RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 04:17 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,214 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
All newer cars do that. You can't take over the car without the killing the engine(when door opened) Older cars without PBS take over without killing eingine was
possible like open door put key in the ignition turn it to ignition on position, step on the brake. As far as I know there is no fix. I think it bacame like that to prevent
theft.
My 2016 Corvette stays started whether I used my phone or the remote and no matter which door I open, or the hatch... seems like it's a Lexus thing.
Originally Posted by kitlz
It's not an issue. The RX will turn off when the door handle is touched. That's been a common complaint since remote start was introduced on the 3RX. IMO it's not a big deal. I have to step on the brake pedal to get into gear. The start button is right there.
Thank you, I thought I read a poster earlier saying his car remained on. I must have misread.
Old 01-14-17, 04:43 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I would be very cautious with installing aftermarket starter. You have to splice into the cars wires which could void your factory warranty.

I had a Sienna years ago where the previous owner had aftermarket remote starter installed.

When I had issues with the tpms system the dealer said the car had the wiring modified and did not honor the factory warranty. The car was still under factory warranty period and mileage.
Old 01-16-17, 12:28 PM
Pam13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried this and does not work on my 2016 450H. renew my subscription to lexus enforme begrudgingly and that is not working either. Spent two hours on the phone Saturday and there customer service is pathetic. It takes up to 48 hours after they try to fix link with my car to find out if the fix worked or not. Pathetic and they are closed on MLK day so I can't call to complain until tomorrow.
Old 01-16-17, 12:44 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Pam13
Tried this and does not work on my 2016 450H. renew my subscription to lexus enforme begrudgingly and that is not working either. Spent two hours on the phone Saturday and there customer service is pathetic. It takes up to 48 hours after they try to fix link with my car to find out if the fix worked or not. Pathetic and they are closed on MLK day so I can't call to complain until tomorrow.
You can have DRON by iDATAlink and your smartphone charge for using it will be less than Enform charges.
Old 01-17-17, 10:10 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

There is no need for Lexus to kill the engine when the door is opened after remote starting to prevent theft! My 2012 Chevy and 2012 Nissan both stay running after the door is opened but you can't drive off with out having possession of the key! Simple and why doesn't Lexus do that? It's more convenient and saves wear and tear on the starter. Great for popping in and out of stores in the winter like for when your exiting the car just to return a movie or pickup an order.

All of the aftermarket starters I've purchased including the one for my RX 2015 come with wire harnesses that are plug and play and no splicing. No dealer flash needed. Never had a dealer issue with any aftermarket work I've done on a car, truck or Jeep. It's my car and I want to customize it without paying the dealer's outrageous parts and labor fees.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 10:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

gregjhonda, you can drive off without the key fob after starting the RX. We have a few stories of that happening in the 3RX forum. Turning off the engine when the door handle is touched helps prevent someone from being stranded. The truth is we don't know all the reasons Lexus configured remote start this way but it is what it is. If you're happy with aftermarket, that's great. Just keep in mind some towns have laws regarding unoccupied vehicles left idling. The convenience can come with a ticket.
The following users liked this post:
tomtom74 (01-22-17)
Old 01-18-17, 10:27 AM
smacker
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 RX350 Executive package. Really like the F-Sport front grill and paddle shifters but suspension is too rough and not a fan of the interior.
There's an accessory START+ Remote Engine Starter that can be added. Now here up north we don't have Enform yet it's coming next year apparently. But if I add this option, which comes with only one remote, I assume I can still start the car remotely when in range, and also would the regular fob be able to start it by pressing lock button 3 times?
Old 01-18-17, 12:20 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smacker
Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 RX350 Executive package. Really like the F-Sport front grill and paddle shifters but suspension is too rough and not a fan of the interior.
There's an accessory START+ Remote Engine Starter that can be added. Now here up north we don't have Enform yet it's coming next year apparently. But if I add this option, which comes with only one remote, I assume I can still start the car remotely when in range, and also would the regular fob be able to start it by pressing lock button 3 times?
If you want softer suspension non-F sports will have it, regarding using smart key fob for remote starting, the embedded receiver on the vehicle has SHORT range like
30 feet or so. If you don't mind such a short range yes, you can do that by clicking lock button 3 times; called KLON or lock-lock-lock remote start. Or if you install after
market stuff it can give few hundred to even a mile range which fob you choose. Two most favor installers ATM is iDATAlink HC-series, or Fortin EVO-One module.
which contains everything simplifying install with minimal wiring. I did it myself(my back is PE in electrical engineering, specializing in digital electronics, retired).
For me taking off dash panels without breaking took ~2 hours, actual wiring took only like 45 mins., LOL! works like charm. You can use smart key click lock button 3 times(getting shorter range) or after market fob for greater range. If you want to have one installed by a shop cost will vary being around 500.00(depends on what type fob you choose, 1 way or 2 way, range, LED display or LCD, etc.) I chose 2 2way 3000 feet rnage LED fobs. I am in Calgary, driving '15 RX Hybrid but I may trade it in for more space(7 seater) Looking at Audi Q7 Technik (will cost more $$ to maintain) or Toyota Highlander Limited hybrid. This thread is getting long on tooth, enough is enough.
Old 01-22-17, 09:00 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't tried the Lock-Lock-Lock method yet, but if you can start it with the fob, can you then turn it off with the fob?
Old 01-22-17, 09:13 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmtamu
I haven't tried the Lock-Lock-Lock method yet, but if you can start it with the fob, can you then turn it off with the fob?
Usually default run time is 15 mins.(you can adjust the lengthof time), if you want to to shut of just push the lock button 3 times(same as when you started)
Just remember OEM fob does not have good range, like 30 feet or so. If you want to increase range much more you havwe add optional RF kit with antenna and remote fob.
Old 02-02-17, 06:28 PM
depot90
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote Start with 2016 RX 350

