RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gray area in panoramic view monitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 07:47 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
"(4) Masking: Since the lens of the front television camera assembly may affect the perceived distance to objects in certain areas of the image, masking is used."

Well, there's some seriously flawed logic in the above statement which would mean that the remaining three cameras should have masking as well as they are all distorted regarding distance too. Dumb.
I wouldn't be concerned about the the side cameras but the rear camera is only slightly distorted - take a look, you can see the rear bumper as a nearly straight line compared to the front camera which shows the spoiler lip or in my case the licence plate going up at a 60 degree angle on both sides of the image. It's a very wide view. The camera is seeing the greyed out area, Lexus just feels that it may be distracting/confusing as you edge forward because the centre area will be further away and suddenly you'll be much closer or hitting the front.
Old 01-24-18, 08:41 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I wouldn't be concerned about the the side cameras but the rear camera is only slightly distorted - take a look, you can see the rear bumper as a nearly straight line compared to the front camera which shows the spoiler lip or in my case the license plate going up at a 60 degree angle on both sides of the image. It's a very wide view. The camera is seeing the greyed out area, Lexus just feels that it may be distracting/confusing as you edge forward because the centre area will be further away and suddenly you'll be much closer or hitting the front.
For some reason the front camera "masked" area just reads "lawyer" to me. Maybe Betty Sue ran over an overeager welcoming Fido whilst mistakingly thinking she was viewing the front camera versus the back camera? Thus, a deceased Fido? Who knows? I just think for this category of vehicle ownership that there would be a better means of distinguishing the front camera—without such an intrusive and distracting fashion—that could have sufficed quite nicely while providing more viewing area.
Old 02-16-18, 12:25 PM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front facing camera .

I think SoCalRx hit the nail on the head. If Lexus didn't block that area and some IDIOT tried to drive by camera alone, like in the James Bond movie and many others, or like a pilot flying by IFR, and then had an accident, the lawyers would have a field day. It's self preservation by Lexus. Anybody over 10 years old can remember things that are no longer available, because of lawyers. Lawyers are ruining countless aspects of our society by bring rediculous law suits. Like hot coffee in her lap at a McDonalds drive through. That cost McDonalds millions. Or many cases of burglars, or their families, suing the homeowner that had the nerve to shoot a masked and armed stranger in their bedroom in the middle of the night. If you want more evidence of the predatory lawyers, look at all the rediculous warning labels on everything. Page after page of warnings and precautions in the owners manuals for even the most basic things. Q-tips. "Don't sick these in your ear." Why do you think that warning is there? Some moron stuck one in his ear too far and hurt himself (herself). And then some scumbag lawyer sued and cost the manufacturer millions of dollars. But you can't blame the lawyers entirely. It is the judges fault. For not throwing the rediculous law suits out of court and refusing to hear them. They enable, in fact facilitate, the lawyers money grubbing, accident chasing, defendant destroying, reason be damned, actions. The judges are protecting their own. Who are the judges? They are former lawyers. But I digress. Let me get off this soapbox.

Everybody is missing the point of the front (end rear) view cameras. Everybody can see what is 20 feet in front of or behind your car. But you can't see what is 1 foot from your bumper. Front or rear. The cameras are to prevent you from driving over the toddler sitting in front of your bumper. How many stories have there been about a mother backing up over, and killing, a small kid behind their car in their driveway. The cameras are there to help us and protect us from doing stupid things. And the grey patch is also to protect some of us doing even more stupid things.

P.S. Watch now some lawyer or judge is going to take offense at my comments. Well there is nothing in the Constitution that gives you the right to not be offended by somebody else exercising their rights.
Old 02-20-19, 03:32 AM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Why does our camera have this black line in the middle? Is there a reason for it?​​​​​​​

Old 02-20-19, 09:49 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Had nothing better to do so i quickly read thru this post because i remember thinking about this myself. Nobody seems to have come up with the official definitive answer. And/or Lexus is don't ask don't tell on this. I noticed one day when i was parallel parked on a street with no cars in front of me and no cars in back that the front view and rear view at a quick glance looked reasonable similar. ie without the bar there, you couldn't tell in a split second whether or not you were looking forward or backward. Of course that's not the normal situation but it can occur. So my conclusion was that its done to make it immediately obvious within a super split second, more than obvious, which camera you are looking at, (without your brain doing any additional processing). Even though the camera should only show in the way your drive direction is set, what if somehow the video came in reversed, or what if you were confused and though you were going backwards and liked the view and hit the gas, but you were really in drive and lurched forward. I never thought about some goofball eating a goldfish, seeing how many of him and his friends could fit in a phone booth and then went off driving by the camera. But I could now see that as part of the consideration also. (I was young once).
The following users liked this post:
BensonTT (02-20-19)
Old 02-22-19, 08:52 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DyaDya
Had nothing better to do so i quickly read thru this post because i remember thinking about this myself. Nobody seems to have come up with the official definitive answer. And/or Lexus is don't ask don't tell on this. I noticed one day when i was parallel parked on a street with no cars in front of me and no cars in back that the front view and rear view at a quick glance looked reasonable similar. ie without the bar there, you couldn't tell in a split second whether or not you were looking forward or backward. Of course that's not the normal situation but it can occur. So my conclusion was that its done to make it immediately obvious within a super split second, more than obvious, which camera you are looking at, (without your brain doing any additional processing). Even though the camera should only show in the way your drive direction is set, what if somehow the video came in reversed, or what if you were confused and though you were going backwards and liked the view and hit the gas, but you were really in drive and lurched forward. I never thought about some goofball eating a goldfish, seeing how many of him and his friends could fit in a phone booth and then went off driving by the camera. But I could now see that as part of the consideration also. (I was young once).
I think if you put the car in reverse, it will show the backup camera, not the front camera.

