RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 02:56 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
I've had my RX350 fSport for 11 months and brought it in twice for the hesitation issues. They did a reflash in March of this year. They said they noticed the vehicle had a shift hesitation on acceleration when trying to pass another vehicle. I brought it back the next month b/c the fix didn't last long. This time the same technician said the hesitation is now caused by me, said, I'm not accelerating very quickly and the vehicle is trying to accommodate my style of shifting. I now, always drive in sport mode b/c of the hesitation issues. I will be bringing my vehicle back next month for my 15k miles check and I want to get tough with them and not pick my car up until they do what is necessary to have a safe driving vehicle. My question to this group is...what do I tell them to make them understand this is NOT b/c of the way I'm driving. I love to drive fast and I love to be able to move into Interstate travel going at least 60mph to accommodate the already 70+ mph drivers so I can merge safely. Short story...the other day my vehicle was in sport mode and a Nissan was on side of me at a red light. So I though let me see just how good my car is doing. So when the light turned from red to green we both took off like crazy right, NOT! Nissan left me standing almost still. No pick up on take off, but the Nissan was flying low let me tell you. So this car has nothing to brag about in my opinion. Please help! Tell me what I need to do to enjoy my beautiful vehicle.
I have the same problem with my 2016 RX350. In fact I was the Forum member who posted the original TSB. I am still having these problems as well and believe that Lexus has a technical issue they cannot resolve. My two previous RXs were hybrids and I should have purchased another one. However I leased this RX350 and will turn it in when my time is up.
Old 10-23-17, 05:16 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

I've had my RX350 fSport for 11 months and brought it in twice for the hesitation issues. They did a reflash in March of this year. They said they noticed the vehicle had a shift hesitation on acceleration when trying to pass another vehicle. I brought it back the next month b/c the fix didn't last long. This time the same technician said the hesitation is now caused by me, said, I'm not accelerating very quickly and the vehicle is trying to accommodate my style of shifting. I now, always drive in sport mode b/c of the hesitation issues. I will be bringing my vehicle back next month for my 15k miles check and I want to get tough with them and not pick my car up until they do what is necessary to have a safe driving vehicle. My question to this group is...what do I tell them to make them understand this is NOT b/c of the way I'm driving. I love to drive fast and I love to be able to move into Interstate travel going at least 60mph to accommodate the already 70+ mph drivers so I can merge safely. Short story...the other day my vehicle was in sport mode and a Nissan was on side of me at a red light. So I though let me see just how good my car is doing. So when the light turned from red to green we both took off like crazy right, NOT! Nissan left me standing almost still. No pick up on take off, but the Nissan was flying low let me tell you. So this car has nothing to brag about in my opinion. Please help! Tell me what I need to do to enjoy my beautiful vehicle.
My experience has proven to me that the tranny definitely learns your driving style - do you ALWAYS drive fast ie: hard acceleration/braking or do you mix it up, sometimes being gentle on the throttle? Also does anyone else drive your car who may drive gently? Obviously if you mix up you driving styles or someone else drives the tranny keeps trying to adjust and can get very mixed up! Just a thought for you.
Old 10-24-17, 10:59 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Bad news, gang. I've got a '17 non-F Sport and took my RX in for service today. Confirmed the correct TSB and update and was told by the tech that I have the updated software already installed, however, Lexus tech confirmed that the most recent update is a patch for the final update which is in testing. I can tell you that over time, your Lexus will exhibit similar hesitation and jerking.
The following users liked this post:
PCW (10-24-17)
Old 10-24-17, 11:37 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
Bad news, gang. I've got a '17 non-F Sport and took my RX in for service today. Confirmed the correct TSB and update and was told by the tech that I have the updated software already installed, however, Lexus tech confirmed that the most recent update is a patch for the final update which is in testing. I can tell you that over time, your Lexus will exhibit similar hesitation and jerking.
After the TSB was the car running to your satisfaction, and if so, how long did that last??
Old 10-24-17, 12:05 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
After the TSB was the car running to your satisfaction, and if so, how long did that last??
they didn't do the update because my software code matched the one on the TSB. I've noticed my RX worsen over time. It's got 10k miles and bucks like a wild horse
Old 10-24-17, 02:01 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a VIN range that is affected by this TSB?
Old 10-24-17, 02:18 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Dropped the car off at Sterling McCall Lexus in Houston to apply this patch and the service advisor called back this afternoon saying "there is no code display. Tech test drive all three modes --eco/normal/sport-- car drive as normal". No fix is necessary. ????
Old 10-24-17, 04:27 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Dropped the car off at Sterling McCall Lexus in Houston to apply this patch and the service advisor called back this afternoon saying "there is no code display. Tech test drive all three modes --eco/normal/sport-- car drive as normal". No fix is necessary. ????
Ask them to reset the transmission ECU so it starts the "learning" again. Worked for mine.
Old 10-24-17, 04:43 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Anyone has a PDF copy of the TSB?
Old 10-25-17, 08:27 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

It's posted on page 15 post number 222.....I guess I could have just copied it....sorry...
Old 10-25-17, 08:28 AM
FastFord
Racer

trying to copy it...damn cpu!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB L-SB-0109-17.pdf (87.2 KB, 1638 views)

Last edited by FastFord; 10-25-17 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-25-17, 08:44 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Thanks fastFord. I'll bring a copy with me on the next maintenance visit. Hopefully they will do it then.
Old 10-26-17, 03:18 PM
dchobo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you quantify how long the hesitation is? Is it a split second? Or more like 1-2 second?

Thanks
Old 10-27-17, 06:23 AM
FastFord
Racer

The RX 350 F sport or not, is NOT a sports car. I have an F sport and it`s slow. If you were trying it against almost any Nissan, yes you would be left standing still. Maybe you tried it against a Nissan GTR ? Hesitation is maybe 1 second, but feels like forever...Best bet is to drive in Sport + all the time, you will probably enjoy the vehicle more....but she's still no rocket!
Old 10-31-17, 08:56 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

^^^ At least it sounds impressive

PS This vehicle does not give me confidence that I'll have instant sharp acceleration if I need to overtake someone, but it sure is very comfortable
The following users liked this post:
Koetsu (10-31-17)

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)