RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tow Package VS Non?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 05:56 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Off the website:

The Lexus tow hitch receiver* is designed specifically for your vehicle and engineered to meet your vehicle's maximum tow rating. Every Lexus tow hitch receiver is made in the United States and thoroughly tested to meet Lexus' stringent requirements. Each receives an "e-coat" for corrosion protection and a UV-resistant powder topcoat. The hitch mounts behind the rear bumper, ensuring that ground clearance is not reduced. It also works in conjunction with the aerodynamic underbody covers, which help reduce noise and improve fuel economy. For best results, use with Genuine Lexus ball mount* and trailer ball* (all three items sold separately). For RX Hybrid vehicles, available for AWD models only. For RX F SPORT models, the performance damper and stabilizer bar must be removed when the tow hitch receiver is installed
Also, just because the vehicle comes with tow prep doesn't mean that people will install a hitch.

As I mentioned all rx's in Canada come with tow prep, but only very few people actually install a hitch
Old 03-31-16, 06:18 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Also, just because the vehicle comes with tow prep doesn't mean that people will install a hitch.

As I mentioned all rx's in Canada come with tow prep, but only very few people actually install a hitch
Well if the tow package is standard....? then buyer who need not the tow hitch does not really have an option to get the vehicle without it?

The CADM and the USDM are packaged differently. If Lexus marketed the tow packages as standard I guess the OP wouldnt really be asking this question. But seeing the OP is interested in the optional tow package, I would assume they tow, or need the hitch for carrying bikes etc.
Old 03-31-16, 06:33 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Well if the tow package is standard....? then buyer who need not the tow hitch does not really have an option to get the vehicle without it?

The CADM and the USDM are packaged differently. If Lexus marketed the tow packages as standard I guess the OP wouldnt really be asking this question. But seeing the OP is interested in the optional tow package, I would assume they tow, or need the hitch for carrying bikes etc.
Yup, I was interested in being able to tow a small boat for some lake fishing... so is it something thats hard to take on and off? I imaging I would use it just a couple times a year at most... or is it something that once its off, its off?
Old 03-31-16, 06:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin
Yup, I was interested in being able to tow a small boat for some lake fishing... so is it something thats hard to take on and off? I imaging I would use it just a couple times a year at most... or is it something that once its off, its off?
Although the forum has some members who have tow + F sport, if no one responds, your best bet is to direct the question to your local service advisor.
Old 04-15-16, 07:50 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you please direct me to a link of some sort to confirm this? I'm considering installing a hitch but I can't seem to find where it says that all Canadian RX's have the towing prep package.
Old 04-15-16, 08:58 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Lexus.ca
Look for the detailed specs under build and price section: (The only one missing it is the 450h Executive with rear entertainment package. Rear entertainment uses the power that goes to the converter box that is mounted on the C pillar passenger side under the covers.

"
Towing Capacity kg (lbs.) 1,588 (3,500) 1,585 (3,494) *not Avaliable On
Executive Plus Pa

Heavy Duty Battery, Starter, Alternator and Heater • •

Transmission Cooler • •

Engine Oil Cooler •

Executive Plus Package
15 Speaker Mark Levinson Surround Sound Audio System , 2 sets of Wireless Headphones , Dual Seatback HDMI Entertainment
System with 11.6" LCD Screens , Touch-free Power Back Door , Wireless Charging , 120V/100-watt Power Outlet , Panoramic
Glass Roof , Head-Up Display , Wide-view Front, Rear and Side Monitor System , Pre-Collision System , Lane Departure Alert ,
Automatic High Beam , Dynamic Radar Cruise Control , Rear Power Recline Seat , Power Foldable Rear Seats , Less Towing
Package .

"
Old 04-15-16, 09:27 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus.ca
Look for the detailed specs under build and price section: (The only one missing it is the 450h Executive with rear entertainment package. Rear entertainment uses the power that goes to the converter box that is mounted on the C pillar passenger side under the covers.

