RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Dynamic cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 10:52 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dynamic cruise control

Just purchased a 2016 RX350 with all goodies. Question: Can anyone advise me how to get the range distance for the dynamic cruise control to remain as previously set by driver to remain as set, and not to return to default setting (long distance)when the ignition is turned off. It drives me nuts to have to reset the distance
(I prefer the short setting) after each ignition turnoff. Any ideas out there? Thanks.
Old 03-27-16, 11:31 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

It works that way on all vehicles made by Toyota that have DRCC. The distance interval cannot be customized. Is it too much work to press the interval button twice? LOL!
Old 03-27-16, 11:41 AM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
It works that way on all vehicles made by Toyota that have DRCC. The distance interval cannot be customized. Is it too much work to press the interval button twice? LOL!
No, it's not too much work but it is still frustrating not to have the option of a fixed setting until one desires to change it. Thanks so much for your input. The CC.does the same thing when you set it on constant.
Old 03-27-16, 04:51 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by donmatt
No, it's not too much work but it is still frustrating not to have the option of a fixed setting until one desires to change it. Thanks so much for your input. The CC.does the same thing when you set it on constant.
My assumption is that it works that way for safety - so that another driver doesn't get into a vehicle and not notice that the distance interval has been set to the shortest. Do you mind that the cruise control does not remember your last set speed after the ignition has been turned off? That is also for safety. I think it is pretty wonderful that vehicles with DRCC remember the set speed after the vehicle is stopped. "Regular" cruise control on vehicles made by Toyota don't "remember" the set speed.

You may be unusual in that you want the following distance to be set to the shortest interval all the time. Here is an IIHS study with some statistics about that: http://www.iihs.org/lifesavers/pdfs/Toyota.pdf

I realize that you are new to this technology but I suspect that your view of how it should work will change as you use it more and that you will routinely find situations where you want the following distance set to the longest. I change the following distance intervals on our vehicles so often that I'm going to wear out the dang buttons!
Old 03-27-16, 05:36 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

After 4 months of driving my new RX I've given up on the DRCC; I hold the cruise button down until the car engages the "regular" CC. I've found that the DRCC is dangerous except maybe on a calm, low-traffic stretch of interstate. Some wacky driver cuts you off somewhere within your following distance, the DRCC slams on the brakes, and you'd better hope the guy following you is paying attention or you're gonna get rear-ended.

That's also the reason I could/would never let a friend or family member do the driving without thoroughly explaining to them how to bypass the DRCC and enable the regular CC. The entire "safety system" package is worthless to me, too many quirks. I'll need to order my next Lexus so that I can avoid it. Gimme the blind-spot monitor & rear-cross-traffic alert (and the park assist!) -- and I'm good.
Old 03-27-16, 06:21 PM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by winsalem
After 4 months of driving my new RX I've given up on the DRCC; I hold the cruise button down until the car engages the "regular" CC. I've found that the DRCC is dangerous except maybe on a calm, low-traffic stretch of interstate. Some wacky driver cuts you off somewhere within your following distance, the DRCC slams on the brakes, and you'd better hope the guy following you is paying attention or you're gonna get rear-ended.

That's also the reason I could/would never let a friend or family member do the driving without thoroughly explaining to them how to bypass the DRCC and enable the regular CC. The entire "safety system" package is worthless to me, too many quirks. I'll need to order my next Lexus so that I can avoid it. Gimme the blind-spot monitor & rear-cross-traffic alert (and the park assist!) -- and I'm good.
I agree with your assessment totally. I'm fed up with after one week. An incident happened to me as you described with a driver cutting me off with my flowing with traffic on the interstate. However, my reaction to brake and swerved worked well. Maybe it works well on a low traffic interstate, if you can locate one. My next vehicle will NOT have the DRCC system. However, the blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert is great. Thanks to all for responding.
Old 03-28-16, 06:23 AM
ccb777
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have adaptive cruise control for 5 years on my BMW. It operates the same way as it always reverts to 4 which is the longest distance. I do not use the same distance all the time. One of the things I found was that a setting a 1 0r 2 would not stop the car when cars did an emergency stop in front of me. I now ride with it on 3. It can do an emergency and when cars pulling in front by almost cutting me off it reacts more smoothly.

