RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rolling down windows using remote control key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 08:50 AM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you set up the power window option / without going to the dealer - can you do it at home?
Without purchasing Carista? I don't really bring my car in for anything as my brother is a Mechanic so he does my oil changes, breaks etc, so that I don't have to waste time on the 5,000 and 10,000 mile mark, etc
Old 02-28-16, 09:30 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Lions81
Can you set up the power window option / without going to the dealer - can you do it at home?
Without purchasing Carista? I don't really bring my car in for anything as my brother is a Mechanic so he does my oil changes, breaks etc, so that I don't have to waste time on the 5,000 and 10,000 mile mark, etc
You are an "interesting" Lexus owner...you don't want the free Enform stuff and insist to turn them off, and now you don't want to go to the dealer for the free maintanence at 5K and 10K miles...

But no, you can't adjust this setting without going to the dealer or using something similar to Carista.
Old 02-28-16, 10:01 AM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
You are an "interesting" Lexus owner...you don't want the free Enform stuff and insist to turn them off, and now you don't want to go to the dealer for the free maintanence at 5K and 10K miles...

But no, you can't adjust this setting without going to the dealer or using something similar to Carista.
My last Vehicle I brought in on both the 5 and 10k, but then I have to get there super early, get a loaner car to go to work, then come back the next morning to pick it up - it's just inconvenient. If they were next door to my house, that's awesome - but for me to go so far out of the way it's ridiculous when I can just have my brother do it. - Don't know what's interesting about it.

And as far as enform I don't use it, I don't need it and the one time I did need there "SOS" Service 2 years ago in the winter, they told me assistance would be there in an hour, then in an hour became two hours, and after two hours they "enform" informed me that No one is coming - so screw there bs "enform" you want more complaints about this system here are a few more the two times I tried using destination assist with the new vehicle they sent me to the wrong place - what the heck is that? Here is another one - my wife was driving with my kid in the car two years back and the destination assist voice came on out of no where - she never pressed the button and it freaked her out - what if she would have swerved and caused an accident? + if I take the car and I want to go to the mall to surprise her with a gift - it wouldnt be a surprise because she could look at the phone and tell that I have been at the mall - maybe your not married so it's interesting to you - but for me I am good with out it. - Since my lexus ownership is so interesting for you - I gave you detailed information behind it
So perhaps instead of stalking people on this forum or judging them you can simply answer, if you know the answer thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by Lions81:
BrenFinn (08-21-18), JCES300H (01-02-20)
Old 02-28-16, 11:24 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Lions81
My last Vehicle I brought in on both the 5 and 10k, but then I have to get there super early, get a loaner car to go to work, then come back the next morning to pick it up - it's just inconvenient. If they were next door to my house, that's awesome - but for me to go so far out of the way it's ridiculous when I can just have my brother do it. - Don't know what's interesting about it.

And as far as enform I don't use it, I don't need it and the one time I did need there "SOS" Service 2 years ago in the winter, they told me assistance would be there in an hour, then in an hour became two hours, and after two hours they "enform" informed me that No one is coming - so screw there bs "enform" you want more complaints about this system here are a few more the two times I tried using destination assist with the new vehicle they sent me to the wrong place - what the heck is that? Here is another one - my wife was driving with my kid in the car two years back and the destination assist voice came on out of no where - she never pressed the button and it freaked her out - what if she would have swerved and caused an accident? + if I take the car and I want to go to the mall to surprise her with a gift - it wouldnt be a surprise because she could look at the phone and tell that I have been at the mall - maybe your not married so it's interesting to you - but for me I am good with out it. - Since my lexus ownership is so interesting for you - I gave you detailed information behind it
So perhaps instead of stalking people on this forum or judging them you can simply answer, if you know the answer thanks
Not stalking...just saw you raise up some weird topics recently. I did answer your post if you weren't so busy defending your "interesting" and almost paranoid ways...

Idk about the dealers in NY, but some of the ones here are open on the weekend and some even go to the house with a truck to do services. Might inquire to see if they have that.

Last edited by dchar; 02-28-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-28-16, 12:15 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Idk about the dealers in NY, but some of the ones here are open on the weekend and some even go to the house with a truck to do services. Might inquire to see if they have that.
I have not inquired regarding the RX, but on the GS, no one was willing to come to my house, if I got it from a local dealer then maybe, but my dealer is over 50 miles out of the way. I know we can go to any dealership for service, but doubt another dealership would go out of there way for me, since I got the car else where.

Just annoying going there, waiting there, getting a loaner, and then having to spend around $80 on tolls from, just to get basic service.
But I will find out, if they come to the house - I will gladly have them do that.
Old 03-08-18, 11:11 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Can this be done using TechStream? I have a friend that has the obdII usb tech stream cable and wanted to see if this could be done using that, along with other features that only "dealers" can do?

