RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Beat-sonic CarPlay solution

Old 09-01-17, 09:03 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaRXprs
Bro good idea. Let us know how it goes. Just wanted to give you my two cents, make sure they ground it very well and use shielded RCA's. While they install, check to see if there is reduced noise and if you could get a better ground by screwing it into a sanded portion of the chassis or directly to the harness. Having that many connections tend to increase loop noise. It super easy for installers to "mickey mouse" the job and just splice wires together by splitting the outer sheath on cables and "splicing" them with electrical tape; specially on the grounding cable. Given I have no idea who is installing it so just wanted to put in my .02

Happy modding!
I'm having them (Beat Sonic) do it since this is their video, I'm inclined to believe they're professional and know what they're doing.

Will report back.
Old 09-01-17, 09:23 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

All I learned from the video is that if I sneeze too hard, my car will fall apart.

I've done similar mods in my previous cars, and I almost never utilized it. Good luck with the install.
Old 09-01-17, 09:25 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Hahaha.

The ability to use Google maps and/or Waze alone make it worth it to me. The fact that you can play videos is nice too.
Old 11-17-17, 06:37 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

any update on any of this ?? interested in screen mirroring my android somehow.
thanks !!
Old 11-20-17, 12:09 PM
mrferret
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did this install myself following beatsonic's install video, but instead added a Apple TV 4K instead of using the HDMI-Lighting adapter cable. I tried the HDMI-Lighting adapter but didn't like the mess it created keeping that connected and in landscape mode. I put the Apple TV 4K unit also behind the radio unit which was a pretty tight fit in that area, but it is possible to do. I ran the figure8 power cable for the Apple TV 4K out of the head unit and along where the driver's side center console paneling meets the floor to a small form factor inverter powered off of the 2nd row lighter port.

The Apple TV 4K allows you to display mirror without a wifi network, which is great. I just swipe up on my Iphone 8+ and then select the Apple TV directly. I thought it'd be nice if anyone in the car could push to the display, so that's why I did it that way. As people have said, the center display is lower resolution, so that doesn't solve this. I find the screen quality acceptable for video, waze and apple maps. I think beatsonic has a similar solution for android devices, or I guess you could just pick up a chromecast. I do like that the Apple 4K doesn't need a wifi network (so I could avoid having to install one using a hotspot for my car).
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (12-17-17)
Old 12-17-17, 08:47 AM
eruisi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this Beat-sonic product ever come to market? Didn't find any followups on their official website.
Old 12-17-17, 11:39 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrferret
I just did this install myself following beatsonic's install video, but instead added a Apple TV 4K instead of using the HDMI-Lighting adapter cable. I tried the HDMI-Lighting adapter but didn't like the mess it created keeping that connected and in landscape mode. I put the Apple TV 4K unit also behind the radio unit which was a pretty tight fit in that area, but it is possible to do. I ran the figure8 power cable for the Apple TV 4K out of the head unit and along where the driver's side center console paneling meets the floor to a small form factor inverter powered off of the 2nd row lighter port.

The Apple TV 4K allows you to display mirror without a wifi network, which is great. I just swipe up on my Iphone 8+ and then select the Apple TV directly. I thought it'd be nice if anyone in the car could push to the display, so that's why I did it that way. As people have said, the center display is lower resolution, so that doesn't solve this. I find the screen quality acceptable for video, waze and apple maps. I think beatsonic has a similar solution for android devices, or I guess you could just pick up a chromecast. I do like that the Apple 4K doesn't need a wifi network (so I could avoid having to install one using a hotspot for my car).
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I'm going to do the same thing! Any pics?
Old 12-20-17, 03:34 AM
JSracer
Instructor

so the mirroring , the audio in the vehicle is only from a source on your phone correct ??
say playing fm or sat, there is no way to see the phone screen correct ??

knowing these limitations, might lead me to an external solution in the armrest, aux cable something. especially since the video quality is composite only.
or figure a way to have my phone in view, guess we are use to that now,
Old 01-19-18, 04:41 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Well, I ordered the beatsonic kit the other day and it arrived today. I also ran to Best buy and got the screen beam deal for Android.
install will be in the near future,

Still trying to find a clean phone holder mount solution, so I can use Waze and listen to other audio sources. Figured the screen mirroring was a bonus, needed and wanted the in motion bypass.
Old 05-23-18, 12:19 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone installed a beatsonic front camera or iphone mirroring?

Just wondering who has it and what people think of it?
Old 05-23-18, 01:41 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by goto35
Just wondering who has it and what people think of it?
It's great but dislike the 720p limitation.
Old 06-12-18, 10:55 AM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrferret

Can you show us pictures of where you put the inverter and how it looks? CAn you see the inverter?
Old 07-22-18, 05:57 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm guessing if I want to mirror google maps from my iphone, I can't lock my phones screen?
Old 08-15-18, 10:42 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anyone with 17 RX install a Beat-Sonic for carplay

Just ordered a Beat-Sonic for Apple CarPlay for my 17 RX350/navigational.
wondered is anyone has had it installed and any tips, yea or nay.
anyone in Boston area, so I can see how it works?
Old 08-15-18, 12:42 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Just ordered a Beat-Sonic for Apple CarPlay for my 17 RX350/navigational.
wondered is anyone has had it installed and any tips, yea or nay.
anyone in Boston area, so I can see how it works?

Unfortunately I don't think you have the Apple CarPlay from BeatSonic. They just do the mirror system as far as I know now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beat-sonic CarPlay solution