RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 06:54 AM
pbelle
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, only the battery was replaced.
Just unexpected to have issues 4 months apart with a Lexus.
Old 02-17-19, 07:04 AM
pbelle
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JSracer
loaner for what ?? wtf are you talking about ??
the dealer is 70 miles away, car towed, how would a loaner help ?? customer needs to go 70 miles to get the car,

those bold highlights contradict, don't they
The dealer actually had me call Lexus Assist (they were used to tow the vehicle TO the dealer) to see if they would tow it back to me. I knew the answer before I even called Lexus assist. I called the rep back with the no go from Lexus Roadside. The customer service rep advised me she would ask her Service mgr for advice on the issue and call me back. She never did. I just went to get the vehicle 2 days later. When the service mgr got word that I was giving less than stellar reviews, she called me and told me that she recalled the rep asking what could be done. The mgr said I should have been offered the names of "drivers for hire" that would have brought the vehicle to me for a fee. I suppose this was a solution albeit a poor one that I would not have used anyway. Just a weak dealership experience all around. I don't care for their version of service. When I couple that with 2 visits for malfunctions in a 4 month time frame, I get a not so great feeling about the car and the dealership.
Old 02-17-19, 10:27 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

himneedfor u
Originally Posted by JSracer
loaner for what ?? wtf are you talking about ??
the dealer is 70 miles away, car towed, how would a loaner help ?? customer needs to go 70 miles to get the car,

those bold highlights contradict, don't they
Claim down, man! Dealer should have given a loaner for him to go home & pick up the car later, after it was towed so he doesn't need a ride to pick it up again. get AAA next time.

Last edited by yardbird88; 02-17-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:36 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pbelle
Yes, only the battery was replaced.
Just unexpected to have issues 4 months apart with a Lexus.
I understand, but I think the problems you had was just one off or else you would see them reported quite frequently here on this forum. I believe the majority part of your frustration is that the dealership is 70 miles away...I'd pissed too if I had to go back and forth like that (covered under warranty or not).
Old 02-18-19, 09:53 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Here are the issues I have experienced so far for my 2017 RX350,

1. Vibrating at low speed. See that long thread. No fix.
2. Water leaking from microphone hole. See that semi long thread. Fixed.
3. Driver door rattle. Half fixed.
4. AC water sound. There is a thread about this as well. Dealer claimed they could not reproduce the problem.
5. Some recalls.

For me, it is not up to Lexus standard. Also, I was driving a cheap Hyundai Kona last week as a rental. It was a base model and its Lane Keep performed way better than my Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
pbelle (02-18-19)
Old 02-18-19, 10:09 AM
pbelle
10th Gear

[QUOTE=guxu;10443558]Here are the issues I have experienced so far for my 2017 RX350,

1. Vibrating at low speed. See that long thread. No fix.
2. Water leaking from microphone hole. See that semi long thread. Fixed.
3. Driver door rattle. Half fixed.
4. AC water sound. There is a thread about this as well. Dealer claimed they could not reproduce the problem.
5. Some recalls.

For me, it is not up to Lexus standard. Also, I was driving a cheap Hyundai Kona last week as a rental. It was a base model and its Lane Keep performed way better than my Lexus.

Yeah so my dilemma is that I do not want to experience anything close to that with a dealer 70 miles away one way. Appreciate your response.It is helpful as I decide whether or not to flip it while it is still worth about 70% of what I paid for it.
Old 02-18-19, 10:51 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Assuming that's the closest Lexus dealer to you?
Old 02-18-19, 11:15 AM
pbelle
10th Gear

Yeah. And I thought about that when I bought it. I just felt with a Lexus it would not be much of an issue.
Old 02-18-19, 03:20 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbelle
Yeah. And I thought about that when I bought it. I just felt with a Lexus it would not be much of an issue.
I also own a 2016 Mitsubishi. Other than several recalls (I did not notice any problem), I could not find any issue to visit the dealership. I never thought my Lexus could have more problems than my Mitsubishi, which is always near the bottom of any quality rating lists. And from this forum, mine is not the only RX that has those issues.

But fortunately I have a local Lexus dealer. For bigger work, they always provide me a rental, RX or NX. And Lexus' waiting room is far more comfortable than Mitsubishi's waiting area.
Old 03-06-19, 02:31 PM
jlarami
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hit 1000 miles on my 2019 RX350, picked up at Atlantic Lexus, Farmingdale NY, in January.
This is my 9th Lexus, the first being a '90 ES250 I've had an original IS250, an HS250, 3 ES350s, and 2 ES300h.
Along the way, my wife and I have also had a few MBs, and a first year BMW X1 that rattled worse than a british sports car !....
As you would expect, the dealer experience with all of these brands has been excellent.

