RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 05:34 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

The 6 speed was excellent. I certainly didn't get any better gas mileage with the new 8 speed. Why introduce two new gears if it's not really doing anything worthwhile and introduces all sorts of problems. I am lucky that I don't have the problems that some are still having, but the vague feel and running at 1200 rpms is something I would not buy again.

Lexus sends me surveys and questionnaires about this vehicle. I have stated in each one that I would not buy this car again, nor any other Lexus until this transmission issue has been completely resolved and has proven so for at least two years. Guess I might have to learn to like a CVT transmission as many other car manufacturers are having similar issues with their 8,9,10 speed transmissions.
Old 05-21-17, 06:43 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

This morning going to work I was on the highway doing approximately 60mph. I went to pass another vehicle and there was at least a 2 second delay before the downshift happened. That almost turned into to a dangerous situation. The TSB for the transmission was done but still did not correct the issue.
I absolutely hate this 8 speed transmission and would definitely not buy another.
Old 05-22-17, 06:39 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Completely understand and frustrated with this transmission... not sure why Lexus picked the 8 speed transmission without testing and fixing the hesitation issues completely... our old 2008 Honda Odyssey V6 with 5 speed tranny runs much much more smoother than this piece of junk.
Old 05-22-17, 11:32 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

posted this in the other thread with HUNDREDS of posts and complaints: Toyota's ceo just said he senses a crisis in the company, "I feel a strong sense of crisis about whether or not we are actually executing car-making from the perspective of the customer in all Toyota workplaces — from development production, procurement and sales, all the way to administrative divisions." In other words, he was saying that he thinks Toyota can simply do a better job at fulfilling its customers' needs and wants."

How about starting with these damn transmissions and noise + vibration issues. Start with communicating with your customers here and then fix the damn problems!
Old 05-23-17, 05:39 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Does anyone know if the 4RX uses the same trans as the 8 speed used in the 3RX F Sport?

I ask because we have a 2015 RX F Sport with the 8 speed, and while on occasion there is a slight hesitation/ lag when starting from a dead stop, in the 2 1/2 years of driving the 8 speed I have never experienced any type of delay when trying to pass another vehicle . So this makes me think that if they are the same transmissions maybe they are be programmed differently.
Old 05-23-17, 09:53 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JT4
Does anyone know if the 4RX uses the same trans as the 8 speed used in the 3RX F Sport?

I ask because we have a 2015 RX F Sport with the 8 speed, and while on occasion there is a slight hesitation/ lag when starting from a dead stop, in the 2 1/2 years of driving the 8 speed I have never experienced any type of delay when trying to pass another vehicle . So this makes me think that if they are the same transmissions maybe they are be programmed differently.
I think they are different, the new aisin 8 speed is also used in the Volvo XC90 which I havent read about any issues. Toyota has a controlling stake in this company so it's basically a toyota "part." I dont think it's a hardware/mechanical issue but a programming issue in the transmission and engine mapping. Similar phenomenon in the 9 speed that Honda and BMW use (ZF)...BMW, no problems, Honda Pilot/MDX terrible.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (05-24-17)
Old 05-23-17, 02:26 PM
mrmikeinga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delated Engagement in Eco/Standard Mode

I was wondering if anyone have the RX 350 Sport that have the drive mode settings for Eco, Standard/Eco, Sport and Sport+. To be honest I almost got get 3 times over the past 10 day when I started from a complete stop to cross over 2 lanes of traffic for a turn. When I pressed the pedal nothing happened, meaning no engagement with the transmission so I floored it and the engine red-lined (to mu surprised) and the car finally engagement and took off. 3 times something similar to this has happened. I then found myself switching to Sport mode every time I drive.

Has anyone experienced similar events? My personal opinion is I hate the Standard/Eco mode as there is not a smooth transition with the transmission gears. Too much bumps and down shifting just to get the car going. I was at the point yesterday to where I was looking at other cars just trade this in. I find driving the car horrible with the way the transmissions is. I truly hope it's a mechanical issues that can be addressed.

Any feed back would be great.

Thanks
Old 05-23-17, 02:32 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Hello. It's tuned so it's not so touchy on the throttle. IN eco mode, I found that it does it's best to keep it under 2,000 RPM's when shifting. Some users tested fuel economy differences and have found none.

There is a slight throttle lag in normal mode before accelerating quickly which I got over. Sport mode makes it much more instant which is nice but driving day to day makes it very jerky which is why I keep it on Normal.

You seem to be describing something else though. Pushing the accelerator down and nothing happening. For that, take it to the dealer.
Old 05-23-17, 02:53 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Check this thread regarding a TSB for transmission issues

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ost-159-a.html
Old 05-23-17, 06:36 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I agree totally, being more aggressive with the throttle yields better results. The irony here is that they put an 8 speed Auto to get an extra few MPG. Having to drive it harder to overcome the poor transmission characteristics defeats any extra MPG's. They should have just left the 6 speed in.
Completely agree. I end up being more aggressive until the vehicle has shifted into 3rd or 4th, then everything runs smoothly. Even with the TSB, I still have to do this to achieve a satisfactory smoothness. This also minimizes the vibration and droning issues.
Old 05-23-17, 06:51 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
The 6 speed was excellent. I certainly didn't get any better gas mileage with the new 8 speed. Why introduce two new gears if it's not really doing anything worthwhile and introduces all sorts of problems. I am lucky that I don't have the problems that some are still having, but the vague feel and running at 1200 rpms is something I would not buy again.