"
Towing Capacity kg (lbs.) 1,588 (3,500) 1,585 (3,494) *not Avaliable On
Executive Plus Pa

Heavy Duty Battery, Starter, Alternator and Heater • •

Transmission Cooler • •

Engine Oil Cooler •

Executive Plus Package
15 Speaker Mark Levinson Surround Sound Audio System , 2 sets of Wireless Headphones , Dual Seatback HDMI Entertainment
System with 11.6" LCD Screens , Touch-free Power Back Door , Wireless Charging , 120V/100-watt Power Outlet , Panoramic
Glass Roof , Head-Up Display , Wide-view Front, Rear and Side Monitor System , Pre-Collision System , Lane Departure Alert ,
Automatic High Beam , Dynamic Radar Cruise Control , Rear Power Recline Seat , Power Foldable Rear Seats , Less Towing
Package .

"
I'm not sure if I'm viewing a different site since I'm in Alberta, but the only thing I could find was under the "Dimensions" tab under the specifications (couldn't find anything that said "Detailed Specs"). This is what I see (first column is feature, second is for the 350, third is the 450h).

Towing Capacity kg (lbs.) 1,585 (3,494) 1,585 (3,494) *not Avaliable On Executive Plus Pa

I guess this is supposed to imply that all the RX's except for the exceutive plus package have the package already and just need a hitch installed?
Old 04-15-16, 10:07 AM
Newbalewb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a receiver made by Curt for the F-Sport and nothing needs to be removed during installation. Could the ride still be impacted by having the receiver mounted to each side of the frame?
Old 04-15-16, 03:29 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbalewb
I ordered a receiver made by Curt for the F-Sport and nothing needs to be removed during installation. Could the ride still be impacted by having the receiver mounted to each side of the frame?
Actually you have to remove a small piece on the passenger side, takes less than a few mins.

I dont think the ride will be impacted to where youre going to notice a huge difference. I have driving mine around for a while now.
Old 04-15-16, 05:16 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Actually you have to remove a small piece on the passenger side, takes less than a few mins.

I dont think the ride will be impacted to where youre going to notice a huge difference. I have driving mine around for a while now.
That's the tow bracket. 4RX F Sport does not have any suspension parts interfering with the hitch. NOT sure why the US Lexus site states that the components need to be removed.
Old 04-15-16, 07:01 PM
Newbalewb
Driver School Candidate

That's the tow bracket. 4RX F Sport does not have any suspension parts interfering with the hitch. NOT sure why the US Lexus site states that the components need to be removed.
What is the tow bracket for?
Old 04-16-16, 06:07 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Newbalewb
What is the tow bracket for?
In case the car needs to be pulled out of somewhere like a ditch, For tow truck to pull the rx out. And also for the RX to pull something temporarily just to move it.

Should be in the owners manual though.
Old 04-16-16, 09:26 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by NateJG
You didn't give a hint as to things needed to make an educated guess possible, like:

A) how heavy is the boat with trailer
B) how far you intend to tow it
C) the terrain you will traverse while towing
D) how steep is the ramp (traction issue)
E) definition of "occasional"
F) do brake lights matter to you
G) will you need/want brakes (see "A")

If you're merely taking an aluminum boat with a 25 hp Honda to the local pond for a day of fly casting, it doesn't matter; and it will surely not hurt your car.

If you're likely to notice the trailer on the back while accelerating, cruising, and braking, then you're necessarily causing heat/wear/exposure to risk of decreased vehicle life.

If your trips permit slow and easy on flat and smooth - than GO FOR IT!
In the owners manual it days that with tow package you can tow 3500 lb.

It also says in bold highlighted text that without tow package you should not tow at all. It days your vehicle is not designed to tow without a tow package.

NOT sure exactly why. Might be the additional heat on engine and transmission that do not have coolers without a tow package.
Old 06-11-17, 10:32 PM
lianomorga
Driver School Candidate

Default Benefits of tow package

Would the Tow Prep package have any benefits in Normal, Day to Day driving?
Old 06-12-17, 01:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Extra cooling for motor and transmission.

Quick Reply: Tow Package VS Non?