RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone considering Jaguar F-PACE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 07:54 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

It looks great & sounds awesome. The price is higher than a loaded RX. I was interested, but there is no dealer within 200+ miles. Given Jag's questionable reliability, its a big fat NO for me.
Old 10-26-16, 08:33 PM
6shiftin
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default F-Pace

Yes I have a 2013 RX350 that I really do like a lot. I am not real happy that the new version is larger and potentially less nimble, but also apparently now has some drone/vibration issues at certain rpm's, transmission hesitation and A/C gurgling noise problems that Lexus collectively seems to be slow in reacting to. I do like the aggressive RX 350 new exterior look, including the big grille, so this is not the problem.

I am looking to change my vehicle in spring 2017, but if I had to choose right now I would switch to a 2017 Jaguar R-Sport despite its less certain long term quality experience.

Lexus, pay attention to what a previously satisfied customer is saying and address the issues that are ongoing with the 2016/2017 models.

Last edited by 6shiftin; 10-27-16 at 01:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-27-16, 01:15 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure if I would buy one, but I do think it looks great...
Old 11-14-17, 12:45 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut1
I put down a $500 deposit and waiting to see/drive one of these before I make my decision. I just want to leave my options open between 2016 RX and F-pace. I'm sure they might be cutting some corners (or selling aggressively with low margins) as the XF is priced higher than F-pace.
I know this thread is a bit stale, curious if you had gotten the F Pace?

I am about a year left on my RX350 and its left me a little unimpressed. Seems like F Pace has ironed out the early wrinkles (like the RX) and owners seem to like it. This could be serious contender for my next vehicle.
Old 11-14-17, 05:44 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

We (wife and I) had it in our eye before looking at the RX.

STILL my only regret so far is not getting the hybrid model. But I love my Lexus.
Old 11-15-17, 04:02 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Jaguar has improved with reliability over the last few years. J D Power ranks them 10th. My barometer however is they have not been #1 for six straight years. Icing on the cake, we are the third least expensive to maintain. I find it humorous that some spend all this money on expensive cars and then are constantly having something needing repair. The same for maintenance. I guess BMW and Mercedes assumes if your willing to over pay for their cars than you are willing to over pay for maintenance. Good friend of mine bought one several years ago. After a lot of frustration sold it. He really regretted not getting the tow truck option.

Last edited by Freds430; 11-15-17 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-15-17, 05:50 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I went to see an S model back in April / May and I found it to be a little too tight inside compared to our previous 15 RX..When compared to the 4RX it is much tighter especially in the back seats.. The interior was no big deal, I think the 4RX interior is nicer but IMO the exterior looks great, that alone almost made me buy it, and then when you throw in the 380HP engine it was very tempting. .

However, after giving it some thought and doing more research we passed on it. Maybe there is one in the future when and if they get the bugs worked out, especially with the Incontrol Multi Media interface.
Old 11-15-17, 08:17 AM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in April, I bought 2017 Jaguar F-Type and picked it up about a week later. At the same time we needed an SUV so my wife thought we should try the F-pace as well. We went back to the dealership and they had an F-pace S with a V6 and supercharged 380hp for us to test drive. After driving it for a few minutes I felt it's not what we need as an everyday SUV, thevride seemd harsh and the interior felt cheap and very utilitarian. Now I love my F-type and I think it's the best looking and sounding sports car out there and serves its purpose. I didn't want an SUV that shoots like a bullet at the expense of comfort and luxury. Next day we went to the next door lexus dealer and picked an RX 350 F sport and couldn't be happier.
My 2 cents..

have a nice day.
Old 11-15-17, 08:59 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
Jaguar has improved with reliability over the last few years. J D Power ranks them 10th. My barometer however is they have not been #1 for six straight years. Icing on the cake, we are the third least expensive to maintain. I find it humorous that some spend all this money on expensive cars and then are constantly having something needing repair.
The haters on the Jag has their mind stuck in the 1990s or whatever. Yes, the F Pace doesn't have reliability history, so there is some mystery. The warranty/maint. seems to be one of the most generous out there. The only knock I can think of is that it has the same parent as Range Rover which isn't very reliable....then again they don't share the same parts as RR. People boast about Lexus bullet proof reliability, I have taken my 16RX twice for warranty work....one job took over a week to fix. Perhaps the 2017 or 2018 is far better in terms of reliability. One thing for sure is RX has very high resale value verses the F Pace
Old 11-15-17, 09:03 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jagnut
We went back to the dealership and they had an F-pace S with a V6 and supercharged 380hp for us to test drive. After driving it for a few minutes I felt it's not what we need as an everyday SUV, thevride seemd harsh and the interior felt cheap and very utilitarian.
did you test drive the 22 inch wheels or 20 inch? I read the reviews that the 22 can be a bit harsh. Funny, I was initially worried my RX on 20s would be harsh....that thought went away quickly.
Old 11-15-17, 12:06 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
The haters on the Jag has their mind stuck in the 1990s or whatever. Yes, the F Pace doesn't have reliability history, so there is some mystery. The warranty/maint. seems to be one of the most generous out there. The only knock I can think of is that it has the same parent as Range Rover which isn't very reliable....then again they don't share the same parts as RR. People boast about Lexus bullet proof reliability, I have taken my 16RX twice for warranty work....one job took over a week to fix. Perhaps the 2017 or 2018 is far better in terms of reliability. One thing for sure is RX has very high resale value verses the F Pace
Not hatred just the FACTS. I am referring to two independent sources. Driven by Lexus's over a half of a million miles and not had one thing go wrong.
Old 11-15-17, 02:21 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I’m not a lover or a hater on the Jag. Clearly, they are doing something right, because I’m seeing more & more here in my area & the closest Jag dealer is about 225 miles away. The closest Lexus dealer is just under 200 miles away. I’m a little dissapointed with the RX, but only minor things. It’s better than any other car we’ve had in the last 10 years. If my RX were to be suddenly totaled or stolen, I would look at the Jag, but they cost a LOT more than what I paid for the Lexus.
Old 11-16-17, 07:49 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
Driven by Lexus's over a half of a million miles and not had one thing go wrong.
Those are the Lexus of the old. My dad old LS is still running strong. I had a 1990 Camry that pushed 350k on the odo.....Since those golden era, Toyota's quality have slipped a little and their demographic is getting older. Competitors have caught up quite a bit.

All these latest and greatest electronics/senors is becoming expensive to fix. My 2016RX rear hatch door had to be totally replaced. The man hours to take apart the rear sensor and put it back together was staggering.
Old 11-16-17, 08:11 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Those are the Lexus of the old. My dad old LS is still running strong. I had a 1990 Camry that pushed 350k on the odo.....Since those golden era, Toyota's quality have slipped a little and their demographic is getting older. Competitors have caught up quite a bit.

All these latest and greatest electronics/senors is becoming expensive to fix. My 2016RX rear hatch door had to be totally replaced. The man hours to take apart the rear sensor and put it back together was staggering.
We all want the latest gizmos/technology in our cars so be prepared when they break and they will at some point. This ain't your father's Oldsmobile. The Rocket 350 in my '73 Cutlass was a beast
Old 11-16-17, 05:30 PM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you test drive the 22 inch wheels or 20 inch? I read the reviews that the 22 can be a bit harsh. Funny, I was initially worried my RX on 20s would be harsh....that thought went away quickly.

It had the 20s same as the RX. The ride wasn't even close to the RX. I'm not a jaguar hater, I love my f-type👍

Quick Reply: Anyone considering Jaguar F-PACE?