RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 01:48 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Why don't you buy a sports car if you feel that way!!!!
Old 03-28-19, 02:00 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
It's only an issue if you bought it with the expectations that you're driving a sports car. Did you expect differently? Did you go in thinking you'd get a fast SUV given the weight, HP/Torque, size, and FWD bias?
Again if you read my initial statement, you'd know that was not my expectation. Its not my SUV and not my daily so in the end it was my wife's final decision as to what she wanted so my opinion is probably irrelevant but wanted to give my own personal thoughts on it. Especially that when we compared to the other SUV's we crossed shopped before she decided on the RX. The RX by far the worst of driving characteristics are concerned and even she agreed the drive was average at best compared to the rest of the test drives but in the end she didn't want that car like handling feel or sports SUV feel from an SUV, she liked the comfort, float like experience and quietness of the cabin. For example, we test drove the BMW X5, Audi Q5, Volvo S90 and Mercedes GLE and all those SUVs (in that order too) where by far better handling, little to no body roll, no float like drive and driving experience was superior to the Lexus in terms of the handling and overall planted feeling. I am not hating on the RX I think it's a beautiful looking SUV and has allot to offer in other areas compared to the competition but as I stated it's simply not my cup of tea and that is what I drive the GS. I will say that despite being a very boring SUV, as I have stated in my other other posts, it's the most comfortable seating and plush ride I have both driven in and as a passenger for what it's worth just wish it has more personality and feel on the road, that is all.
The following users liked this post:
ultra63 (10-03-20)
Old 03-28-19, 10:38 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Again if you read my initial statement, you'd know that was not my expectation. Its not my SUV and not my daily so in the end it was my wife's final decision as to what she wanted so my opinion is probably irrelevant but wanted to give my own personal thoughts on it. Especially that when we compared to the other SUV's we crossed shopped before she decided on the RX. The RX by far the worst of driving characteristics are concerned and even she agreed the drive was average at best compared to the rest of the test drives but in the end she didn't want that car like handling feel or sports SUV feel from an SUV, she liked the comfort, float like experience and quietness of the cabin. For example, we test drove the BMW X5, Audi Q5, Volvo S90 and Mercedes GLE and all those SUVs (in that order too) where by far better handling, little to no body roll, no float like drive and driving experience was superior to the Lexus in terms of the handling and overall planted feeling. I am not hating on the RX I think it's a beautiful looking SUV and has allot to offer in other areas compared to the competition but as I stated it's simply not my cup of tea and that is what I drive the GS. I will say that despite being a very boring SUV, as I have stated in my other other posts, it's the most comfortable seating and plush ride I have both driven in and as a passenger for what it's worth just wish it has more personality and feel on the road, that is all.
We bought ours because we wanted exactly this. I've owned enough lowered Hondas and Beemers in my day that I want nothing more than floaty smooth drive characteristics. This is also the reason why I purchased my G30 5 Series. Ahhh, the serenity of a relaxing drive.
Old 03-29-19, 05:38 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Hope this helps someone out there.

#1 - The ticking sound. I had it. Got it replaced.
Dealership report: "CRANKCASE VENTILATION VALVE. INTERNAL FAULT IN PCV VALVING. REPLACE.".

#2 - Unstable RPM - Have not noticed this with my AC but just regular driving it would gear hunt and slip gears it seemed.
Dealership report: "DEALER DID FIND POOR FUEL QUALITY ##. VALUES SHOULD BE 25 AND ABOVE- DEALER RECOMMENDS TRYING TIER 1 PREMIUM FUEL (NAME BRAND)"

#3 - Noise coming from rear driver rear like clunking, got it fixed.
Dealership report: "SLIDING ROOF HOUSING SUBASSY. RETORQUE SUNROOF HOUSING."

#4 - Exhaust drone between 1K and 2K RPM, especially when accelerating. Replacing the exhaust pipe suggested in the TSIB did not help. I still have this annoying *** drone that I need to figure out how to fix. Went multiple times, third time dealership said "this is normal F Sport feel". SMH....
Dealership report: "FAULT IN CENTER EXHAUST PIPE REPLACE EXHAUST PIPE"
Old 03-29-19, 09:53 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pab9999
my rx350 2016 has the same AC gurgling noise.. Service department said they couldn't hear it after I dropped off vehicle. I drove to dealership and showed them the noise, then they said ' oh, that's a common issue and we'll add some refrigerant. The AC still has the noise. I'm taking my car back to the dealership again and will not stop until they fix issue. This is just one of many issues with my new car.
Dealer replaced the AC Drain Pipe on mine and the high-pitched gurling noise stopped. Apparently the new AC Drain Pipe has a different design.
Old 10-02-20, 08:50 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 2020 RX350 Common Problems

Hello.

Looks like we don't have a sticky for this. What are the common problems on the 2020 RX350s? Please share your experience.

Do they still have transmission hesitation problems?
Marlo2marc (04-04-21)
Old 10-03-20, 03:35 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 435 Likes on 237 Posts

I have had mine since Feb and have had zero problems or complaints.

