RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 04:02 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by 450h4bvrs
I am not sure where the sound was coming from, best guess was engine compartment area, lower driver side? But I didnt focus to much on it as it was a loaner AND others had mentioned here, sorry.
The reason I ask is that I think the car had an air ionizer behind the instrument cluster that sends ionized air towards the driver. This unit apparently mashes done noise when it is running.
Old 03-08-16, 05:31 PM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It happened to me a couple of times, when I do a moderate or hard acceleration from stop, or accelerating on a ramp going up from about 20 mph to 70 mph, the tachometer needle is not going up smoothly after 3rd or 4th gear. I saw the needle was bouncing up and down slightly (maybe around 100 RPM) sometimes while going up or at certain rmp shaking for about a second before switching gear. I can actually feel the car is also a little shaky, not a very smooth acceleration. With a gentle acceleration, I don't remember see this. Does anybody else experience this? And does this mean the car did not find a right gear for acceleration or something else?
Old 03-09-16, 04:02 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jackgong
It happened to me a couple of times, when I do a moderate or hard acceleration from stop, or accelerating on a ramp going up from about 20 mph to 70 mph, the tachometer needle is not going up smoothly after 3rd or 4th gear. I saw the needle was bouncing up and down slightly (maybe around 100 RPM) sometimes while going up or at certain rmp shaking for about a second before switching gear. I can actually feel the car is also a little shaky, not a very smooth acceleration. With a gentle acceleration, I don't remember see this. Does anybody else experience this? And does this mean the car did not find a right gear for acceleration or something else?
Yes I have watched my tach bounce slightly and actually feel it if I apply a good bit of gas while in the lower RPM's. The tranny is mapped to keep the RPM so low I find pushing the shift lever over to force it to drop down a gear helps. You other choice is to push the accelerator even harder to make it downshift. The trick is how hard to push it as if you push too hard the tranny drops far to low.
Old 03-09-16, 07:13 PM
Legolas2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Yes I have watched my tach bounce slightly and actually feel it if I apply a good bit of gas while in the lower RPM's. The tranny is mapped to keep the RPM so low I find pushing the shift lever over to force it to drop down a gear helps. You other choice is to push the accelerator even harder to make it downshift. The trick is how hard to push it as if you push too hard the tranny drops far to low.
Switching to "Sports Mode" eases the hesitation observed.
Old 03-10-16, 02:07 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Legolas2
Switching to "Sports Mode" eases the hesitation observed.
No kidding. It MORE than fixes it. Maybe if Lexus would give us a setting between normal and sport would be good. Sport kills your mileage.
Old 03-10-16, 04:40 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday my wife noticed the "water flowing" noise, as several posters noted. This probably happened because I lowered the volume down when parked the car, so when she started it, it was more obvious. I think we might have not noticed it earlier because of the music playing. Its not bothering us too much, but it is really weird. I tried flipping through AC settings to see if its caused by the system, but does not seem so. I thought that It did get quieter after a few minutes of idling while I tried to figure out what may be causing it or where its coming from. To me it sounded like it was loudest on startup, then subsided, but was still there.
I doubt Lexus will try too hard to fix this, as its not a functional problem and they may just shrug it off haha. I will mention this next time I'm in for a service, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 03-10-16, 07:10 AM
joan9550
Driver School Candidate

I also noticed gurgling fluid sound in my new RX, (NJ went up to 75F two days ago, then AC was on).
This happened car running after 10mins with AC on.
I've tried to research online and talked to my friend, it was very common for old Lexus, and surprised it's on new RX too.
Old 03-10-16, 04:01 PM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new RX has the same problem, believe there's no remedy at this point. Lexus usually won't come up with a fix until they hear enough complaints about it.
Old 03-10-16, 06:25 PM
Kntoday
Driver School Candidate

Here are the issues I have seen so far with my 4RX. Anyone seeing the same?

1. Ticking/rattling noises from doors/dashboard over bumps/rough roads.

2. Left side mirror vibrates over bumps or rough roads

3. The car is very loose/floaty comparing to other RXs I've tried, especially on uneven roads or at high speed on highways.

4. Same gurgling fluid noise and rough engine noise/vibration at idle and acceleration someone else has reported.
Old 03-10-16, 06:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

This thread seems to have a lot of issues listed. Makes me think for a second that has Lexus caught the Acura Quality bug or has the race to become a more "sport-oriented" brand like the germans inherited some of their flaws lol
Old 03-12-16, 08:15 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
The reason I ask is that I think the car had an air ionizer behind the instrument cluster that sends ionized air towards the driver. This unit apparently mashes done noise when it is running.
I've missed this, where did you read about an ionizer?
Old 03-31-16, 04:13 PM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

Don't think i have read anything about the Ionizer on the 2016 RX. Does anyone has any updates on the gurgling noise issues?
Old 03-31-16, 04:23 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by bobyg
Don't think i have read anything about the Ionizer on the 2016 RX. Does anyone has any updates on the gurgling noise issues?
It is in the new car features of the dealer repair manual. I'm not sure if our North American versions come with that though. The dealer service might be able to check on that.
Old 03-31-16, 06:38 PM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Default Gurgling noise.

Ive had numerous meetings about this noise. Last thing I was told was it might be the freon expansion valve. They mentioned the ES's had this issue many years ago and a new valve had to be created. At this time there is no fix as the complaint is new and there have not been a lot of reports yet.
Old 04-01-16, 07:46 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Hopefully there is a simple resolution for the gurgling noise.

Quick Reply: Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350