RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 01:42 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
In Japan, Lexus has the following RX option:

The issue is whether it will work with a US model as the software for their diagnostic device needs to have the ability to program it into your Lexus' firmware. Plus, there is the question of whether they have even provided the proper wiring and other points of connection in your model. This is not even listed on the Lexus USA website and I doubt a dealer will go out of their way to find out any specifics of it for you.
Thanks SoCalRX and Htony. I'm bringing in my RX for the 1 year/10,000 mile service and oil change in a few weeks. I think I'll first phone the 2 local Lexus dealers in my area and ask each's service manager if they can make this addition. After all, I am sure all the equipment needed should already be under the hood. Will report back.

SoCalRX, it's amusing to read above Lexus Japan's translation into English.
Old 01-03-18, 01:17 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by sderman
Thanks SoCalRX and Htony. I'm bringing in my RX for the 1 year/10,000 mile service and oil change in a few weeks. I think I'll first phone the 2 local Lexus dealers in my area and ask each's service manager if they can make this addition. After all, I am sure all the equipment needed should already be under the hood. Will report back.

SoCalRX, it's amusing to read above Lexus Japan's translation into English.
I spoke to the service folks at 2 different Lexus dealerships here in northern New Jersey. One said there was nothing they could do to add remote start via the fob (and also expressed a high level of disgust for the Enform system). The second said they will bring into their shop an outside guy who will do the fob (short distance, of course) remote install for $500.
Old 01-03-18, 01:29 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I spoke to the service folks at 2 different Lexus dealerships here in northern New Jersey. One said there was nothing they could do to add remote start via the fob (and also expressed a high level of disgust for the Enform system). The second said they will bring into their shop an outside guy who will do the fob (short distance, of course) remote install for $500.
This is really strange as the dealer where I bought my car does the installation whether you buy the remote starter with the new car or as a later installation. The starter doesn't come installed by the factory, but the vehicle is pre-wired for it and it's a very simple installation, so I'm told. It may have to do with the level of technical ability of the dealership's mechanics perhaps.
Old 01-03-18, 02:52 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cocal
This is really strange as the dealer where I bought my car does the installation whether you buy the remote starter with the new car or as a later installation. The starter doesn't come installed by the factory, but the vehicle is pre-wired for it and it's a very simple installation, so I'm told. It may have to do with the level of technical ability of the dealership's mechanics perhaps.
I think it's just a matter of the dealer being greedy. Since the Rx came with remote starting working for free via Enform for the first year then it seems all of the "equipment" necessary for remote starting without Enform is already there. I'm guessing that if you don't renew your subscription after the trial period that Lexus sends out a satellite message to disable the remote starter and other Enform features. One would assume that if you later decide to renew that Lexus could turn these features back on. It was mentioned above about installing a "T harness" to regain remote starting but I have no experience with that.
Old 01-03-18, 04:12 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ seems like if one were to disable the cellular connection to the enform service then the remote start would continue to work.
Old 01-03-18, 04:59 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
My back is in Electronics engineering, retired EE. Automotive mechanics very seldom are fully certified to deal with anything 12Volt automotive electronics. Many dealers farm out installation for such things as
stereo upgrade, remote starter install., after market rear view cameras, etc. There are many free lancing MECP guys(never saw a girl yet) roaming between dealerships. This guys hops around between many different dealerships, like Lexus, GM, Toyota, Honda, you name it. I know a young man going thru medical school working part time as MECP. When dealing with installing stuff, it is desirable to have it done by
MECP. Wiring by soldering is not the only way, one can use crimps, ,taps spliters, wire knots using proper tools, can be as good as soldering. The reason factory based remote always have poor range is it does not have an external antenna mounted on the inside of the windshield. By adding RF kit to brain(the remote control module) one can have good usable range. German cars are the most difficult one to have remote starter installed. Many installers don't want to work with it for the fear of blowing things up.
Old 01-03-18, 06:02 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by raysmd
^ seems like if one were to disable the cellular connection to the enform service then the remote start would continue to work.
My thought exactly! Perhaps we can wrap the car in aluminum foil...
Old 01-03-18, 06:16 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Htony
My back is in Electronics engineering, retired EE. Automotive mechanics very seldom are fully certified to deal with anything 12Volt automotive electronics. Many dealers farm out installation for such things as
stereo upgrade, remote starter install., after market rear view cameras, etc. There are many free lancing MECP guys(never saw a girl yet) roaming between dealerships. This guys hops around between many different dealerships, like Lexus, GM, Toyota, Honda, you name it. I know a young man going thru medical school working part time as MECP. When dealing with installing stuff, it is desirable to have it done by
MECP. Wiring by soldering is not the only way, one can use crimps, ,taps spliters, wire knots using proper tools, can be as good as soldering. The reason factory based remote always have poor range is it does not have an external antenna mounted on the inside of the windshield. By adding RF kit to brain(the remote control module) one can have good usable range. German cars are the most difficult one to have remote starter installed. Many installers don't want to work with it for the fear of blowing things up.
Thanks Htony: What do you think about raysmd's idea about interfering with the cellular/satellite connection from Enform so they cannot cut off our ability to remote start? After all it's our car and I'm pretty sure it's not illegal for us to play with our own electronics. BTW, I hear you about the various aftermarket/long distance type units. But for my humble needs, the short range fob option is fine, even preferred. I just will not, on principle, pay the $500 that one of our local Lexus dealers says it would take.
Old 01-03-18, 09:10 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks Htony: What do you think about raysmd's idea about interfering with the cellular/satellite connection from Enform so they cannot cut off our ability to remote start? After all it's our car and I'm pretty sure it's not illegal for us to play with our own electronics. BTW, I hear you about the various aftermarket/long distance type units. But for my humble needs, the short range fob option is fine, even preferred. I just will not, on principle, pay the $500 that one of our local Lexus dealers says it would take.
Here in Canada Lexus does not provide Enform service. Folks who wants remote start via cell phone can have after market one install, pay monthly subscription pay. I did not hear anyone complain about the service. One example of using this is when you are away out of town leaving the car at car park near the air port. On return trip, you can start the car ahead of time. In this case there is remote starter module and
another module connected to it which is cell signal receiver which are both interfaced. In the case of Enform, IMO, they disable both of this modules. Just to only enable remote strter module something has to be done by service dept. It could be simple jumper change, or issuing some hidden service command with Tech Stream. For you simple one to install is 3-lock module which is the size of a match box or some cars
it just needs T-harness. What it does is, when you push smart fob lock key 3 times engine will start, again if you push it again 3 times it will shut off. If you let run usually default setting is 15 minutes shut off.

