RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mudguards for RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 03:43 PM
siwel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicnguye
It looks like it could add more drag to the car. I have read online that you could lose up to 1MPG with the mudguards installed.
Huh.... never thought of that. Given their position behind the wheels, I wouldn't expect a lot of additional drag, but it's logical that it would create some. Probably not enough to matter/notice.
Old 04-12-16, 07:07 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol.....drag from mudflaps doing 30mph around town. Let's get serious folks. Next we'll be talking about drafting behind 18 wheelers to save mpg. ��
Old 04-14-16, 01:37 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
Lol.....drag from mudflaps doing 30mph around town. Let's get serious folks. Next we'll be talking about drafting behind 18 wheelers to save mpg. ��
hahaha so true
Old 07-21-16, 09:08 AM
emildzheb
Driver School Candidate

do you have to take wheels off
Old 07-21-16, 04:24 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by emildzheb
do you have to take wheels off
no! move it left and right to access the fronts.

there is a tutorial on it
Old 07-22-16, 09:31 AM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I think I'm the minority here, because whenever I buy my new car, I always ask the dealer to take off the mugs guard, or minus the mug guard price if they don't take it off, then I drive home and take them off my car first thing myself. For me the mugs guard just ruin the look of any car. I had to buy a few cars and now my garage still have all of them brand new mugs guard.
Old 08-01-16, 05:19 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

I've searched online but can someone provide a link to the installation pdf. The prior pages are too small to read....big thanks in advance
Old 03-17-17, 09:36 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
I've searched online but can someone provide a link to the installation pdf. The prior pages are too small to read....big thanks in advance
Here you go:

http://www.lexus-tech.eu/aimuploads/..._003_578_1.pdf
The following 4 users liked this post by andreys:
aznkorboi (03-17-17), llcw79 (08-13-18), QualityNut (09-25-21), SoCalRX (12-27-17)
Old 07-02-17, 09:58 AM
ksc321
Driver School Candidate

did anyone with running boards have to take them off to install the mud guards?
Old 11-12-17, 07:17 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ksc321
did anyone with running boards have to take them off to install the mud guards?
I have the running boards and today installed the mud guards on '17 RX350. No need to dismount the running boards, it's a lot of work if you decide to. Instead, you can modify the installation of the front flaps. You will need to remove one bolt most forward or front of the running board and then follow the entire preps of drilling the three holes on the wheel well. And then continue to drill on the 4th hole at the bottom of the flare (Fig 4-2). This will be tight and need to pull it out as much as you can without breaking it. Make sure you conduct a dry fit of the flap to ascertain the hole and then install the spring clip. Install the flap and screw for this particular mount (even before you start on the wheel well. Tighten it while making sure the flap is seated properly. Note: With running boards installed, mounting "D" (fig. 4-2) is covered as soon as you push back in the flare. So you want to install this mounting screw before you push or tuck in back the flare.

Thereafter, install the spacer at the wheel well and then push back in the flare (with the flap already half way installed) to the fender. With holes aligned, screw in the wheel well. And then the last bottom screw. Replace the running board bolt and you are done.

Another option is to not install the screw on the designated letter "D" mounting (Fig. 4-2 of the installation instruction) and instead just use double sided VHB tape. This will be a lot easier.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (12-27-17)
Old 11-15-17, 08:25 AM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had them on when I bought it
Old 01-05-18, 01:34 PM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got these installed took about 1.5hrs. Just follow the PDF instruction provided in this thread but had to examine it a few times as the illustration and orientation is a bit confusing. For the rear make sure you have a tool with a small clearance for phillips screw. Attached a few pictures below, good luck and have fun.

Ratcheting Phillips
Drilling
Front fender
Complete
The following 2 users liked this post by kvtram:
Philly01 (05-29-19), RaiderHawk (01-21-19)
Old 01-05-18, 03:10 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mud guards add a nice aesthetic detail. Does the black on aftermarket mud guards clash with the black around the wheel well?
Old 01-05-18, 03:36 PM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by minusplus
The mud guards add a nice aesthetic detail. Does the black on aftermarket mud guards clash with the black around the wheel well?
Can't comment on aftermarket mud guards but these match the wheel well 100%. Might be my phone camera or lighting but car is only 1 month old and parked in garage.
Mud guard P/N
The following users liked this post:
QualityNut (09-25-21)
Old 01-11-18, 04:07 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

can you please post pics of the running boards and the mud flaps together i did the running boards few weeks after getting my rx. just want to get a visual idea what both look like like together.

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
I have the running boards and today installed the mud guards on '17 RX350. No need to dismount the running boards, it's a lot of work if you decide to. Instead, you can modify the installation of the front flaps. You will need to remove one bolt most forward or front of the running board and then follow the entire preps of drilling the three holes on the wheel well. And then continue to drill on the 4th hole at the bottom of the flare (Fig 4-2). This will be tight and need to pull it out as much as you can without breaking it. Make sure you conduct a dry fit of the flap to ascertain the hole and then install the spring clip. Install the flap and screw for this particular mount (even before you start on the wheel well. Tighten it while making sure the flap is seated properly. Note: With running boards installed, mounting "D" (fig. 4-2) is covered as soon as you push back in the flare. So you want to install this mounting screw before you push or tuck in back the flare.

Thereafter, install the spacer at the wheel well and then push back in the flare (with the flap already half way installed) to the fender. With holes aligned, screw in the wheel well. And then the last bottom screw. Replace the running board bolt and you are done.

Another option is to not install the screw on the designated letter "D" mounting (Fig. 4-2 of the installation instruction) and instead just use double sided VHB tape. This will be a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Mudguards for RX