RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Headlight Choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 02:18 PM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Yes, because of that I doubt we have Adaptive Front Lighting. We have Auto leveling and turning lights here.
My wife drives a Mazda CX-5 that has the HID headlights which move left or right in a turn. IMO I think the RX triple headlight combo with the side LED that lights the side during turns is much better. That LED that shines to the side really lights up a large area. The CX-5 system doesn't light enough of the side to make a difference. Seems more like a fun gadget.
Old 02-22-18, 10:39 AM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Triple Beam vs Xenon HID

The Triple Beam LED looks amazing on the RX350. The dealership had two 2018 RX350 side by side, one with triple beam LED, the other the standard HID. I turned both on at night this was 7:30PM. Viewing the triple beam head on, they are bright and distinct, more so than the projector HID. However when in the drivers seat, I noticed that the xenon HID projector had a better "throw" and lumen intensity whereas the triple beam HID's throw and lumen was not as good but maybe 10% less.

Does anyone feel the same way or is it just me?
Old 02-22-18, 01:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by nukezero
The Triple Beam LED looks amazing on the RX350. The dealership had two 2018 RX350 side by side, one with triple beam LED, the other the standard HID. I turned both on at night this was 7:30PM. Viewing the triple beam head on, they are bright and distinct, more so than the projector HID. However when in the drivers seat, I noticed that the xenon HID projector had a better "throw" and lumen intensity whereas the triple beam HID's throw and lumen was not as good but maybe 10% less.

Does anyone feel the same way or is it just me?
The LED is nicer to look at, while the HID are nicer to look with :P

The same is reported by IIHS, for some reason unbeknownst to me, the tech isnt superior to old school xenon/hid tech....maybe different with other makes, but it seems its an LED thing
Old 02-22-18, 01:36 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The LED is nicer to look at, while the HID are nicer to look with :P

The same is reported by IIHS, for some reason unbeknownst to me, the tech isnt superior to old school xenon/hid tech....maybe different with other makes, but it seems its an LED thing
they are both led, no hid in the projector its led.
Old 02-22-18, 02:18 PM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdude
Acura failed as the DOT got involved because people saying they can't see the road good..
Slightly OT, but more info on this? I've tried the LED headlights on the MDX and TLX and they've both been as bright and effective as a collapsed star - no clue why people would be unable to see with them.
Old 02-04-19, 09:11 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Bi-LED vs Triple Beam/13 vs 16 headlights

Hey all, just curious, for those of you who've had multiple 4RX's and have had both headlight options, how would you compare them? I've been looking at trading in my 13 RX for a 4th gen, found a nice loaded 16 with every option and low miles so I've really been considering it. Maybe another question could pertain to how the 13's headlights compare to the triple beams?
Old 02-04-19, 10:26 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Check out these YouTube videos, this reviewer does a headlight test of each car, nothing scientific but confirms what many have said over time, including the IIHS. For the first video, the headlight test of the standard Bi-LEDs begins at 5:24. For the second video, the headlight test of the Triple Beams begins at 3:12. In the second video, he compares the Triple Beams to the Bi-LEDs that he previously tested. He had both vehicles at the same time.

Basically, the Bi-LEDs and the Triple Beams are actually pretty comparable in performance. This isn't to say the Triple Beams are bad, it's just that the standard Bi-LEDs are very good. With the Triple Beam option, you do get much better looking headlights, a nicer & crisper Lexus "L" DRL, & LED turn signals in addition to cornering lights that make upgrading worth it just for that alone, IMO.

However, the IIHS tested both sets of headlights and actually rated the Triple Beams as worse than the Bi-LEDs. The standard Bi-LEDs got an "A" or "acceptable" rating and the Triple Beams were rated as "M" or "marginal" which is one notch below "A" and just above "P" for "poor."

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve.../rx-4-door-suv

Newer generations of Lexus vehicles, like the new ES, have Triple Beams that are actually worth the upgrade in terms of lighting performance so this isn't a characteristic of all Lexus triple beam headlights and most are an upgrade over the base Bi-LEDs.
Old 02-04-19, 11:58 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Ah, yeah, I remember that IIHS page now. At the time, I wondered why Lexus would add a headlight "upgrade" only for it to performance worse than the stock options at the time. Glad to know they've improved upon it with the newer vehicles. Thanks!
Old 02-04-19, 05:13 PM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Check out these YouTube videos, this reviewer does a headlight test of each car, nothing scientific but confirms what many have said over time, including the IIHS. For the first video, the headlight test of the standard Bi-LEDs begins at 5:24. For the second video, the headlight test of the Triple Beams begins at 3:12. In the second video, he compares the Triple Beams to the Bi-LEDs that he previously tested. He had both vehicles at the same time.

https://youtu.be/IEHUBcMrnmM?t=324

https://youtu.be/lXS25FZ0QHI?t=192

However, the IIHS tested both sets of headlights and actually rated the Triple Beams as worse than the Bi-LEDs. The standard Bi-LEDs got an "A" or "acceptable" rating and the Triple Beams were rated as "M" or "marginal" which is one notch below "A" and just above "P" for "poor."

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve.../rx-4-door-suv
The standard headlights without the adaptive option are rated the same as the triple beams. You have to purchase the Adaptive BI-LEDs to get the headlights that are rated acceptable.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-04-19)
Old 02-05-19, 02:14 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmtsx

The standard headlights without the adaptive option are rated the same as the triple beams. You have to purchase the Adaptive BI-LEDs to get the headlights that are rated acceptable.
This is 100% correct. We had the triples in our 2015 NX and loved them, but when we bought our new RX, it had everything else but that...it did have the upgraded Adaptive option, though. I was really bummed at first, but now, after researching a bit and reading the IIHS report, I'm actually glad we have the Adaptive Bi-LED's. From behind the wheel, these lights do a very good job and are definately as good as the triples and, apparantly are actually better performers.

Now, truth be told, I'm still bummed about the lack of front and rear LED turn signals that the triple package also include, as well as the cleaner looking DRL's.

So, for anyone looking for answers and reading this thread...the Adaptive Bi-LED's are easily as good/better as the triples, but you will loose a little pizzazz in regards to the LED turn signals and DRL's.

Last edited by D4V1D; 02-05-19 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 12:09 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The tripples look better but perform below the standard...thats kind weird.
Old 10-22-19, 12:03 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Good to know - we have the triple beams on our ES but not RX and they do perform quite nicely including the cornering feature which I love.
I just got an RX 2019 F sport series 3 and the guy at service says I don’t have the AFS option including the cornering feature when driving freeway, mine it’s the Canadian version, any thoughts? I believe I should have it.
Old 10-22-19, 01:30 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
I just got an RX 2019 F sport series 3 and the guy at service says I don’t have the AFS option including the cornering feature when driving freeway, mine it’s the Canadian version, any thoughts? I believe I should have it.
What does it say on your window sticker?
Old 10-22-19, 02:07 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
What does it say on your window sticker?
I never got the sticker, I’ve been doing the research but the people who should know it, don’t know it.
Old 10-22-19, 07:52 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
I never got the sticker, I’ve been doing the research but the people who should know it, don’t know it.
Any Lexus dealer can give you a copy of the window sticker. Just give them the VIN.

Quick Reply: Headlight Choices