RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Illuminated Door Sills and Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 04:06 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

can you post pics of these slight imperfections. mine fit just like the non-illuminated sills.

Originally Posted by javapro
I finally got my illuminated door sills and they look great in the dark, however, I am not too happy about the quality of the black plastic finish. Both the driver and passenger side ones seems to have slight imperfections on the black plastic finish on the curved side that borders the carpet. It seems like it's because of various protrusions on the underside of plastic and both pieces have thse imperfections in exactly the same spot. It's not too obvious but noticeable if one looks closer. The original non-illuminated door sills don't have this. Anyone noticed something similar on their IDSs?
Old 04-04-18, 04:38 AM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonaV
can you post pics of these slight imperfections. mine fit just like the non-illuminated sills.
Mine fit well as well. I was referring to the plastic finish. See attached.

Old 04-04-18, 03:19 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure what i'm looking at here. are those stretch marks?
Old 04-04-18, 07:07 PM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by DaytonaV
not sure what i'm looking at here. are those stretch marks?
As I said in my original post it seems like it's because of various protrusions on the underside of plastic that manifest themselves on the outside finish. It's not terrible but visible and I can feel it with my hand. It's just that I expect a $240 accessory to be of a better quality.
Old 04-11-18, 10:01 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by javapro
As I said in my original post it seems like it's because of various protrusions on the underside of plastic that manifest themselves on the outside finish. It's not terrible but visible and I can feel it with my hand. It's just that I expect a $240 accessory to be of a better quality.
Got a replacement from www.lexuspartsnow.com (that's where I ordered originally) and they are even worse. These small imperfections are almost all over the side of the sill closest to the carpet on both pieces. They definitely smell and look new so I don't think it's lexuspartsnow.com's fault. I guess it's the fact that they are made in Mexico. Just wondering if anyone has IDSs that are not made in Mexico?
Old 05-23-18, 09:37 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Illuminated door sills question ...

Has anyone installed the illuminated door sill on the 4th generation RX 350? If so, is it fairly easy to do? Also, I don't seem to find any illuminated door sills for the back doors, just the front doors. Is this only available for the front 2 doors?
Old 05-23-18, 10:00 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-dash-cam.html

in case you didnt see this - it was done for the front - i havent seen anything for the rear doors
Old 05-24-18, 09:46 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by YWW
Has anyone installed the illuminated door sill on the 4th generation RX 350? If so, is it fairly easy to do? Also, I don't seem to find any illuminated door sills for the back doors, just the front doors. Is this only available for the front 2 doors?
Yes, it is relatively easy to install - just make sure to pull hard on the existing door sills as some of the plastic clips holding them have a pretty tight fit. Lexus only makes illuminated door sills for the front doors.
Old 05-24-18, 12:14 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Lower plastics on cars are treated with the least effort to make them perfect. I wouldn't sweat it. You can always paint them =)

As far as dashcams, I've been using my mobius for five years across a few cars. for about $150 or so--but requires hard wiring. not hard!
Old 10-01-18, 09:16 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Question Lexus Ghost Lights and Illuminated Door Sills

Originally Posted by SCRXOwner
Went with the Lexus Ghost Lights and Illuminated Door Sills thanks to this thread. The Sills can be found at a nice discount. 15 minute swap out for door Sills. Both look great on the 2017 RX. My friends told me to quit advertising for Lexus with the “lights”.

Thank you for the details of installation.
Our local Lexus dealer says Lexus doesn't make Ghost Lights (puddle lights with Lexus logo). Lexus only has the illuminated door sill but only two colors are available -- black or beige (light tan) and no dark brown. May I ask where you got your Lexus Ghost Lights? Thanks.
Old 10-10-18, 11:48 AM
My442
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Illuminated Door Sills....NICE

Bought a set of illuminated door sills for our new 2018 RX 350.

Literally took about 1 minute per side to install.

Look and function great.

Highly recommended!
Old 10-10-18, 12:18 PM
critten
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where and what item? Sounds interesting.
Old 10-10-18, 12:38 PM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

At least post pics lol
Old 10-10-18, 12:53 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Plenty of pics here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-dash-cam.html

Merge?
Old 10-11-18, 10:40 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Arrow

Originally Posted by My442
Bought a set of illuminated door sills for our new 2018 RX 350.

Literally took about 1 minute per side to install.

Look and function great.

Highly recommended!
I just installed a set too this morning for our 2108 RX350. It took about 5 minutes each side to remove the old trim and install the illuminated trim because I checked and rechecked everything to make sure everything was done right and fitted properly. The "hardest" part was popping the old trim loose and snapping the new illuminated trim on to make sure everything lined up. No mechanical skills required for this job. I purchased the set from MyLparts.com for $234 ($260 list minus 10% discount for CL members and free shipping for items over $150) and no sales tax for outside California. Very happy with the illuminated sills and MyLparts. Illunimated door sill comes in either Black or Beige (dark brown).

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sills and Dash Cam