RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gray area in panoramic view monitor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 01:34 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Our screens are showing a 2D view of a 3D image. Recall that a flat map of
the Earth shows the continents but the oceans are carved up into curved triangles.
Old 08-21-17, 02:54 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

whole point of front camera is to see past a barrier to your right or left side (building, car)

Like when you are turning and there is a car in front of you so you can't see if there is a car, so you can look at the wide fish eye lens to see. That's why they put a grey bar in the middle. Also, you can still see through the grey bar, it's just faded.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (08-22-17)
Old 12-16-17, 01:33 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Panoramic View "Blind Spot"

Not sure what the deal is with the dark trapezoid spot.
I get that those 4 corners are actually blind spots, but why tint the front view? I can see what's behind the tint and don't see any explanation of it in the manual.

mssca (12-17-17)
Old 12-16-17, 04:40 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I see. Question answered.
I guess Lexus won't remove it for us.
Old 12-17-17, 11:21 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have that blacked out area as well. I asked the delivery/sales guy just before I drove off the lot, and they can't explain it either. I guess unlike other manufactures, it is a "feature" added by Lexus
Old 01-23-18, 04:38 PM
soholexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front camera view has blockage

I noticed when I watched the videos of the RX 350 on Youtube, there is always that black triangular shape in the middle of the front camera view. Why is that there? Seems awkward that you cannot see the entire front view. Also, where is the front camera located? If there is snow/dirt built up on the front camera, is it easy to clean? (note that I am not an RX350 owner....not yet at least)
Old 01-23-18, 04:53 PM
mssca
Driver

Basically Lexus dosen't want you to drive the vehicle using just camera. That's what comes down to ultimately. The blacked out portion is not covered by any camera (it is kind of covered), hence the black triangle.
I have come across few posts on this here.
Old 01-23-18, 05:18 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
The blacked out portion is not covered by any camera (it is kind of covered), hence the black triangle.
I have come across few posts on this here.
That's untrue as I pulled into my garage, after increasing the monitor brightness, and the triangle area is greyed-out, but the camera sees everything as you can see through the triangle. The triangle is likely also there to clearly delineate that the view is the front camera view, and not the rear camera. Personally, I think it sucks as many other vehicles with 360 camera systems do not have this tomfoolery. I wish it gone and I'd like to be able to have the Lexus Service Department do so.
Old 01-23-18, 05:32 PM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
That's untrue as I pulled into my garage, after increasing the monitor brightness, and the triangle area is greyed-out, but the camera sees everything as you can see through the triangle. The triangle is likely also there to clearly delineate that the view is the front camera view, and not the rear camera. Personally, I think it sucks as many other vehicles with 360 camera systems do not have this tomfoolery. I wish it gone and I'd like to be able to have the Lexus Service Department do so.
The Lexus manual state that the area is not covered by the camera; "not captured by the cameras". May be it is like fish-eyed lens or something so that area may be highly distorted.
Old 01-23-18, 05:32 PM
soholexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly think it is a dumb thing for Lexus to do that. Maybe I'll wait till they remove this before I jump in a get an RX350.
Old 01-23-18, 05:35 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mssca
The Lexus manual state that the area is not covered by the camera; "not captured by the cameras". May be it is like fish-eyed lens or something so that area may be highly distorted.
I can assure you that it is covered by the camera, and then literally covered-up with the dumb added triangle too.
kentuckyed (02-03-21)
Old 01-23-18, 05:38 PM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
I can assure you that it is covered by the camera, and then literally covered-up with the dumb added triangle too.
I agree with you. I can see the same thing on my RX as well. But according Lexus, it is not covered. Kind of funny... I know, but that's what the official version they came up with at Lexus.
Old 01-24-18, 12:26 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Since this is still being discussed, I thought I would share some info from TIS (Technical information system). For those that don't know, TIS is accessible by dealers and provides more in depth explanations, wiring diagrams, etc. Basically it's the bible for technicians.

The following 3 users liked this post by offroad200:
mcomer (01-26-18), mssca (01-24-18), SoCalRX (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 01:47 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

"(4) Masking: Since the lens of the front television camera assembly may affect the perceived distance to objects in certain areas of the image, masking is used."

Well, there's some seriously flawed logic in the above statement which would mean that the remaining three cameras should have masking as well as they are all distorted regarding distance too. Dumb.
Old 01-24-18, 03:30 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by soholexus
I honestly think it is a dumb thing for Lexus to do that. Maybe I'll wait till they remove this before I jump in a get an RX350.
Your loss, seems like a minor thing, since it only shows up at low speed or parked.

Quick Reply: Gray area in panoramic view monitor