Folks follow too closely about 98% of the time and when they see me back at the recommended distance for the speed they sometimes cut me off particularly when I am passing with a line of traffic in the left lane. That used to be irritating but I rather be safe than be in a 12 car accident!
Old 03-28-16, 11:17 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Good info. I found it took off too slow after slowing down. Then I noticed I had the car in ECO mode that retards acceleration. This is a good setting for wide open interstate economy, but not congested multi-lane.
Old 03-28-16, 07:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I agree with your assessment totally. I'm fed up with after one week. An incident happened to me as you described with a driver cutting me off with my flowing with traffic on the interstate. However, my reaction to brake and swerved worked well. Maybe it works well on a low traffic interstate, if you can locate one. My next vehicle will NOT have the DRCC system. However, the blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert is great. Thanks to all for responding.
The shortest following distance setting can be unsafe at highways speeds. If you were using the shortest following distance setting per your previous statement, it sounds like your DRCC was reacting appropriately when another vehicle cut in front of you particularly if the other driver then slows or brakes.

Select a longer following distance. That way, a driver can change into your lane in front of you and continue to accelerate. Your DRCC will sense that the car now in front of you is accelerating and will not apply your brakes even though the other vehicle is just as close to you as he would be if you were using the shortest following distance.

DRCC and PCS are going to become standard on all vehicles made by Toyota. IIRC, the stated year was by 2022 but I suspect that it will happen sooner.
Old 03-29-16, 06:37 AM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
The shortest following distance setting can be unsafe at highways speeds. If you were using the shortest following distance setting per your previous statement, it sounds like your DRCC was reacting appropriately when another vehicle cut in front of you particularly if the other driver then slows or brakes.

Select a longer following distance. That way, a driver can change into your lane in front of you and continue to accelerate. Your DRCC will sense that the car now in front of you is accelerating and will not apply your brakes even though the other vehicle is just as close to you as he would be if you were using the shortest following distance. DRCC and PCS are going to become standard on all vehicles made by Toyota. IIRC, the stated year was by 2022 but I suspect that it will happen sooner.
Thanks Kansas, I really appreciate factual comments. The DRCC was set at #3 distance setting. Maybe I will become accustomed with its use on low traffic interstate but not on multi lane medium traffic flow a and traveling with the traffic speeds. Will use constant CC or none at all. Probably none at all in the future with this vehicle.
Old 03-29-16, 11:02 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Kansas, I really appreciate factual comments. The DRCC was set at #3 distance setting. Maybe I will become accustomed with its use on low traffic interstate but not on multi lane medium traffic flow a and traveling with the traffic speeds. Will use constant CC or none at all. Probably none at all in the future with this vehicle.
I am not exacltly sure what you don't like about it - it isn't difficult to adjust. I didn't have it on my last RX and think it's fantastic and wouldn't buy another car without it. I don't use it every day, but when I go on long trips, it's one of my favorite things about this car. I hated having to keep adjusting faster or slower when the idiots in front of me couldn't maintain a constant speed on our hilly interstates...
Old 03-29-16, 06:25 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried these during my test drives on both RX and RDX. I don't think I would use them in city driving. Highway ... perhaps. So I decided to skip on it.
Old 03-29-16, 06:41 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem

I love the system, myself. I can see using the short distance so you're not constantly being cut off by less than courteous drivers.
Old 03-31-16, 07:06 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just purchased a 2016 RX350 with all goodies. Question: Can anyone advise me how to get the range distance for the dynamic cruise control to remain as previously set by driver to remain as set, and not to return to default setting (long distance)when the ignition is turned off. It drives me nuts to have to reset the distance
(I prefer the short setting) after each ignition turnoff. Any ideas out there? Thanks.
Perhaps you're not using the right control adjustment. The range is easily reset by using the button on the left side of the steering wheel. Just press it twice with your thumb, after setting the cruise control and it goes to the shortest distance setting. You don't need to use the cumbersome screen set up.
Old 04-01-16, 09:08 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Used the DRCC for the first time yesterday--loved it. I found that it is as advertised.

Quick Reply: Dynamic cruise control