RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tire/Wheel Protection and Maintenance Plan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 01:05 AM
BayAreaRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire/Wheel Protection and Maintenance Plan?

Hello,

I just purchased 2016 RX350 F Sport, and I have until tomorrow to respond to the dealer on the Tire/Wheel Protection and Maintenance Plan.

I never buy these things, but the prices they offered me seemed reasonable at the moment. Anyone got these plans and would you recommend?

I am looking at -
Lexus Tire & Wheel Platinum Plus, Paint-less dent repair, windshield repair -$1,000 (unlimited claims)
https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w...eel_protection

Prepaid Maintenance Plan 5/years/50,000 mile coverage - $2,000
https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w...intenance_plan

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by BayAreaRX; 02-27-16 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-27-16, 02:44 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I am not a believer in these plans either. They are a money maker for the dealer.

Think about you last few years of driving and if you have run into curbs often or had to replace your windshield, you might want to indulge. I have not and will take my chances.

The prepaid Maint plan will save you some money but do shop,around as I think you can get it for a lower price and it is good for all dealers.

Last edited by RXOwner; 02-27-16 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-27-16, 07:12 AM
2016 RX350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BayAreaRX
Hello,

I just purchased 2016 RX350 F Sport, and I have until tomorrow to respond to the dealer on the Tire/Wheel Protection and Maintenance Plan.

I never buy these things, but the prices they offered me seemed reasonable at the moment. Anyone got these plans and would you recommend?

I am looking at -
Lexus Tire & Wheel Platinum Plus, Paint-less dent repair, windshield repair -$1,000 (unlimited claims)
https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w...eel_protection

Prepaid Maintenance Plan 5/years/50,000 mile coverage - $2,000
https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w...intenance_plan

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
When I purchased my first RX 350 F-Sport back in December I added the Lexus Tire & Wheel Platinum plus, Paint-less dent repair, windshield repair with tinted windows.
Early this month i got a flat tire with only 1500 miles on the vehicle. Called Lexus roadside they came and changed the flat tire with the spare The original tire had a nail in it. The Next morning I drove to Lexus of Smithtown. Showed the service rep the tire with the nail in it, told him I had the tire plan. He wrote it up I took a seat in the waiting room figuring they would put a plug in the tire. 10 minuets later he comes out and tells me they are replacing the tire with a new one.
Old 02-27-16, 07:21 AM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my tire plan for only 649 I believe. It includes the PDR for sure. Can't remember if it included the windshield unlimited, but I think it does too. Fyi.
Old 02-27-16, 07:27 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am typically not a believer in these plans, but when I had the 2013 RX, I subscribed to the wheel/tire and paint-less dent repair.

In the back of my mind, I always thought it was a waste of money until I needed them both.

Lexus buffed 2 wheels that were scratched by accidental curb grazing on my part (looked good as new), and were constantly sucking out door dings, when I would bring it in for routine service.

I was actually impressed with the door ding removal, always kept the car looking good.

So, when it was time to get the 2016 RX, I did the same, and the decision was easier.

I have the dent removal on my 2012 ISF as well, and its paid for itself
Old 02-27-16, 08:01 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The Lexus Tire & Wheel Platinum Plus has been worth it in our family. My parents have it on their 2016 RX and 2015 ES. My mom already got one tire replaced due to debris on road (free) and two rims refinished due to damage at the car wash. My dad just got a windshield chip yesterday, so he'll be taking it in to get it addressed, and he had one tire replaced due to debris on road (free). The dealer gave them loaners while did the repairs. They also bought the plans at a reduced rate, so negotiate with your dealer on it.
Old 02-27-16, 08:06 AM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a new RX yesterday. It is a two year lease. They push hard on the plan. It cost $1300. But unless you really have a problem, I think it doesn't pay. Look at the lease return booklet on the lexus web site. That gives you an idea of what is considered normal wear and tear. When you trade the car in or return a lease, a few dings in the wheels won't hurt.
One of my friends has a BMW Z4 with low profile tires and he has destroyed several wheels and tires from pot holes. But the RX doesn't have that problem. Save the money and put it towards a kitty for repairs including buffing out the wheels if necessary.
Old 02-27-16, 08:26 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by joewnj
I just picked up a new RX yesterday. It is a two year lease. They push hard on the plan. It cost $1300. But unless you really have a problem, I think it doesn't pay. Look at the lease return booklet on the lexus web site. That gives you an idea of what is considered normal wear and tear. When you trade the car in or return a lease, a few dings in the wheels won't hurt.
One of my friends has a BMW Z4 with low profile tires and he has destroyed several wheels and tires from pot holes. But the RX doesn't have that problem. Save the money and put it towards a kitty for repairs including buffing out the wheels if necessary.
Your dealer was obviously trying to make extra profit off of you for that plan since it runs for $1000 regardless of tire size. I'm surprised they didn't budge when you refused it. Idk about your area, but there's tons of opportunities to get nails and ruin the tires on potholes over here. I had a loaner RX once with 5 nails between two tires, and one of them started losing pressure when I returned it (doubt I was the one that got all those nails).

To the OP, Lexus also refunds you the unused portion when you return the car (if leased).
Old 02-27-16, 09:51 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

These special plans are how the financing guy makes his bonus!
Old 02-27-16, 10:18 PM
BayAreaRX
Driver School Candidate

$950 is what I paid for the wheel/tire protection + windshield + dent repair for 5 years.. Didn't get the maintenance plan though. Looking at the maintenance schedule, not much going on through 50K. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.. I have some time to decide on this, I was told by the dealer.
Thanks!
Old 02-28-16, 03:02 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

I've been driving Lexi for 26 years. I damaged one wheel and two tires along the way. If you can afford a Lexus, you can afford to absorb occasional "oops" costs when they occur. Just my .02
Old 02-28-16, 06:12 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
I've been driving Lexi for 26 years. I damaged one wheel and two tires along the way. If you can afford a Lexus, you can afford to absorb occasional "oops" costs when they occur. Just my .02
Agreed. I have passed up deals like this to the point I would still be ahead if I had to replace a wheel or iPhone. It is called insurance which is a waste of money unless you need it.
Old 02-28-16, 11:35 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
It is called insurance which is a waste of money unless you need it.
"unless" could be "until" for those that care.
Old 02-28-16, 12:07 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bootman
"unless" could be "until" for those that care.
Many, many years of driving and never hit a curb plus FL insurance replaces windshield at no cost to the owner for those who care.
Old 02-29-16, 05:24 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for all the info.

I knew I wasn't going to get these packages but this confirmed it.

ALso, about the road rash, damaging wheels, you can repair them for very cheap. Just yelp it. And it will look like factory.

I was trying to figure out a way to protect the wheels from hitting the curb on accident but it's not that big of a deal with these repairs.