When the car in D or other drive gear, it will show the front camera.

Not sure why it would get confused.

The reason that they blacked it out because that area does not reflect the actual distance with the car in front. On the screen, the car in front will look much further away than where it actually is. Similar to passenger-side mirror, there is always a warning (however, they can't black out the mirror haha). To prevent lawsuit and accident from this "far illusion", toyota/lexus black out that area of the front camera.
Old 02-24-19, 12:53 PM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
I think if you put the car in reverse, it will show the backup camera, not the front camera.

When the car in D or other drive gear, it will show the front camera.

Not sure why it would get confused.

The reason that they blacked it out because that area does not reflect the actual distance with the car in front. On the screen, the car in front will look much further away than where it actually is. Similar to passenger-side mirror, there is always a warning (however, they can't black out the mirror haha). To prevent lawsuit and accident from this "far illusion", toyota/lexus black out that area of the front camera.
Jut happened to be at the dealer to yesterday looking at another car for the wife and was talking to a new guy and remembered to ask this question. His response was, (and this is probably in previous comments and maybe implied in yours), that the picture is a composite from the cameras on side mirrors and not the camera in the front of the car. (And they of course miss the middle.) (still not sure why is not using the front camera). In any event i will accept that the dark triangle is for technical reasons but im happy to say that i at least invented an equation that fit the real world, (fake reasons haha). but on the confusion I was mostly talking about is human confusion which i notice in myself more and more, (go figure...as i set off for the sunset). That the wrong picture actually shows up seems extremely unlikely, but who know with people fiddling under the hood or maybe something scarier like a software bug.
Old 02-03-21, 09:50 AM
brianzx7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all those saying it is because Lexus doesn't want you driving via the camera has missed one critical point that negates that thought. The camera turns off automatically at around 7 MPH so the danger of that being an issue is irrelevant.

There is no physical reason that the greyed area exists. It is masked via software and someone that has the technical skills could probably find a way of removing it.

The bottom line is, who cares why Lexus put it there, we would just like the option of removing it.

~B

Last edited by brianzx7; 02-03-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-03-21, 10:58 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DyaDya
Jut happened to be at the dealer to yesterday looking at another car for the wife and was talking to a new guy and remembered to ask this question. His response was, (and this is probably in previous comments and maybe implied in yours), that the picture is a composite from the cameras on side mirrors and not the camera in the front of the car. (And they of course miss the middle.) (still not sure why is not using the front camera).
I am always amazed how people make stuff up when they do not have the answer, knowing it is easily verified to be false. The times we live in! Just say you do not know...

These are fish eye lenses, so it will look distorted. The side cameras are under the side mirrors and have no line of sight to the front. Given the image, you can verify it is the actual front camera by pacing your hand in front of it. It is just blacked out by software. Probably some lawyer told they could get sued if someone got into an accident for driving at low speeds while using it to navigate and misjudged the distance. In reality, they could compensate for the fish eye distortion, but it is too much of a liability...
Old 11-12-21, 12:36 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 360 Camera View Question

Our new 2022 RX has the 360 camera option . Can someone tell me what the intent of the darkened area of the upper center of the screen for the front camera, is? The area is mostly opaque, and you can just make out an image of what is directly in front of you. It shows in the pictures in the manual, so it must be by design, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why.
Old 11-12-21, 12:43 PM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

From previous threads, most folks speculate that it was blacked out so an idiotic driver wouldn’t try to drive by looking at the screen alone. In other words, lawyers made them do it. (Factoring in that the camera can be configured to be “on” whenever the vehicle speed drops below about 6 mph)
ravenuer (11-12-21)
Old 11-12-21, 01:21 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PhxBill
From previous threads, most folks speculate that it was blacked out so an idiotic driver wouldn’t try to drive by looking at the screen alone. In other words, lawyers made them do it. (Factoring in that the camera can be configured to be “on” whenever the vehicle speed drops below about 6 mph)
Thanks for the fast response. Guess Lexus does not use the same law firm as Mercedes! I read your response to my wife and she said, "What idiot would drive just using the camera? But then, what idiot would hold a cup of hot McDonald's coffee between their legs and drive?" The world is not lacking for crazy people!!!!!! Thanks again for the response.
Old 11-12-21, 03:10 PM
coolbrazz
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
Thanks for the fast response. Guess Lexus does not use the same law firm as Mercedes! I read your response to my wife and she said, "What idiot would drive just using the camera? But then, what idiot would hold a cup of hot McDonald's coffee between their legs and drive?" The world is not lacking for crazy people!!!!!! Thanks again for the response.
Or following the onboard navigation directions into a lake. Where are the lawyers for those folks.
wa3cuj (11-12-21)
Old 06-22-22, 02:01 PM
VATOM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2022 Front Camera Question

Is the dark area at the top center of the display of the forward facing camera normal? 2022 RX350L
Old 06-22-22, 02:16 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes it is.
VATOM (06-23-22)

Quick Reply: Gray area in panoramic view monitor