RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 11:42 PM
hulatee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news on the fix. I have my 6k first service coming up in a couple of months and hopefully get the hesitation problem fixed.

2017 F Sport
Old 10-18-17, 05:34 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Had the TSB done today, wow what a change. I immediately noticed that drive mode now is more like sport mode, even eco is much improved. I'm guessing, there might be a hit to the mpg, about the same as always driving in sport mode. The transmission, while not perfect, doesn't search as much for the proper gear, however I still wish they had stayed with a 6-speed.
One problem, I lost Sport+. If it doesn't return in a few days I'll return to the dealer.
All work was done by a Master Tech.

Old 10-19-17, 04:29 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Had the TSB done today, wow what a change. I immediately noticed that drive mode now is more like sport mode, even eco is much improved. I'm guessing, there might be a hit to the mpg, about the same as always driving in sport mode. The transmission, while not perfect, doesn't search as much for the proper gear, however I still wish they had stayed with a 6-speed.
One problem, I lost Sport+. If it doesn't return in a few days I'll return to the dealer.

If you lost sport + you also lost customization. That means they didn't install it correctly....You have the F sport, you need the correct calibration ID.

I know this cause that's what happened to me and in a few days your RX will run very poorly and shift extremely poorly....worse than before the fix.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (10-19-17)
Old 10-19-17, 04:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Like FastFord said if you no longer have Sport+, the Master Tech screwed up for sure. If it was driving that much better . . . . . well that would be a hard choice.
Old 10-19-17, 09:52 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastFord
If you lost sport + you also lost customization. That means they didn't install it correctly....You have the F sport, you need the correct calibration ID.
I know this cause that's what happened to me and in a few days your RX will run very poorly and shift extremely poorly....worse than before the fix.
Thanks FastFord, I gave them a print out of your post #593 re calibration ID's, still do not have sport+. I left a msg for the service advisor this AM, no return call yet. No doubt I'll be revisiting the dealer, back to square 1. Driving the car without sport+ is not an option.
Old 10-19-17, 10:54 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Now it makes me wonder, if they apply the wrong id to regulat RX350, will that add sport+ to regular model?
Old 10-19-17, 11:44 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
Now it makes me wonder, if they apply the wrong id to regulat RX350, will that add sport+ to regular model?
Possibly but it would be pointless since the Plus/+ makes the suspension firmer due to AVS being on the F Sport only. Since it's not on the regular or luxury model nothing would change.
Old 10-20-17, 05:12 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Thanks FastFord, I gave them a print out of your post #593 re calibration ID's, still do not have sport+. I left a msg for the service advisor this AM, no return call yet. No doubt I'll be revisiting the dealer, back to square 1. Driving the car without sport+ is not an option.

Maybe they forgot to reset (disconnect) the battery??

Hope they get it right.
Nail34 (10-20-17)
Old 10-20-17, 05:59 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a point of reference, I check our F-Sport last night and Sport+ mode is still there as well as customize. They did something wrong if your F-Sport doesn't have Sport+ anymore.
Old 10-21-17, 10:01 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

So I called the service advisor yesterday and told him I was missing sport+, I know he was thinking "yeah sure you are" and he asked me to bring the car in. The good thing about missing sport+ is that I didn't have to convince them I had hesitation, vibration, drone and have them tell me this is normal behavior. My biggest fear was that they would start the car and sport+ would somehow magically appear, I checked it right before I shut off the engine, lol.
I watched the tech who did the software update murmuring with the SA who was looking over his shoulder, both had blank faces not knowing what to say. I walked over and asked if he used the most current update and he said yes and did he reset the battery and he said yes. Then he said he was going to have to call his software guru to find out what happened. Hopefully I will have an answer by the end of next week,
By the way both guys could not have been more pleasant.
Also, I drove 100 miles since the update, what a difference, it's like driving a new car.
Old 10-21-17, 05:49 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So I called the service advisor yesterday and told him I was missing sport+, I know he was thinking "yeah sure you are" and he asked me to bring the car in. The good thing about missing sport+ is that I didn't have to convince them I had hesitation, vibration, drone and have them tell me this is normal behavior. My biggest fear was that they would start the car and sport+ would somehow magically appear, I checked it right before I shut off the engine, lol.
I watched the tech who did the software update murmuring with the SA who was looking over his shoulder, both had blank faces not knowing what to say. I walked over and asked if he used the most current update and he said yes and did he reset the battery and he said yes. Then he said he was going to have to call his software guru to find out what happened. Hopefully I will have an answer by the end of next week,
By the way both guys could not have been more pleasant.
Also, I drove 100 miles since the update, what a difference, it's like driving a new car.
Nice that they are pleasant, but id argue that they simply arent able to read instructions. There are multiple variants of the software depending on model/VIN. Not much more rocket science than matching the TSB with the right car. Shouldnt take more than 1 minute to figure this out. Either way, didnt matter for me because the update still stinks.