Folks! I had my local stereo installers install a Viper 5704V security with remote start on my 16 RX 350. Works good. Only drawback is it does not work with the Lexus OEM keyfob. It starts the car but still turns the car off when you touch the door handle. Viper says its a safety feature since its a "PTS start system". Range is pretty good with just the key fob about a good mile on flat grounds. Yes, tested it too. Don't have Lexus Enform where I live. But this beats it. I can upgrade to Smart Start option too if I want but involves $100 yearly subscription to start it with my iPhone. But why? Key fob remote start is good enough. Just have to carry an extra key fob. OEM key fob still works too. Need it in proximity of the car or else it won't start.
Old 02-02-17, 07:49 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Just hit unlock and it will shut off.
Old 02-02-17, 08:13 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dchar
Just hit unlock and it will shut off.
I don't think so. Just hit lock-lock-lock same as you start the engine.
With Viper hold down the start button like 4 secs. or so, engine will shut off.
lock-lock-lock or the call it KLON. Try your Lexus smart key fob, is the range same?
I don't think it is.
Old 04-01-17, 01:50 PM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Remote start from key fob no longer works

Originally Posted by BobL27
Hi, I just joined this group after finding this Forum in a Google search for a remote starter for a 2016 Lexus RX 350. As soon as i found this, I ran over to my front door with the keyfob and tried it out. My door is only about 25 feet from my car, but it works fine. We still have a few months left on our 1 year free Enform subscription to confirm it still will work, but I feel it should (I hope) after the subscription is up for renewal. The price sheet the dealer gave me last week when we had the car in for service and asked about it is $250 a year for the plan that includes the remote start. I personally don't need to be able to start or unlock or check the vehicle's status from another part of the world, so I am so please it works from the keyfob. Door was already locked when I pressed the fob's lock button 3 times. second press was about a second after the first press, and the 3rd press I held down for about 5 or so seconds ( I did not really time it accurately. When i released the button after the 3rd press, the lights flashed several times and the engine started up. After I let it run for a few minutes, I repeated the same process and the engine shut off. The vehicle stayed locked the entire time; I did not go outside to see if the door unlocking from touching the handle would shut the engine off, but i will try it out another time, and update my findings. Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread, especially the OP! Bob

OK, So a couple of weeks ago, my free one year subscription to ENFORM expired, and I can confirm that the remote start function from the key fob no longer works. I don't often have a need to use the remote start, just once in a while, but I AM disappointed that Lexus would be so cheap to disable something that was working with the enform subscription, then disable it and not have anything to offer other than keep paying 350 bucks or so a year to be able to start your car without going outside. Like I said, I can live without it. Its just the principle of the thing. Even the dealership told me they agree with me but had nothing to offer. Oh well.

Thanks again, Bob

Shame on
Old 04-01-17, 02:30 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Agree, mine just stopped too after a year. Pretty *****ty. A stupid Chevy Cruze has a better remote start from factory and you don't have to pay for it year after year.

Originally Posted by BobL27
OK, So a couple of weeks ago, my free one year subscription to ENFORM expired, and I can confirm that the remote start function from the key fob no longer works. I don't often have a need to use the remote start, just once in a while, but I AM disappointed that Lexus would be so cheap to disable something that was working with the enform subscription, then disable it and not have anything to offer other than keep paying 350 bucks or so a year to be able to start your car without going outside. Like I said, I can live without it. Its just the principle of the thing. Even the dealership told me they agree with me but had nothing to offer. Oh well.

Thanks again, Bob

Shame on

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!