RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 04:16 PM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
It is too bad that Lexus doesn't seem to be inclined to use the same pricing for pre-2018 vehicles.

For $80/year, I would likely renew the subscription for my 2017 ES even though I only very rarely am inclined to use the remote start or any of the other Enform services. But, with such infrequent use, I can't justify a cost of $240/year to renew the subscription.
I don't know the odds of success but you could always call Lexus and try and get them to give you the $80 deal. Throw out your customer loyalty at them and see what happens. Worst case you just get a no. I agree about the level of use but I have to admit it's hot here in Oklahoma and I have used it several times to cool the car before I get in. I just need to remember to do it more often.
Old 10-05-18, 04:20 PM
Ken62310
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForce8
I don't know the odds of success but you could always call Lexus and try and get them to give you the $80 deal. Throw out your customer loyalty at them and see what happens. Worst case you just get a no. I agree about the level of use but I have to admit it's hot here in Oklahoma and I have used it several times to cool the car before I get in. I just need to remember to do it more often.
that's pretty sucks if i have pay 240 a year.
$80 a year make more sense.
to be honest if I can use the fob to start the car ,i would be happy about that.
Old 10-06-18, 08:11 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken62310
that's pretty sucks if i have pay 240 a year.
$80 a year make more sense.
to be honest if I can use the fob to start the car ,i would be happy about that.
Cross the border into Canada and have he dealer install an original Lexus remote starter, quite reasonable in cost and it's a one time expense.
Old 10-06-18, 05:54 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ wait, so Canadian dealers have a OEM solution?
Old 10-07-18, 06:10 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
^ wait, so Canadian dealers have a OEM solution?
Yes they install a Lexus remote starter for around ca$450 if memory serves
Old 10-07-18, 07:35 AM
raysmd
Driver

I have a 2017 and if Lexus would agree to $80/yr then I'm a buyer. otherwise, I'll be looking for a remote starter after my 1 year is up

Originally Posted by AirForce8
Old 10-07-18, 07:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
I have a 2017 and if Lexus would agree to $80/yr then I'm a buyer. otherwise, I'll be looking for a remote starter after my 1 year is up
I believe they give it to you for TWO years. I have a 17 as well and 15 months later, I still have it.
Old 10-07-18, 09:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

The free Enform Remote subscription is only for 1 year. But, when Lexus made changes to its servers about a year and a half or two years ago, there were many problems, some of which made it impossible for many to even activate their Enform Remote accounts for a long period of time. So, Lexus offered a good will adjustment for many 2017 and 2018 vehicle owners, and that adjustment extended their Enform Remote subscription for an additional year to a total of 2 years, but the normal free Enform Remote subscription is still only 1 year. So, some did get a free 2 year subscription, but, for most, this was not the case. I'm not sure whether the additional free year was given to all who had subscriptions during that time period or whether it was only offered to those who had experienced problems.

Last edited by lesz; 10-07-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-16-19, 07:18 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeon
So let me get this straight, after a few days of researching I'm still slightly confused.

There are 3 possible options:

Option A: ADS-ALCA + USB Cable (Can be skipped if you get sellers to flash it, but you can't change options later) + Harness kit = $120. Factory remote start. Abysmal range, might as well walk the extra 10 seconds.

Option B: iDATAlink HC2 + harness + USB = $310. HC2 doesn't need the ALCA. 3 mile range. No LCD.

Option C: "The flagship" $60 ADS ALCA (need it to use aftermarket remote start systems) + $30 harness + $30 USB + remote start kit of your choice, in this case $350 Compustar T12 LCD remote kit + $60 Start it module + temperature probe = $540. Tilt sensor (car being towed), glass break sensor, and aftermarket alarm cost extra.

Is the HC2 compatible with any of the LCD remotes?

Anybody DIY with the ads-thr-tl7 harness kit? Did you have to modify any factory wires?

For Option A, I am not aware of any T-Harness available for the ADS AL-CA. You have to make direct soldered connections.
I just did a 2010 RX450H for a friend which is a very similar install to our GEN4 vehicles. GEN3 remote range isn't too bad.

Option B : I did this to my 2016 RX350 using the HC3 system. Only difference between the HC2 and the HC3 is the range
on the remotes. Back then it was 1 mile vs 3,000 feet. There is a T-Harness available for the HC unit which will eliminate
all hardwire connections if you don't need Idle Mode and HC Trunk release capabilities. If you want those features you must
make some hardwired connections to the car. I didn't use the T-Harness on my 2016, just made all the connections hardwired.

Option C : With this option, using the FT7200-s or FT7000 R/S controller, you can use the Blade AL instead of the ADS AL-CA
bypass module. Does the same function but makes the install neater because the Blade AL cartridge slides into the FT7xxx brain.
I don't believe there is a T-Harness available for the Compustar + Blade units. The ADS-THR-TL7 T-Harness is listed as
compatible with only the HC series units.

Here is a link to the compatable remotes :
https://www.idatalink.com/remotes/compatible-remotes
I'm not positive but the iDataStart TR2550A and TR2650A remotes might work with the HC series unit.

I imagine it would be possible to modify the heck out of the ADS-THR-TL7 and use the ADS AL-CA supplied harness kit to
create a Plug-N-Play T-Harness with the ADS AL-CA bypass module.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 11-17-19 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-17-19, 07:19 PM
raysmd
Driver

^ I see that you're in VA. If you get this working, then I would like to pick your brains. I'm in northern VA and would like to stop paying the Lexus enform prices.
Old 11-18-19, 05:35 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I got my Lexus RX-450H remote start installed at my local Toyota dealer. They have options starting at $199 and going up to about $450. My car now remote starts with 3 presses of the OEM key fob lock button or with either of the additional fobs supplied with the remote start. Range on those fobs is 1000' and one even displays the temperature inside the car. I usually install remote starts myself using pre-flashed units off of ebay with OEM compatible harnesses. With the remote start prices that the Toyota dealer offered me, no way am I going to mess with all that for this car!
Old 11-18-19, 05:55 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I got my Lexus RX-450H remote start installed at my local Toyota dealer. They have options starting at $199 and going up to about $450. My car now remote starts with 3 presses of the OEM key fob lock button or with either of the additional fobs supplied with the remote start. Range on those fobs is 1000' and one even displays the temperature inside the car. I usually install remote starts myself using pre-flashed units off of ebay with OEM compatible harnesses. With the remote start prices that the Toyota dealer offered me, no way am I going to mess with all that for this car!
is the extra remotes 2 way ?? (i am use to seeing single button add on option)

Aeon, sounds interesting, thanks for sharing your findings.
say do those systems let you also use your factory fob lock combo to remote start ??

thanks, since i have a 17 and not 18, the remote subscription cost me twice as much.
Old 11-18-19, 12:08 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

One of my extra remotes has a small LCD screen that displays the inside cabin temperature, confirms the remote start and lists the amount of run time left. I have mine set for 25 minutes run time.
Old 12-01-19, 07:11 AM
powerslave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they still requiring a subscription on the 2020s?
Old 04-09-20, 03:20 PM
curtind1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have confirmed that remote start from my keyfob works on my 2017 Lexus RX 350 Premium without an Enform subscription. See the below video. The press and hold the lock button takes four to five seconds.

How to Remote Start Any 2015 Lexus Using the Keyfob -
The following users liked this post:
thn3088 (04-10-20)

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!