RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gray area in panoramic view monitor

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 11:22 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Here is what I received from Lexus...

Thank you for your recent correspondence in regards to your 2016 RX 350. We appreciate being given the chance to review this matter further.

The black bar that appears intermittently on your navigation screen is a safety feature, and part of the design of the vehicle. Since the camera uses wide angle lens, the distance to objects in the masked area is difficult to perceive correctly. Thus, the bar acts as a mask to avoid luring the driver into a false sense of distance. It is, therefore, always the recommendation of Lexus Canada to never drive while looking only at the screen as the images can be different from actual road conditions
Old 08-09-17, 03:21 PM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Panoramic View Monitor on 2017 RX F-Sport

I am not sure if this has been covered already but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to remove what I'm assuming is part of the F-Sport grill (highlighted in green) from obstructing my view when using the panoramic view monitor. This is on a 2017 RX350 F-Sport. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Gray area in panoramic view monitor-panoramic-view-monitor.jpg  

Last edited by DMVRX350F; 08-09-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 03:26 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

That isn't part of the grille. If stare at it, you can see through it. I believe it's a safety thing Lexus put on the car so that people don't drive using only the front camera. There isn't a way to get rid of it.
Old 08-09-17, 03:27 PM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? That sounds really ridiculous. It's such an eye sore....
The following users liked this post:
satnav (08-11-17)
Old 08-10-17, 09:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Here is what I received from Lexus...

Thank you for your recent correspondence in regards to your 2016 RX 350. We appreciate being given the chance to review this matter further.

The black bar that appears intermittently on your navigation screen is a safety feature, and part of the design of the vehicle. Since the camera uses wide angle lens, the distance to objects in the masked area is difficult to perceive correctly. Thus, the bar acts as a mask to avoid luring the driver into a false sense of distance. It is, therefore, always the recommendation of Lexus Canada to never drive while looking only at the screen as the images can be different from actual road conditions
The above is the truth! Been on all my Lexus for a while now. Not that big of an issue!
Old 08-17-17, 01:23 PM
Wolftorres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Lexus placed that wedge there for safety reasons. For example, I've noticed that it covers the license plate of the vehicle in front of you. Maybe Lexus doesn't want us writing down license plates while driving
Old 08-17-17, 02:18 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 363 Posts

I don't know about you, but I would write the plate number of the car in front of me by just looking through windshield, not the monitor. 😀😀😀😀
Old 08-21-17, 10:56 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Going to my past about why the shaded gray area inhibits the value of the panoramic camera. Here is shot I could take safely. Represents the same example I made earlier of trying to make a left turn with oncoming traffic going straight and also making a turn.

While I would not have used the camera to negotiate the turn. I could have used the camera to see if there is any oncoming vehicles approaching. in this case it is blocked by the gray shaded area. To be bad I can't see whats coming around the bend... thanks Lexus!

Old 08-21-17, 11:53 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

It is deliberately blacked out to keep people like you from using to drive with.

IF it were not there you know people would be tempted.
Old 08-21-17, 12:02 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
It is deliberately blacked out to keep people like you from using to drive with.

IF it were not there you know people would be tempted.
Yes I know, but its annoying that Lexus/Toyota plays parent. I understand if its an industry standard matter, but other car makers don't do that. I was in a co workers new Merc recently and it even had gridlines for the front.
Old 08-21-17, 12:10 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satnav
Yes I know, but its annoying that Lexus/Toyota plays parent. I understand if its an industry standard matter, but other car makers don't do that. I was in a co workers new Merc recently and it even had gridlines for the front.
It is embarrassing the our government does it too, but you know if they did not . . . . .there are so many good things about the RX, something like this is not worth ruining the experience of ownership!
satnav (08-21-17)
Old 08-21-17, 12:12 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

While I would not have used the camera to negotiate the turn. I could have used the camera to see if there is any oncoming vehicles approaching.
That's what the windshield is for. I trust my own vision and looking out the windshield before a camera. Shading part of the camera is to deter you from using it to drive, and assists in parking.
Old 08-21-17, 12:19 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastFord
That's what the windshield is for. I trust my own vision and looking out the windshield before a camera. Shading part of the camera is to deter you from using it to drive, and assists in parking.
As stated the camera is not designed to be used for driving. I would trust the camera in certain circumstances. Such as exiting a parking structure to the pedestrian walkway and the side view is obstructed. As the front camera is forward of the windshield it provides an earlier view of certain angles than the drivers point of view from the windshield. Such as in the picture. The shaded area would provide a view of obstacles prior to those coming into view of the windshield.
Old 08-21-17, 12:20 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
It is embarrassing the our government does it too, but you know if they did not . . . . .there are so many good things about the RX, something like this is not worth ruining the experience of ownership!
yes I agree. Very happy with the RX so many pluses. Just a few small annoyances. I would buy mine again, it’s my 3rd Lexus. Had Audi before great care, but overtime the reliability and electronic gremlins were a nightmare. Not to much horrible dealer experience.
Old 08-21-17, 12:32 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

yes I agree. Very happy with the RX so many pluses. Just a few small annoyances. I would buy mine again, it’s my 3rd Lexus. Had Audi before great care, but overtime the reliability and electronic gremlins were a nightmare. Not to much horrible dealer experience.
I like the way they look but neighbor had one and it was snake bite for sure.

Hard to beat Lexus for dependability.
satnav (08-21-17)

Quick Reply: Gray area in panoramic view monitor