Lexus sends me surveys and questionnaires about this vehicle. I have stated in each one that I would not buy this car again, nor any other Lexus until this transmission issue has been completely resolved and has proven so for at least two years. Guess I might have to learn to like a CVT transmission as many other car manufacturers are having similar issues with their 8,9,10 speed transmissions.
Looks like all automakers are in the race to go to 8, 9 and 10speed transmissions, with mixed results. From what I've read, Honda/Acura added a ZF 9 speed with terrible shift characteristics (2 of the shift are known as dog shifts) into its lineup. Now a new Honda designed 10 speed is on the way. My cadillac 8speed seems to be extremely high ratio in 1st gear which is great for aggressive takeoff but has a harsh 1-2 shift feel. The other gears are excellent with no hunting at all. I discovered that the first 2gears were not even needed since I could start in 2 or 3 and still get pretty decent acceleration.

Question: in the RX can you start in 2 or 3 and can you manually shift gears? Does it help?
Old 05-23-17, 08:58 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrmikeinga
I was wondering if anyone have the RX 350 Sport that have the drive mode settings for Eco, Standard/Eco, Sport and Sport+. To be honest I almost got get 3 times over the past 10 day when I started from a complete stop to cross over 2 lanes of traffic for a turn. When I pressed the pedal nothing happened, meaning no engagement with the transmission so I floored it and the engine red-lined (to mu surprised) and the car finally engagement and took off. 3 times something similar to this has happened. I then found myself switching to Sport mode every time I drive.

Has anyone experienced similar events? My personal opinion is I hate the Standard/Eco mode as there is not a smooth transition with the transmission gears. Too much bumps and down shifting just to get the car going. I was at the point yesterday to where I was looking at other cars just trade this in. I find driving the car horrible with the way the transmissions is. I truly hope it's a mechanical issues that can be addressed.

Thanks
I think you're describing the worst phenomenon of this transmission. I notice this delay in shifting when rolling through a turn at very low speed, but then needing to suddenly accelerate...you're already in a high gear when you roll through because the car is trying so hard to upshift and save gas, but then the transmission is so delayed in downshifting, you end up pushing the pedal much more than normal, then BOOM, it downshifts multiple gears and you rocket forward but it freaks you out, so you ease up and then the car feels like it's a pogo stick and all your passengers think WTF do you know how to drive? Similar feeling to the herky jerkiness of someone learning to drive a manual and not modulating the clutch.
Old 05-24-17, 05:38 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmikeinga

Thanks
The TSB if installed properly should fix this. Perhaps you have something different. If you are starting from a stop hit the gas and nothing happens, sounds like you have a different problem. Eco mode is really slow to do anything. Sport + seems a little aggressive for everyday driving. When the tranny is set properly it is engaged 90% of the time. There are times that it still seems lost but it's better than before the TSB. Of course when/if you ask your dealer they will say that's how it's supposed to be. Point out the TSB and have them install or at least check to make sure your car has the most current fix.
Old 05-24-17, 09:28 AM
mrmikeinga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input. It's refreshing to see other people with the same or similar issue. I thought it was me and my car. I'll be asking my Lexus dealer when I bring it in next month but I assume the response will be just like some of you have mentioned "..It works the way it's supposed to work..." So what I did last night when I got home was was re-adjust drive customization settings. I don't remember the exact field names but I set the power train to powerful (was set normal) and the suspension to sport (was already set) and so far it seems to be driving much better, with good pick up and I don't see the "eco" light come on anymore which is great imo. If I end loosing or a mile or 2 per gallon it doesn't matter. So far I have only been getting around 16-17 MPG, same as I got in my Infiniti. When I ran in Sport mode for about a week, it seemed I was getting a little better gas mileage, around 18 when I filled up. Perhaps it's the way I drive and all I do is drive in city traffic, rarely highway. It surprised me but glad to see it. Until I read this forum I had no idea that the customization settings only activate when the drive mode is set to customization.

Hopefully this is helps address the issue. For the last 13 years I drove an Infiniti and those cars really take off once you tap the gas. Excellent acceleration. I never really appreciated how well my Infiniti performed until I got this Lexus. If this does correct the issue I know family members will be happy because all I've been doing is complaining since I bought this car a few months ago. The only good things I could say about it was it looks really good and the stereo sounds great.

On another note, while I'm here. I noticed the vinyl on the dashboard and the leather in general is very sensitive. Just by my son placing the his school book bag in front of him while sitting in the front seat and occasionally on top of the dashboard have left permanent scratch marks. Never experience such sensitivity before. Took it to Lexus to show them and they had their detail person work on it and no luck. Looks like I'm gonna have to have it repainted or whatever the detail person does to correct these issues. He said it would be about $75 to have it re-painted. Looks really bad though. It's a shame it's so sensitive. Now, I tell everyone who sits in the front be gentle when you touch anything or it will scratch.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-24-17, 11:25 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FastFord
The TSB if installed properly should fix this. Perhaps you have something different. If you are starting from a stop hit the gas and nothing happens, sounds like you have a different problem. Eco mode is really slow to do anything. Sport + seems a little aggressive for everyday driving. When the tranny is set properly it is engaged 90% of the time. There are times that it still seems lost but it's better than before the TSB. Of course when/if you ask your dealer they will say that's how it's supposed to be. Point out the TSB and have them install or at least check to make sure your car has the most current fix.
Doesnt hurt to try the TSB but it has also NOT worked for some, including me. Ive had it applied correctly and it's not a permanent fix, i consider the TSB a failure.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)