RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tailgate Height

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 09:05 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tailgate Height

Can someone tell me the distance from ground to highest point of tailgate when open on 2016 rx?(standard size tires)
Thanks
RiWyle
Old 01-22-16, 11:30 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm guessing that you're worried about hitting something with the liftgate. The height of the power liftgate opening can be set/adjusted.
Old 01-23-16, 02:59 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I'm guessing that you're worried about hitting something with the liftgate. The height of the power liftgate opening can be set/adjusted.
Yes, my garage door. Thanks for the info. The height is not adjustable on my 06 400h, so Lexus did a good thing w/ the '16.( and maybe earlier)
Old 01-25-16, 02:11 PM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

When I first opened the hatch in my garage, it looked like it was going to smash into the garage door (which was open, over head) so I grabbed it to stop it. I then programmed it to stop at that height. After bumping my head into to it several times later, I realized I could have it open another 8" without it hitting my garage door. The dealer told me how to reset the height:
1) power open the hatch.
2) manually push the hatch to its highest opening.
3) push the close button, and push it a 2nd time when it lowers to the height you want, and then program that height.

He also said there is a setting on the dash screen (not nav screen) to set the height from 1 to 5. It is by the tire pressure readings.
Old 01-25-16, 06:51 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What was not clear to me about the height adjustment is that it can be set to exactly the height you want. In other words, you are not limited to the 5 settings on the screen.

1. Open the liftgate. Let it stop.
2. Manually position it to the height you desire.
3. Hold down the close button for several seconds until you hear a beep sequence.
Old 01-26-16, 05:57 PM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2016RX came with the liftgate at the highest position. The funny thing is, the highest setting on the 5 preset positions isn't even close to the highest position you can set it manually. The only way you can get that is by opening it, then pushing it all the way, and holding the button for a few seconds (it beeps 4 times).

Another interesting observation: the touch-free hatch opener is totally useless. The only way I can get it to trigger is having my hand within a centimeter of the Lexus icon on the back, *with my keys in my hand*. It's so finicky that I usually have to tap it lightly. Which is totally stupid, because I can just push the button right underneath, with the keys in my pocket. Or just push the trunk button on the remote
Old 01-27-16, 09:40 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Talys1767
Another interesting observation: the touch-free hatch opener is totally useless. The only way I can get it to trigger is having my hand within a centimeter of the Lexus icon on the back, *with my keys in my hand*. It's so finicky that I usually have to tap it lightly. Which is totally stupid, because I can just push the button right underneath, with the keys in my pocket. Or just push the trunk button on the remote
I also cant get that touch free feature to work reliably. Before I read the manual, I was making the mistake of leaving my hand over the L logo. You have to move your hand away after you see the lights flash or hear the beep. The door wont open if your hand is in the way.

That said, there are many times when it doesnt seem to recognize i am standing there. Hopefully, this can be fixed with a software update. I'll mention it to the service adviser when i bring it in for the first service. But of course, it will work perfectly for the tech.
Old 01-27-16, 09:52 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Practice will make perfect. The Logo wave works great once you learn it, use your hand, elbow
forehead.. As mentioned above you must move away when it chirps, it won't try to open when
someone is leaning on the hatch. BTW you must have the key with you.
Old 01-29-16, 10:55 AM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

It's a feature to open a door... one should not have to practice to use it Imagine if keyless entry required practice to open the front drivers side door... hehehehehe.

I actually don't have a problem once it chirps. I just can't make it chirp unless the key is literally in the hand over the logo, which makes it useless, because the keys are almost always in my pocket. I just don't know why the sensor for the button right under the logo can detect the key at that distance, but not the touch-free one.

But oh well; it's a novelty more than anything else. Actually pressing a button 3 inches away from the logo is not so onerous
Old 01-29-16, 10:59 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

It's a feature to open a door... one should not have to practice to use it Imagine if keyless entry required practice to open the front drivers side door... hehehehehe.

I actually don't have a problem once it chirps. I just can't make it chirp unless the key is literally in the hand over the logo, which makes it useless, because the keys are almost always in my pocket. I just don't know why the sensor for the button right under the logo can detect the key at that distance, but not the touch-free one.

But oh well; it's a novelty more than anything else. Actually pressing a button 3 inches away from the logo is not so onerous
The touch-free feature on our RX works when I have the key in my pocket. Someone on another thread mentioned that you can adjust the sensitivity of the logo sensor.
Old 01-29-16, 11:06 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

You will need about 86" of clearance fully opened.
Old 01-29-16, 07:56 PM
roblim
Pole Position

The touch-free feature on our RX works when I have the key in my pocket. Someone on another thread mentioned that you can adjust the sensitivity of the logo sensor.
I don't believe that the sensitivity is adjustable, however, the setting is dealer adjustable to on or off. I read on that thread that it helps to stand directly behind the logo and not off to the side. That may be my problem.

Old 01-30-16, 03:34 PM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

You can actually turn that on/off yourself, in the configuration. use the little arrow pad to go to the gears on the left hand display, and I think it's under Vehicle, or some such. The same place you adjust the height using the console, instead of press-hold on the tailgate.
Old 01-30-16, 04:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

You can actually turn that on/off yourself, in the configuration. use the little arrow pad to go to the gears on the left hand display, and I think it's under Vehicle, or some such. The same place you adjust the height using the console, instead of press-hold on the tailgate.
You could...but press and hold seems easier and more customizable.
Old 01-31-16, 05:04 PM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

You could...but press and hold seems easier and more customizable.
Press and hold lets you set the height of the tailgate. If you want to disable/enable the touch-free, you have to go to the customization screen.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Height