Last edited by s4iscool; 10-21-17 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 06:34 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Maybe they forgot to reset (disconnect) the battery??

Hope they get it right.
Software update takes care of all that but some times glitch occurs during flash someting disturbed it or
connection from the updater was loose, things like that. At comletion of update, program cheks to make
sure all is done right but in the case of like one bit dropped or picked up could be undetectable.

That is why in any software update, you have to test drive the vehicle to make sure all is well. Typically,
I'd think the updater utility will read the vehicle s/n and model and asks the tech. to confirm so correct f/w is
flashed.

OP should just go back to the dealer and ask them to redo it if all is not well.
Nail34 (10-21-17)
Old 10-21-17, 08:51 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Nice that they are pleasant, but id argue that they simply arent able to read instructions. There are multiple variants of the software depending on model/VIN. Not much more rocket science than matching the TSB with the right car. Shouldnt take more than 1 minute to figure this out. Either way, didnt matter for me because the update still stinks.
Wowzer, guess you aren't too happy with Lexus. I'm in no rush, I still have full use of my car, let them find a solution. I can't imagine Lexus saying "so you don't have sport+, big deal, live with it." If I had a worry it would be good news we found your sport+ but now your car runs like crap.
Old 10-21-17, 09:12 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Htony
Software update takes care of all that but some times glitch occurs during flash someting disturbed it or
connection from the updater was loose, things like that. At comletion of update, program cheks to make
sure all is done right but in the case of like one bit dropped or picked up could be undetectable.

That is why in any software update, you have to test drive the vehicle to make sure all is well. Typically,
I'd think the updater utility will read the vehicle s/n and model and asks the tech. to confirm so correct f/w is
flashed.

OP should just go back to the dealer and ask them to redo it if all is not well.
Helpful post, thx. I was told that if the tech entered the wrong update a warning would appear and prevent the update so I'm "guessing" it was the correct update with a glitch, after all the transmission was enormously improved. I don't believe I need to ask them to do it again, I don't see any other solution.
Old 10-23-17, 05:03 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

I've had my RX350 fSport for 11 months and brought it in twice for the hesitation issues. They did a reflash in March of this year. They said they noticed the vehicle had a shift hesitation on acceleration when trying to pass another vehicle. I brought it back the next month b/c the fix didn't last long. This time the same technician said the hesitation is now caused by me, said, I'm not accelerating very quickly and the vehicle is trying to accommodate my style of shifting. I now, always drive in sport mode b/c of the hesitation issues. I will be bringing my vehicle back next month for my 15k miles check and I want to get tough with them and not pick my car up until they do what is necessary to have a safe driving vehicle. My question to this group is...what do I tell them to make them understand this is NOT b/c of the way I'm driving. I love to drive fast and I love to be able to move into Interstate travel going at least 60mph to accommodate the already 70+ mph drivers so I can merge safely. Short story...the other day my vehicle was in sport mode and a Nissan was on side of me at a red light. So I though let me see just how good my car is doing. So when the light turned from red to green we both took off like crazy right, NOT! Nissan left me standing almost still. No pick up on take off, but the Nissan was flying low let me tell you. So this car has nothing to brag about in my opinion. Please help! Tell me what I need to do to enjoy my beautiful vehicle.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)