-31-16 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Tow Package VS Non?