www.12volt.com is a good place to ask around for reasonable price reputable module and ball park figure for installation. This type jo can be done in about 2 hours max by experienced installer. My favorite brand
is Fortin, or iDATALink. They are both located in Easter Canada. My family has only Toyota vehicle, 2017 4-Runner which I installed the remote starter. remaining 4 are all German. They made it VERY difficult to
install remote starter. I believe they are keeping their engine management software secret to public. I am not an expert by any means, just a hobbyist learning thing over the shoulder, LOL!
Old 01-04-18, 05:06 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 616 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
My guess is that they use the connection to verify you have a valid subscription. It would make little sense the other way around.
Old 01-04-18, 06:08 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

how long do you guys hold the 3rd lock command ?? tried it a few times and don't care for it. The other option is the phone app, wow is that slow and a interesting process. times out and doesn't get information from the vehicle. have only used that a few times too.
could just be me needing to get use to the way these work, i so miss a 2 way 2 button press and a few beeps later its running like my other vehicles.
Old 01-04-18, 06:24 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I think it's just a matter of the dealer being greedy. Since the Rx came with remote starting working for free via Enform for the first year then it seems all of the "equipment" necessary for remote starting without Enform is already there. I'm guessing that if you don't renew your subscription after the trial period that Lexus sends out a satellite message to disable the remote starter and other Enform features. One would assume that if you later decide to renew that Lexus could turn these features back on. It was mentioned above about installing a "T harness" to regain remote starting but I have no experience with that.
I think that we are talking about 2 different things doing the same function. Enform starts your car through a software application whereas here in Canada we don't have it so we must have a mechanical (for lack of a better word) one with its own signal reception. Through enform, I think, you tell the software in the car's computer to start the car, perhaps therein lies the difference.
Old 01-18-18, 08:56 AM
LFoster021
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Rx remote start

I have read there are ways to bypass the app and use the key fob to remote start. Can anyone tell me how to do this without the Enform App, if it is possible? My subscription just expired and I do not feel the yearly cost is worth it to renew. Using the app takes forever! Also, the fact that the engine shuts off when you open the door is the dumbest thing ever! WTH Lexus! It's currently 20 degrees in Houston and I really want to remote start my car!! Help!!
Old 01-19-18, 07:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
how long do you guys hold the 3rd lock command ?? tried it a few times and don't care for it. The other option is the phone app, wow is that slow and a interesting process. times out and doesn't get information from the vehicle. have only used that a few times too.
could just be me needing to get use to the way these work, i so miss a 2 way 2 button press and a few beeps later its running like my other vehicles.
phone app works well for me but I've never been able to get the fob remote start to work so I've given up on that.
Old 01-19-18, 07:17 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 616 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
phone app works well for me but I've never been able to get the fob remote start to work so I've given up on that.
You need to be standing within about 50' of the vehicle. You're not missing much!

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!