RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 04:42 AM
ramcanall
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
My 2016 has been in the shop for a week now. The air conditioning is making a "gurgling" noise. They brought their FTS in from Chicago who says it's "normal". I say it's not. We pulled another 2016 and it didn't make the noise and no car I have ever owned has made a noise like this. My issue is currently unresolved as they say they won't "fix" it. It also was throwing a "braking power low" warning. This would happen when the car was cold and had sat overnight. (I live in KY). They tell me it was losing pressure and a vacuum tube had to be replaced. There was another 2016 brought in after mine with the same issue. I'm currently very unhappy with the service.
My wife's is having the exact same issue with the AC noise. Her car is getting serviced this week and the dealer has been notified of the issue.

There's also another thread with a few owners who are having the issue as well.
Old 03-03-16, 11:23 AM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john221us
I took mine to the dealer to get the Permaplate done and had them program a couple of items while it was there (unlock all doors when I grab door handle and roll down windows when I hold down lock on fob). When I picked up the car yesterday, I noticed that the rearview and side mirrors were in night mode. I pushed the button on the rearview mirror and it went to normal, but it starts out in night mode now, every time I start the car. It wasn't doing this before I took it in for service. I called the dealer and he suggested that I check the dash brightness and that if it is all the way up, it could possibly cause this. I will check when I get home tonight (I am driving my convertible today, due to great weather). Has anyone else experienced this?
It wasn't the dash brightness (it was in the middle). Taking it back to the dealer today. They are scratching their heads, saying there is no setting for that.
Old 03-03-16, 03:27 PM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

1. Originally Posted by john221us
    It wasn't the dash brightness (it was in the middle). Taking it back to the dealer today. They are scratching their heads, saying there is no setting for that.
Mystery solved. Apparently the dealer puts an RFID sticker on the car to "track where it is on the lot" when you bring it in for service. They placed this sticker on the back of the rearview mirror, covering the light sensor, so to the mirrors, it was always night time. The sticker is now removed from the car.
Old 03-03-16, 07:00 PM
Joesephcho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
My 2016 has been in the shop for a week now. The air conditioning is making a "gurgling" noise. They brought their FTS in from Chicago who says it's "normal". I say it's not. We pulled another 2016 and it didn't make the noise and no car I have ever owned has made a noise like this. My issue is currently unresolved as they say they won't "fix" it. It also was throwing a "braking power low" warning. This would happen when the car was cold and had sat overnight. (I live in KY). They tell me it was losing pressure and a vacuum tube had to be replaced. There was another 2016 brought in after mine with the same issue. I'm currently very unhappy with the service.
I'm having the same issue. Gurgling squealing noise. My car has been there for 2 weeks. Advisor said lex engineer deemed it normal and was similar in noise to other rx and tested the decibel levels as well. Said it was expansion valve related. This sound is not normal and doing nothing is unacceptable. Not sure how to proceed. I'm so pissed and frustrated. Talked to business manager at my local lexus but they cant do anything to fix it. Calling lexus tomorrow but I feel like it's almost useless. I'm aware of lemon law but that's always a tough sell. Any advice?
Old 03-03-16, 10:08 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Joesephcho
I'm having the same issue. Gurgling squealing noise. My car has been there for 2 weeks. Advisor said lex engineer deemed it normal and was similar in noise to other rx and tested the decibel levels as well. Said it was expansion valve related. This sound is not normal and doing nothing is unacceptable. Not sure how to proceed. I'm so pissed and frustrated. Talked to business manager at my local lexus but they cant do anything to fix it. Calling lexus tomorrow but I feel like it's almost useless. I'm aware of lemon law but that's always a tough sell. Any advice?
Since all cars are having this problem, you won't be able to claim using lemon law. I hear it in the one in our garage too. But keep making a fuss, and maybe Lexus will eventually come out with a fix.
Old 03-04-16, 01:40 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I must be deaf as I have never hear this gurgling sound while running my AC. Not sure that all 4RX units do this or if some owners just do not hear it.

Last edited by RXOwner; 03-04-16 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-04-16, 06:54 AM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

I have not heard a gurgling sound. I am just one data point, though.
Old 03-04-16, 10:08 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hadn't heard it before today either but I did distinctly hear it this morning. It sounds like the compressor to me. Seems to be coming from the back seat area.
I'm not sure what to do since others haven't had any success.
Old 03-04-16, 02:40 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also heard the ac system today. Its a mild AC noise similar to an old fridge you'd find in a motel or something....

To be honest....Its quite faint and since I run the radio on all the time, and with concrete highway road noise, doubt I will ever hear it or let it bother me...but its definitely there
Old 03-04-16, 04:48 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkoozy
I also heard the ac system today. Its a mild AC noise similar to an old fridge you'd find in a motel or something....

To be honest....Its quite faint and since I run the radio on all the time, and with concrete highway road noise, doubt I will ever hear it or let it bother me...but its definitely there
Yep, I'm sure the radio is why I hadn't noticed it before too . It's not something I can't live with it's just the idea of paying 60K and having the air conditioning sound ( like you said) similar to an old fridge.
Old 03-04-16, 07:57 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I wonder if the people who bought the 2016 RX450h hybrid veraion of the car complain of this gurgling sound too? I have heard that the AC in the hybrids are all electric thus it may not have the same problems of the RX 350s AC system. Can someone with a RXh chime in on this situation?
Old 03-04-16, 08:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I wonder if the people who bought the 2016 RX450h hybrid veraion of the car complain of this gurgling sound too? I have heard that the AC in the hybrids are all electric thus it may not have the same problems of the RX 350s AC system. Can someone with a RXh chime in on this situation?
If the gurgling sound is water or drip from condensation it really should not matter how the compressor is powered. However without knowledge of the problem and cause its gonna be hard
Old 03-05-16, 07:43 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I've had my hybrid little over a month and AC is quiet, just as my previous 3rd generation RX 450h was. Daytime temperatures have been mostly in the 80's here in Tucson area so getting plenty of use. Doubt if any 2016 450h owners will have a problem.
Old 03-05-16, 12:10 PM
miawheels
Driver School Candidate

Default Discoloration on dash

Anyone else have this problem? This is on the F Sport driver's side.
Old 03-05-16, 12:46 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you tired applying a vinyl dressing. The image makes it look like an oily spot.

Quick Reply: Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350