Overall, I really like the size, comfort, ride and handling, and very low noise level.
I do have a couple of "issues" with the Rx that I didn't expect from a Lexus;
1. Vibration in the seats and steering wheel, when in gear at idle. I find this very annoying.
2. Vibration in the steering wheel when under way between 40 - 65.
3. The constant hunting of the transmission under light acceleration..
4. When cruise is engaged, to slow down the RX, the transmission often shifts down, pushing the RPM above 4000.
5. Bridgestone tires. I've never had a Lexus with Bridgestone, but this one does.... I prefer Michelin, and believe that the Bridgestones degrade ride and increase noise, but have no point of reference. Guess I'm stuck with them for now .....
6. Fuel economy; I'm a conservative driver, and cannot average more than 18.4 to date.... I'm having buyers regret because I didn't get the hybrid !
The following users liked this post:
rx300mm (03-26-19)
Old 03-07-19, 09:00 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jlarami
I do have a couple of "issues" with the Rx that I didn't expect from a Lexus;
1. Vibration in the seats and steering wheel, when in gear at idle. I find this very annoying.
I have this too. But some people on this board claimed it was normal. When my cheap Mitsubishi is smoother than my Lexus, I know it is not normal.

Last edited by guxu; 03-07-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 08:33 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Just did a two-year service. They changed the oil and brake fluid (not sure why). I complained the noise and vibration again and asked if they could change engine mount but they refused.

However, after this service, I swear my RX350 becomes noticeable smoother. While taking off, the gear stays in low gear longer than before. The noise is still there but the vibration is much better. It could be my imagination or it is because of the warmer weather.
Old 03-26-19, 09:34 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
Just did a two-year service. They changed the oil and brake fluid (not sure why). I complained the noise and vibration again and asked if they could change engine mount but they refused.

However, after this service, I swear my RX350 becomes noticeable smoother. While taking off, the gear stays in low gear longer than before. The noise is still there but the vibration is much better. It could be my imagination or it is because of the warmer weather.
Or the reprogrammed your transmission ECU.

They did mine after 1 year and it became smoother...
Old 03-28-19, 09:58 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

My issue with our RX is, it's simply to damn boring to drive. I'm just glad this isn't my DD but my wife's. She loves it so all that matters in the end but once in a while I get to drive it just out of convenience ( happens to be in driveway, in my way, parked in front, picking up my son etc..) but man the RX is a snoozer Zzzzz. No personality, no fun, no handling, no driving characteristics of any, no steering wheel input, no road feedback,etc. The luxurious cabin interior is what saves this SUV and honestly I get why this is Lexus #1 seller. 99.9% of these buyers don't care about everything I just mentioned, they just want that plush Lexus living room couch on wheels feel. Even the F-Sport variant was slightly and I mean slightly better but outside of throttle response and slight quicker shifts the ride was virtually the same; boring. Truth be told I couldn't drive one of these everyday as my DD as I would go crazy. But hey to teach is his own and although my wife loves it, I couldn't care less for it...the driving experience anyway.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 03-28-19 at 10:18 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-28-19, 12:43 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
My issue with our RX is, it's simply to damn boring to drive. I'm just glad this isn't my DD but my wife's. She loves it so all that matters in the end but once in a while I get to drive it just out of convenience ( happens to be in driveway, in my way, parked in front, picking up my son etc..) but man the RX is a snoozer Zzzzz. No personality, no fun, no handling, no driving characteristics of any, no steering wheel input, no road feedback,etc. The luxurious cabin interior is what saves this SUV and honestly I get why this is Lexus #1 seller. 99.9% of these buyers don't care about everything I just mentioned, they just want that plush Lexus living room couch on wheels feel. Even the F-Sport variant was slightly and I mean slightly better but outside of throttle response and slight quicker shifts the ride was virtually the same; boring. Truth be told I couldn't drive one of these everyday as my DD as I would go crazy. But hey to teach is his own and although my wife loves it, I couldn't care less for it...the driving experience anyway.
It's only an issue if you bought it with the expectations that you're driving a sports car. Did you expect differently? Did you go in thinking you'd get a fast SUV given the weight, HP/Torque, size, and FWD bias?

Quick Reply: Issue(s) You Are Having on 4th Gen RX350