RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

navigation volume

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 12:45 AM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default navigation volume

I already set the navigation voice volume to the max (level 7) but it still is very low every time I use the navigation when I listen to radio with moderate volume. Is it just me or anyone has this problem too?
Old 01-09-16, 04:46 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have mine at default and it seemed pretty loud. I don't think that I have tried with the radio yrt, though I did try while listening to Pandora and that came across fairly loud.

There's an option for the radio to auto adjust/compensate sound when driving... Perhaps try that?
Old 01-09-16, 08:50 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Work around for this... the left steering wheel spoke button "Mode" switches AM to FM to Sat to CD etc. when pressed briefly. When you hold it longer it triggers Mute or Pause depending on the source.
When the Nav chimes and/or begins speaking just press the Mode button long and mute your music.
If you then press the center console button "Map/Voice" she will repeat the instruction...repress Mode
and resume your entertainment.
Old 01-09-16, 12:19 PM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Work around for this... the left steering wheel spoke button "Mode" switches AM to FM to Sat to CD etc. when pressed briefly. When you hold it longer it triggers Mute or Pause depending on the source.
When the Nav chimes and/or begins speaking just press the Mode button long and mute your music.
If you then press the center console button "Map/Voice" she will repeat the instruction...repress Mode
and resume your entertainment.
Awesome tip Mcomer. I learn tons from this forum.
Old 01-10-16, 02:42 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I turn my volume all the way down and just use the visual cues.
Old 01-10-16, 08:04 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Agree. Doubt very few have done this, or ever will, but should at least give it a try. Much more pleasant driving experience IMO using visual rather than he or she Nav person interrupting conversation or music, and nagging you when to turn, or have a fit if you don't turn. We have done visual only on our 2010, current 2013 and any day now 2016 RX's. Would have had 2016 already, but changed color choice and dealer at the last minute. Used to use volume back in the day of small portable GPS, but not needed with the large visual NAV screens of today, and especially the 2016's 12.3 inch. Also HUD nice for those who have it.
Old 01-10-16, 10:35 AM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Originally Posted by go3Ds
Agree. Doubt very few have done this, or ever will, but should at least give it a try. Much more pleasant driving experience IMO using visual rather than he or she Nav person interrupting conversation or music, and nagging you when to turn, or have a fit if you don't turn. We have done visual only on our 2010, current 2013 and any day now 2016 RX's. Would have had 2016 already, but changed color choice and dealer at the last minute. Used to use volume back in the day of small portable GPS, but not needed with the large visual NAV screens of today, and especially the 2016's 12.3 inch. Also HUD nice for those who have it.
I do agree that the drive could be more pleasent if no voice guidance interrupts. However, I think I personally would still prefer the voice to prompt me for directions because I can picture myself missing the direction if I look at the screen "at the wrong time"..I mean, how do you know when to look at the screen if you don't know how to get to the destination in the first place?
Old 01-10-16, 01:00 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kenforum
I do agree that the drive could be more pleasent if no voice guidance interrupts. However, I think I personally would still prefer the voice to prompt me for directions because I can picture myself missing the direction if I look at the screen "at the wrong time"..I mean, how do you know when to look at the screen if you don't know how to get to the destination in the first place?
I will zoom the screen out a little bit and you will see when to start paying attention well ahead of time. Has not been a problem but everyone is different. We called the voice Mrs Cleaver from Leave it to Beaver. Depending on how old you are you might need to Google Leave it to Beaver.

Having choice is good.
Old 11-29-16, 10:00 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
I have mine at default and it seemed pretty loud. I don't think that I have tried with the radio yrt, though I did try while listening to Pandora and that came across fairly loud.

There's an option for the radio to auto adjust/compensate sound when driving... Perhaps try that?
How do I adjust radio to mute when navigation voice is active or to compensate with higher volume?

My previous Acura would lower the volume of the radio when the navigation voice activated. Generally, I prefer to have the voice off, but when driving through a new area for the first time, it is good to hear the voice so I do not miss a turn. Ideally when setting a destination, it would be good to have the option of setting the voice on or off for that route.
Old 11-29-16, 10:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

lexnewbi, check mcomer's instructions in post #3. Lexus for some reason dropped automatic muting of the stereo when navigation is active. It's been that way since the 3rd gen RX came out in 2009. The 2RX used to do it. And it had a tone before giving directions that reminded me of a flight attendant making an announcement.
Old 12-07-16, 07:23 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah Lexus went a bit backwards here i feel. i came from a 2010 and I had the option to have the Navi Speaker come from the Left or Center speaker. From the left speaker it would reduce the volume of music playing from that speaker so it was very clear. No idea why lexus removed this.

Also BMW, Audi, Merc also reduce audio volume in settings when the voice is speaking.... another strange Lexus quirk that they missed that would had $0 to implement...
Old 03-22-17, 05:59 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this is old, but I noticed the nav volume is loud on the 2016 RX loaner I had recently. I think maybe the standard audio has louder nav voice then the ones with Mark Levinson.
Old 08-14-22, 07:07 PM
kenrxlexus
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Lexus - New 2022 RX 450hL

New to Lexus!! Just purchased a new RX 450hL Luxury (2 days ago!) with most all available options, Cloudburst Gray with Caramel interior. We absolutely love the vehicle, the ride is smoothhhh. averaging 32.4 MPG on the first 200 miles. The vehicle seems smaller than it is and handles with unexpected tight steering, which I like.

I have a couple of questions that have come up in adjusting various settings and would request an expert's response, if possible.......
1) Voice directions when using navigation -- Is there a setting to MUTE audio, when navigation voice directions are announced? It seems that the navigation voice directions (and probably any voice direction) would trigger an audio MUTE. All other vehicles I have owned would do this. Also, how do I adjust voice direction volume? In my prior vehicles, I would simply turn up the volume as the voice direction is given. Not so with the RX.
2) Is there a way to adjust the ambient light intensity? They seem very weak, for me at least. Would like them a little stronger.

Many thanks for your assistance!

Rgds
Ken
Old 08-15-22, 05:34 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 518 Likes on 370 Posts

I have answer your first question since i don't use the embedded navi.

The ambient lights can not be adjusted. Unfortunately they are extremely dim.
The following users liked this post:
kenrxlexus (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22, 09:00 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

1), it use to be in the settings, volume or voice or something similar, from the home screen.
The following users liked this post:
kenrxlexus (08-15-22)

Quick Reply: navigation volume