On our Merc I was able to unlock MANY features that only the dealer could do using STAR/DAS which is Mercedes specific software for the car. Hoping TechStream is the same with Lexus...

-Nigel
Old 03-09-18, 01:47 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Can this be done using TechStream? I have a friend that has the obdII usb tech stream cable and wanted to see if this could be done using that, along with other features that only "dealers" can do?

On our Merc I was able to unlock MANY features that only the dealer could do using STAR/DAS which is Mercedes specific software for the car. Hoping TechStream is the same with Lexus...

-Nigel

I think you can use TechStream or Carista. I've read other threads similar to this.
Old 03-28-18, 02:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
the tech who turned this on for me claims Lexus had this functionality turned on from the factory in the past, but a lot of customers didn't like it so they turned it off for this generation of car
I definitely did not like this feature on our LS. We were sitting by the hotel pool and the LS was parked nearby and I noticed the windows were oddly down. Skies were overcast and thank goodness it didn't start to rain and good thing we didn't have anything of value inside the car. I quickly realized one of the key fob buttons must have been inadvertently held down while in my pants pocket. My mechanic offers to make personalized setting changes for free anytime. I didn't want to keep bothering him so I purchased the Bluetooth OBDII scanner and Carista app that others also suggested and fiddled with all the settings in my own time. It appears you can't roll up the windows with the keyfob though. Using the manual key (that's embedded in the keyfob) will allow you to roll down all windows, or even roll them all up too, by turning the key either right or left in the door lock and holding that position for a second or two.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (03-29-18)
Old 03-28-18, 06:17 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Dicking around with the key would seem like a pita.
for the app, what subscription did you do, just a short term, or year? Have an obd2, haven't unlocked the app yet. Thanks.
Old 03-28-18, 07:37 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
Dicking around with the key would seem like a pita.
for the app, what subscription did you do, just a short term, or year? Have an obd2, haven't unlocked the app yet. Thanks.
Agreed, it would be a hassle to use the manual key. I don't bother trying to operate the windows with the key or fob, just merely pointing out the feature difference between the physical key versus key fob.

I went with the $40 annual subscription for Carista. I believe there is a trial period too but I can't recall if it locked out any settings.
Old 03-29-18, 01:22 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Oh, i just had this done to my 2018 IS 350 F Sport during my 5K service.

Dealership made me sign some sort of disclaimer that i acknowledge the risks of doing this like leaving the windows open when it rains, etc...
Old 03-29-18, 06:59 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts
Arrow

Just did this today using techstream on my wife's NX. Silly how it wasn't enabled. Also changed some other settings on the car. Techstream is freaking awesome once you get the drivers/software working. I am a tad dissapointed I can't roll windows up using the lock button.

I also found a function that I hope I can test out after our free year of enform runs out. I think by default they have the NX to not remote start because I saw that feature was off... Makes me wonder if most of the newer lexus models are like that so they force you into a subscription service to remote start the car.... I know this isn't the NX forum but per the screen shots below would anyone have any idea what that actually means via Communication Remote Engine Starter = OFF by default? I enabled this feature so in a year once enform is done I want to see if I can remote start the vehicle with the fob.

-Nigel
Marqevans (03-29-18)
Old 03-31-18, 05:15 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
So, this just happened today to my car

2016 Lexus RX 350 roll down windows with remote control - YouTube

This cannot be programmed yourself with the car. The dealer must use their scan tool to customize setting for you.
I live in a warm summer climate and I think this is one of the best features of the car.

My 18 RX350L did not have the feature turned on.
I called Lexus and was told that the dealer could turn it on.
I asked why it wasn't standard and was told that some people had complained about the feature.
The issue is that a key might get accidentally pushed on and have the car sitting locked with windows down.

That never happened to me, and I'll get it changed.
Old 05-02-18, 07:30 PM
Rxlady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roll down feature gone in 2018?

I loved the window roll down feature in all my past Rx’s. (2003, 2009, 2012 and 2015). Was great on a hot day to be able to cool the car off without waiting for the ac to do it’s thing. I just tried it with my 2018 and nothing happened! Neighbors prob thought I was crazy because I kept locking and unlocking the doors in the driveway. I used to be able to just press and hold the unlock button on the fob to make it work. Did they do away with it?
Old 05-02-18, 08:13 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 73 Posts

It's available, but configured OFF from the factory (at least on the 2017 models). The dealership can turn this feature on for you.
Rxlady (05-04-18)

Quick Reply: Rolling down windows using remote control key fob