RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 11:59 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
I just installed the Curt on my 17RX350 F-Sport. It took me an hour, most of the time it was me cursing as I couldn't find my socket extender. Once I positioned the hitch in place, I used a jack-stand to hold one side of the hitch as I bolted the other side. I also used threadlocker and a torque wrench. One piece of advice, if you don't have upper body strength, get a friend to help - benching this heavy thing while maneuvering it inside is not easy. The hitch looks great!
Funny I see myself doing the same thing...Some times it helps to have a friend, a jack, or three arms! Had a good chuckle when I read this. Thanks for the great info to!
Old 07-31-17, 06:59 PM
Nik0nGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for a aftermarket Hitch Receiver?

I have a 2016 F-Sport, but it did not come with the Hitch Receiver. Now, I'd like to get a Thule 4-bike rack that connects via the Hitch and wanted to see what the options were in the aftermarkets since I think Lexus charges $500+ for the receiver. Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-01-17, 03:08 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

NikOnGuy,

Read the last 5-10 posts in this section. The Curt 13272 receiver is what you need. Order it on Amazon, spend 30-60 minutes installing, and enjoy a great looking receiver.
The following users liked this post:
Nik0nGuy (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 06:03 PM
Nik0nGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfz219
NikOnGuy,

Read the last 5-10 posts in this section. The Curt 13272 receiver is what you need. Order it on Amazon, spend 30-60 minutes installing, and enjoy a great looking receiver.
Thanks, I actually searched but didn't see anything - I guess old age really is catching up to me. I ordered mine today!
Old 08-07-17, 08:41 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too can vouch for the Curt hitch on a 2017 RX350. I have had a ton of experience with hitches on other vehicles towing ski boats all my life and I can say without a doubt this set-up is as good as it gets. I'm 75yr old, not as agile as I once was, and I did this installation myself with the help of two jack stands. It was helpful to hear a couple here had an alignment problem with one of the mounting screws so I hand installed all 6 bolts first and simply jiggled everything in place before tightening with a toque wrench. I also ordered the wiring harness. The matting plug for the harness was located on the driver's side near the bumper. Plug & Play. No drilling, no welding, no extra hardware, bolts or washers.....all done with one wrench. It took me maybe an hour.
Old 09-18-17, 12:09 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks much for the information on this.
question is what are people doing with the flat 4 way wiring?? I haven't seen any pictures or ways to route it to keep it out of the way when not in use and close when needed.

thanks again for the time
Old 09-18-17, 01:38 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

it's a little cheaper at autoanything.com

they're currently throwing in a hitch cover (plug) too
Old 09-18-17, 07:35 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
Thanks much for the information on this.
question is what are people doing with the flat 4 way wiring?? I haven't seen any pictures or ways to route it to keep it out of the way when not in use and close when needed.

thanks again for the time

You can use a plug similar to this one or just unplug your harness from your tow package connector up on the left rear area. You could also just tuck the wiring up under the rear panels.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
chrisper (11-16-17), JSracer (09-19-17)
Old 11-16-17, 11:13 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all the informative posts in this thread, I purchased a Curt hitch for my 2016 450h F-Sport, and have used it successfully to haul a fully-loaded utility trailer with no issues.

My husband did the installation, and he brushed aside all my offers to get jacks and/or ramps to assist him. Instead, he slid his 6' 4" not-so-slim frame under the vehicle, removed the underside fascia, and laid the hitch along his body. He pushed his body up in what's called the "bridge pose" in yoga (and, no, he doesn't do yoga) to hold the hitch up against the car's underside. To my amazement, he actually held that position long enough to successfully attach the hitch. He exclaimed that that was the easiest hitch install he's ever done. LOL.

Cutting the fascia to match the size of the tow hitch bar was actually more of a pain than attaching the hitch itself. (The included template didn't seem to offer enough clearance for the tow hitch bar.)

Last edited by chrisper; 11-16-17 at 11:21 PM. Reason: edit a word
Old 03-27-18, 03:59 PM
cristka
Driver School Candidate

Question 2017 RX350 Fsport hitch install

Got my 2017 rx350 Fsports months ago. I am planning to install a hitch for my rx. Did a lot of search online and found out the part 13272 is strongly recommend. And the installation is pretty easy.
After watched the video on etrailer, I located the white connect under my car. But I also read some trends saying that every new rx350s have that installed. Even we find it, we still need a converter and oil/transmission coolers because normal rx350 does not come with the tow package.
Just wondering is there any one install the hitch and the harness by his own on the non-tow package 2017 rx350 sprots2?
Old 05-04-18, 08:24 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Is it me or does the Curt sit a bit lower than the OEM that appears to be tucked further with the rear valence?
Old 05-04-18, 09:24 PM
Rxlady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow package

i was so happy to read in this thread that I will not have to cut anything to install the Curtis hitch on my 2018 Rx! I was dreading getting one installed because I was afraid we were going to have to cut something. If I have the factory tow package, what else do I need to purchase? My 2015 didn’t have the tow package and we had Lexus install the wiring for us.
Old 05-04-18, 09:25 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by elimmigran
Is it me or does the Curt sit a bit lower than the OEM that appears to be tucked further with the rear valence?
I don’t understand what you are asking...
Old 05-04-18, 09:38 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

I don’t understand what you are asking...
oem hitch appears to be tucked in (up) compared to the Curt. As in, higher up. I bought the oem pieces under this observation (assumption) and I don’t want to install them if I’m wrong. My rx is lowered so having the hitch sit higher is important to me.
Old 05-04-18, 09:40 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Rxlady
i was so happy to read in this thread that I will not have to cut anything to install the Curtis hitch on my 2018 Rx! I was dreading getting one installed because I was afraid we were going to have to cut something. If I have the factory tow package, what else do I need to purchase? My 2015 didn’t have the tow package and we had Lexus install the wiring for us.
The only thing I can think that you will need is your trailer wiring plug. The Lexus factory wiring plug should plug right up to a trailer plug (that your trailer wires plug into).

Quick Reply: Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)