Transmission has been fine for me. The eight speed gets into gears quickly (in like 5th at 20 mph) but that I am sure is to maximize fuel economy. I has not hesitated or gear hunted. S mode will hold the gears a little longer which I like and the mileage as far as I can tell has not changed. (Just drive the Acura/Honda ZF9 speed if you want to feel a crappy transmission). I think that any vehicle with more than 6 gears is going to have some delay when trying to do a rapid acceleration when moving. I am a longtime Acura owner and wanted to get the TLX when they first came out, but that transmission had so much lag when doing a pass or merge that I could not take it. The Acura RDX has had so many infotainment and build quality issues that it came off the list. The RX is not a sports car, but will respond when I need to pass. May depend on what you are coming from.

My biggest wants were CarPlay with touchscreen and this has worked perfectly for me. So I am very happy with my purchase. The ride is excellent, everything works the way it is supposed to, and I enjoy my commute. I am counting on Lexus reliability for the longterm and so far so good. Good luck.
The following 4 users liked this post by Quantum501:
Bigjer2 (10-04-20), coolbrazz (10-05-20), GS4_Fiend (10-03-20), mtsunshine (10-03-20)
Old 10-03-20, 05:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I see that owners of Highlanders and Siennas are having problems with the transmission. I figure the RX350 uses the same transmission, so I here to see if the year model 2020 still have the problem
Old 10-03-20, 05:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I see that owners of Highlanders and Siennas are having problems with the transmission. I figure the RX350 uses the same transmission, so I here to see if the year model 2020 still have the problem
We have a 2017. No issues with the trans other than the routine complaints related to too many gears.
Old 10-03-20, 09:35 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
We have a 2017. No issues with the trans other than the routine complaints related to too many gears.
Can anyone with a 2020, try to decelerate to about 5-10 mph, then reaccelerate and see if the transmission slips?
Old 10-05-20, 11:17 AM
coolbrazz
Intermediate

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts

Turned in our 2016 for a 2020 RX. No issue with the 2016. The only issue I had with our 2020 was when closing the doors using the (same pressure as I did with the 2016) the door wouldn't fully close.
They told me it was in spec with other 2020's. I then asked for the service manager, and exercised a "show-n-tell" The passenger door was the worse one that you had to slam the heavy door to get it to close.
Lexus made adjustments to the door jam hooks for a solid seal when closed. Got the RX in February and had no other issues, but it only has 4k miles on it currently. I wanted the Acura MDX since I had an TL, but the wife had her heart set on the RX again. Oh, well mama knows best....
Old 10-05-20, 02:01 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 435 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Can anyone with a 2020, try to decelerate to about 5-10 mph, then reaccelerate and see if the transmission slips?
I did this on my morning commute and no slip. I know that many transmissions will hesitate when doing a rolling acceleration, but definitely no slip.
GS4_Fiend (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 07:18 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
Hope this helps someone out there.

#1 - The ticking sound. I had it. Got it replaced.
Dealership report: "CRANKCASE VENTILATION VALVE. INTERNAL FAULT IN PCV VALVING. REPLACE.".

#2 - Unstable RPM - Have not noticed this with my AC but just regular driving it would gear hunt and slip gears it seemed.
Dealership report: "DEALER DID FIND POOR FUEL QUALITY ##. VALUES SHOULD BE 25 AND ABOVE- DEALER RECOMMENDS TRYING TIER 1 PREMIUM FUEL (NAME BRAND)"

#3 - Noise coming from rear driver rear like clunking, got it fixed.
Dealership report: "SLIDING ROOF HOUSING SUBASSY. RETORQUE SUNROOF HOUSING."

#4 - Exhaust drone between 1K and 2K RPM, especially when accelerating. Replacing the exhaust pipe suggested in the TSIB did not help. I still have this annoying *** drone that I need to figure out how to fix. Went multiple times, third time dealership said "this is normal F Sport feel". SMH....
Dealership report: "FAULT IN CENTER EXHAUST PIPE REPLACE EXHAUST PIPE"
What year is you SUV? Which dealer in NJ did you take it to?
Old 10-05-20, 07:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quantum501
I have had mine since Feb and have had zero problems or complaints.

Transmission has been fine for me. The eight speed gets into gears quickly (in like 5th at 20 mph) but that I am sure is to maximize fuel economy. I has not hesitated or gear hunted. S mode will hold the gears a little longer which I like and the mileage as far as I can tell has not changed. (Just drive the Acura/Honda ZF9 speed if you want to feel a crappy transmission). I think that any vehicle with more than 6 gears is going to have some delay when trying to do a rapid acceleration when moving. I am a longtime Acura owner and wanted to get the TLX when they first came out, but that transmission had so much lag when doing a pass or merge that I could not take it. The Acura RDX has had so many infotainment and build quality issues that it came off the list. The RX is not a sports car, but will respond when I need to pass. May depend on what you are coming from.

My biggest wants were CarPlay with touchscreen and this has worked perfectly for me. So I am very happy with my purchase. The ride is excellent, everything works the way it is supposed to, and I enjoy my commute. I am counting on Lexus reliability for the longterm and so far so good. Good luck.
What year and how miles do you have on your SUV?
Old 10-06-20, 04:54 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2019 350 has a ticking sound from the drivers window area. It only happens on the highway. The dealer of course lubricated the door seals which did not work.
GS350Miami (10-07-20)

Quick Reply: Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350