RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 11:23 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Hey, the dealer is telling me that if they install a hitch they need to remove a shroud to put the hitch on and they can't reinstall it. I didn't see any comments about removing a shroud in this thread. Is this something I can do without?
Check this out. It might help. http://www.draw-tite.com/support/ins...ion/N75540.pdf
Old 04-13-16, 11:39 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Hey, the dealer is telling me that if they install a hitch they need to remove a shroud to put the hitch on and they can't reinstall it. I didn't see any comments about removing a shroud in this thread. Is this something I can do without?
In order to install you just remove this black piece from the under the car (maybe its called the shroud) but you can easily reinstall it.

You can def do without, it looks like it was there just for a tow loop attachment, I can post a picture later.
Old 04-13-16, 12:57 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Site only mentions the 350 F Sport.

Will the C13272 Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" fit a RX 450H F Sport thought?
Old 04-13-16, 01:27 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by JosersRX
Site only mentions the 350 F Sport.

Will the C13272 Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" fit a RX 450H F Sport thought?
I believe the body is exactly so I think so, I would call them to see if they have any intel.
Old 04-18-16, 05:46 PM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFocLA
In order to install you just remove this black piece from the under the car (maybe its called the shroud) but you can easily reinstall it.

You can def do without, it looks like it was there just for a tow loop attachment, I can post a picture later.
Sorry I'm not too savvy when it comes to this sort of stuff. I'm thinking about installing a hitch but the OEM one at the dealer is way too expensive. Would you discourage someone who doesn't know anything about this sort of thing to install this on their own? Does installing this require jacking the vehicle up? Or can it be done just laying underneath it?
Old 04-18-16, 05:54 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by frubalup
Sorry I'm not too savvy when it comes to this sort of stuff. I'm thinking about installing a hitch but the OEM one at the dealer is way too expensive. Would you discourage someone who doesn't know anything about this sort of thing to install this on their own? Does installing this require jacking the vehicle up? Or can it be done just laying underneath it?
1-10 difficulty, 10 being a mechanic level

this install is 2

here are the steps:
1. remove plugs underneath the car by popping off with screwdriver (instructions are clear and have pics from etrailer)
2. remove the bolts for the tow bracket (you will need a socket wrench and a extender)
3. ask a friend or get a jack so you can both lift up the tow hitch underneath the car. no need for jacking up the car. if you are solo you will need a jacket to help lift up the hitch into place
4. screw in the 6 bolts. boom, done in less than 30 mins and you save yourself at least $600 and feel a little more handy than you did 30 mins ago.
Old 04-18-16, 05:57 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by frubalup
Absolutely. You need to know what you are doing. It's a safety item. If you don't do it right, it might come off with something attached and hurt someone on the road.
Old 04-18-16, 06:56 PM
Newbalewb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
1-10 difficulty, 10 being a mechanic level

this install is 2

here are the steps:
1. remove plugs underneath the car by popping off with screwdriver (instructions are clear and have pics from etrailer)
2. remove the bolts for the tow bracket (you will need a socket wrench and a extender)
3. ask a friend or get a jack so you can both lift up the tow hitch underneath the car. no need for jacking up the car. if you are solo you will need a jacket to help lift up the hitch into place
4. screw in the 6 bolts. boom, done in less than 30 mins and you save yourself at least $600 and feel a little more handy than you did 30 mins ago.
So you remove the tow bracket and don't put it back on? If so, what do we use in place of the tow bracket if it's ever needed?
Old 06-26-16, 02:42 PM
plusONEran
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbalewb
So you remove the tow bracket and don't put it back on? If so, what do we use in place of the tow bracket if it's ever needed?

that would be... the hitch
Old 08-11-16, 02:56 PM
Star1k
Driver School Candidate

Today installed Curt hitch (C13272) on my 2016 rx350 ( ordered from etailer and made them price match , there are a few websites which offer this part for less than 120 ). The whole thing ( including taking the pictures) took me about 15 minutes to install by myself . NO bumper cutting is required. The hitch looks nice.
Only one thing needed to be done - bend a heat shield a little bit so it will not touch nor hitch nor bumper ( picture 4)
Comparing with OEM hitch : quotes from lexus dealers were in 1000- 1300 range ( with parts and labor ) - to 114 i paid for curt and 30 minutes of my time.
Attached Thumbnails Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)-img_4565.jpg   Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)-img_4545.jpg   Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)-img_4563.jpg   Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)-img_4554.jpg  
Old 08-15-16, 10:18 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Star1k
Today installed Curt hitch (C13272) on my 2016 rx350 ( ordered from etailer and made them price match , there are a few websites which offer this part for less than 120 ). The whole thing ( including taking the pictures) took me about 15 minutes to install by myself . NO bumper cutting is required. The hitch looks nice.
Only one thing needed to be done - bend a heat shield a little bit so it will not touch nor hitch nor bumper ( picture 4)
Comparing with OEM hitch : quotes from lexus dealers were in 1000- 1300 range ( with parts and labor ) - to 114 i paid for curt and 30 minutes of my time.
Which website did you do the price match to? I wasn't able to find something for less than $161 inlc. shipping for the 450h hitch (C13282).
Old 08-17-16, 05:07 AM
tomekRX
Driver School Candidate

Looks excellent, i got mine done too, very straight forward. Did you get the lights for the trailer plug to work?
Old 08-17-16, 06:24 AM
Star1k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Which website did you do the price match to? I wasn't able to find something for less than $161 inlc. shipping for the 450h hitch (C13282).
it was AutoAnything. - but I just quickly checked it seems Hitch for rx450 is more expensive- which does not make any sense- if I remember correctly 350 and 450 has the same body and trunk space is identical.
check eBay , it seems they have it for 136 and change with free shipping.
Old 08-22-16, 11:51 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cec327
For those interested, here are the Curt 13272 instructions:

http://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary..._13272_INS.PDF

Looks like the main difference between the Curt and the Draw-tite are the number of bolts used to secure to the frame.
Curt uses 6 total bolts while the Draw-tite uses four.
Old 08-22-16, 11:58 AM
tomekRX
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I didn't use the Lexus OEM hitch, too expensive. Found exact fit from CURT for $119, excellent quality and easy install. Took me only 30 minutes and anyone that's capable of screwing a bolt will be able to do this. while you're under the car, on the driver side, on the inside of the rear bumper, you'll find connector for the lights, it has a cover plug that needs to be removed before connecting the extension CURT 56083 T-Connector. Next locate the connector for the towing converter. It is right behind the removable storage basket on the passenger side inside the car's cargo area. It was covered with black plastic insulation tape. There is a hole right next to it that you can use to secure the converter in place either with the included screw or a tie-rap. Part number for the converter is: PT725-48160. I found it on eBay Total cost: $283
$119 CURT Receiver Hitches - 13272, comes with free 2" receiver plug.
$14 CURT 56083 T-Connector
$150 Relay, Towing Converter PT725-48160 available on ebay

Enjoy

Last edited by tomekRX; 08-31-16 at 04:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)