RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Totaled 2016 RX350 F Sport - No one injured, disappointed at myself

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 01:23 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is some major $ damage to be considered totaled, and looks it from your photos. Great to hear you didn't have injuries that you know of, and that your 10 month old son wasn’t with you. Will take you and family some time to get things back to a reasonable normal, but you have lots to be thankful for. Can only imagine what you are going through, besides the loss of one of the first 2016 RX's. Hope you continue with another 2016 RX eventually.

Thanks for the advice for all of us to be safe, and that our RX’s are well equiped safety wise, including all the air bags. I like the Enform Safety Connect feature where they make sure emergency is notified when the air bags deploy as it did for you. I will be sure to renew that feature, as it is just 1 of many ways safety connect is beneficial.
Old 03-22-16, 05:22 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
oh man sorry to hear that.

I remember you posting all your photos of your car and your red brake calipers I think.

ANyways, the most important thing is that you and your family is safe.

Keep posting stuff and keep us updated.
Red calipers def are Ken haha, but thanks you are right family and I are safe and thats most imporant.

Originally Posted by Bearcat
On the bright side. You are ALIVE! and also this gives you an opportunity to get Triple LEDs next time.
Exactly what all my friends said, since I really regretted not getting them. Also lucky that I didnt drop coin on the tint the weekend prior to my accident.

Originally Posted by kenforum
That was a horrible accident but glad you are ok SFocLA. Hope the case settles down quick and hope you find another RX matching what you desired!
I want your RX...lol

Originally Posted by kitlz
SFocLA, sorry your F-Sport is gone after a few brief months. The RX took quite the impact. Please get checked for soft tissue injury. That might explain the soreness. And try not to be too hard on yourself. It was a very unfortunate accident. I have a feeling you'll be back with another F-Sport. For now though, take care of yourself. That's what's most important in the end.
Thank you buddy. I am trying to locate a white F sport at the moment as we speak. Wheeling and dealing all the dealerships from SF to SD.

Thank you to all the forum members with the support. It is nice to know humanity is still alive.
Old 03-22-16, 05:42 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Dang glad you're safe!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-23-16, 03:39 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious...did it have the safety system plus? If so any idea why the automatic braking for collision avoidance didn't activate?
Old 03-23-16, 05:47 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Really sorry to see this, glad you're ok.. You can always get another RX..
Old 03-23-16, 06:50 AM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you are ok along with the other guys involved in the accident. That is what matters ultimately.

Just like most here, I'd like to ask, did you have the LSS+? Isn't PCS with auto brake on by default? Did it activate?
Old 03-23-16, 08:42 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

At any time, did the PCS (Pre-Collission System) kick in at all in your situation?
Old 03-23-16, 10:13 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad your safe and nice to see so many members care about you too
Thanks for posting the pics its interesting to see in the real world what happens when you have an accident . Hope you get your insurance sorted quickly
Old 03-23-16, 11:30 PM
SFocLA
Driver

well i said bye to her one last time today when I released her to my insurance company

here are more pics of the airbags

Old 03-24-16, 09:48 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@Jon

I'm so sorry that your beautiful car was in an accident and I'm really glad that everyone was safe. Praise to the awesome engineers who designed the RX to keep everyone safe. I hope you are not discouraged and that you find your way back into another RX with triple beams

@everyone

The car doesn't have the LSS because the LKA camera for the system blocks the rear view mirror when looking at the car through the windshield. It's a huge box with a camera that you can't miss. Wish it doubled as a dash cam for us, but I bet it secretly records to our car's black box

Last edited by unowned; 03-24-16 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-24-16, 10:12 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Jon, after seeing the pics, glad to see you're okay.

Curious, why are you so disappointed with yourself for this accident??
Old 03-24-16, 10:14 AM
Franklin5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very observant, Unowned! I just went back to all of the photos and you're right - the camera box can't be viewed relative to the rear view mirror in these photos.

Has anyone experienced a real-world situation where the PCS saved them from rear-ending someone? I've never had mine activated (alarm or braking), even though I've had people cut in front of me or I've otherwise have had to make sudden stops. Makes me wonder if it's still there in the background and waits until your just a few feet away, or if I've somehow disabled it, but the manual says otherwise.

Would be comforting to hear from others that had it save their tails (or, someone else's tail-end).
Old 03-24-16, 10:24 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by RX469
Jon, after seeing the pics, glad to see you're okay.

Curious, why are you so disappointed with yourself for this accident??
Just disappointed as I pride myself in driving safely, my first big accident.

However on the brighter note, I just got my valuation from insurance and even though the car had almost 4k in miles, the amount was not as bad as I thought.
Old 03-24-16, 10:31 AM
Franklin5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Just disappointed as I pride myself in driving safely, my first big accident.

However on the brighter note, I just got my valuation from insurance and even though the car had almost 4k in miles, the amount was not as bad as I thought.
Very glad your okay, and that the insurance coverage is better than expected. Now you have to find a matching new one!
Old 03-24-16, 12:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin5
Has anyone experienced a real-world situation where the PCS saved them from rear-ending someone? I've never had mine activated (alarm or braking), even though I've had people cut in front of me or I've otherwise have had to make sudden stops. Makes me wonder if it's still there in the background and waits until your just a few feet away, or if I've somehow disabled it, but the manual says otherwise.

Would be comforting to hear from others that had it save their tails (or, someone else's tail-end).
Absolutely YES! I was exiting an Interstate highway in summer 2014 when a driver in the lane to my left swerved sharply into my exit lane. I was going about 60 mph and the other driver was doing maybe 25 mph. I had noticed the left two lanes suddenly slowing down so I should have slowed down too.

Regardless of what I should have done, PCS slammed on the brakes of my 2014 Sienna before I even lifted my foot off the gas pedal - and I really mean SLAMMED on the brakes. My seat belt tightened with incredible force - so much that my chest hurt for the next day or so. It seemed like I missed hitting the other car by an inch. There was a loud ZING when the seat belt unspooled. It was a remarkable experience that probably lasted only a second or two.

PCS on the Sienna has barely kicked in a couple of other times but those were much more minor incidents. As far as I know - not that my wife would tell me - PCS on our 2012 Prius v has never been invoked. The difference between the automatic braking of PCS and DRCC is that seat belts tighten only when PCS is invoked. My wife and I decided some years ago that we would buy only vehicles that have automatic braking / collision avoidance systems but we are rather ... ahem ... advanced in years.

Quick Reply: Totaled 2016 RX350 F Sport - No one injured, disappointed at myself