RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 11:06 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Was yours a used vehicle when purchased?
Do more then two people regularly drive the vehicle?
Yes, I bought my RX as a CPO with 36,000 km (22,400 miles). I'm the sole driver of the RX.

Cheers.
Old 06-23-18, 06:20 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by vuong05
Yes, I bought my RX as a CPO with 36,000 km (22,400 miles). I'm the sole driver of the RX.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think the improvement is your imagination - did you see my post #829 above, I bought a used vehicle too which hesitated, mentioned to dealer who reset the ECU and the car's been great since (9,000 km). I'm guessing that whoever drove your car in the past had a different driving style to you, suddenly your in the car, drive differently and the transmission is not suited to you until it relearns your driving style. With me I kept changing my driving style to adapt to the hesitation as well as using different fuel grades with each fill, also kept trying different drive modes and when I had the car for the first couple of months I was driving in unfamiliar territory. My car couldn't learn "my driving style" because I was constantly changing it and the fuel, messing the whole process up. Now if I drive the car gently, small throttle openings with little traffic the car is perfection but try to drive harder there's still a little hesitation so I put it in Sport mode and hesitation is gone.
Old 08-14-18, 01:31 PM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hesitation and decelleration feeling when transmission downshifts

Our 2018 RX350 FWD has been exhibiting strange symptoms where one of ten times, if you press on the acceleration hard during cruising, the car will downshift but in the process of doing so, the entire car will feel like someone stomped on the brakes and then accelerate when the gear shift happens. Basically, think of it as driving stick shift. If you're going 50mph in 6th gear and you switched to 2nd gear, and then dropped the clutch quickly without gasing. I believe the transmission logic or transmission system isn't very good. My wife has also been noticing this issue from time to time. We've driven many cars in our lifetime and this is the only car that seems to exhibit such a sudden decelleration/downshift feeling. Prior to that she had a SC430 and that car did not have this issue. Usually, what the computer should do is if it is jumping from 6th down to 3rd, it should rev the engine up and then perform the shift. It seems as if the shift is happening before the engine has reached the proper RPM band.

Unfortunately, whether this is just a transmission programming logic or a real defect, we will not be keeping this car after the lease is up.
Old 08-14-18, 07:12 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by nukezero
Our 2018 RX350 FWD has been exhibiting strange symptoms where one of ten times, if you press on the acceleration hard during cruising, the car will downshift but in the process of doing so, the entire car will feel like someone stomped on the brakes and then accelerate when the gear shift happens. Basically, think of it as driving stick shift. If you're going 50mph in 6th gear and you switched to 2nd gear, and then dropped the clutch quickly without gasing. I believe the transmission logic or transmission system isn't very good. My wife has also been noticing this issue from time to time. We've driven many cars in our lifetime and this is the only car that seems to exhibit such a sudden decelleration/downshift feeling. Prior to that she had a SC430 and that car did not have this issue. Usually, what the computer should do is if it is jumping from 6th down to 3rd, it should rev the engine up and then perform the shift. It seems as if the shift is happening before the engine has reached the proper RPM band.

Unfortunately, whether this is just a transmission programming logic or a real defect, we will not be keeping this car after the lease is up.
Have you made any effort to get it fixed?
Old 09-15-18, 02:35 PM
colberto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still sucks

Well came back here a year later and see nothing has changed. I’m still with my ‘16 and the horrible transmission.

I did drive a new vehicle to see to see if the problem is there...and surprisingly...it is. So...even from the factory...these cars don’t shift and function well between 30-45. The 8 speed tranny or the chipset and computer that controls the shifts is garbage.

The fact that consumer reports and other reviews fail to mention this issue...makes me question their credibility.

Still getting jerked around...in my car and with Lexus.

The following users liked this post:
fmast342 (10-21-18)
Old 09-15-18, 02:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by colberto
Well came back here a year later and see nothing has changed. I’m still with my ‘16 and the horrible transmission.

I did drive a new vehicle to see to see if the problem is there...and surprisingly...it is. So...even from the factory...these cars don’t shift and function well between 30-45. The 8 speed tranny or the chipset and computer that controls the shifts is garbage.

The fact that consumer reports and other reviews fail to mention this issue...makes me question their credibility.

How about go and try other brand such as BMW X5, Audi Q5/Q7, Mercedes GLE SUVs? Even Hyundai Santa Fe Sports.
Old 09-15-18, 03:54 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Or maybe you should question your way of driving! I don't have those problems and neither does the vast majority, so perhaps it's something you do or your expectation is incorrect. Do you really think that Lexus would show such blatant disregard of a flaw that could reduce sales? I don't think so.
Old 09-15-18, 06:26 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Beat me to it Cocal, I was going to say the same thing. Maybe a driving style issue, not driving as Lexus would expect the majority to drive. If you're cruising along at say 40 and suddenly mash the throttle right down there will be some jerkiness surely, I've never done that, I would just tap the throttle gently and the car changes down seamlessly, the only sign is the rise in revs and the engine note (F-Sport so is louder).
Sometimes when feeling the urge I'l shift the the gears manually, again silky smooth.

If you're talking about the hesitation at slower speeds, coming out of corners for example I thought that was fixed with a TSB and the new cars are fine now. The RX in the US I believe is/was heavily aimed at good fuel consumption hence the changing up gears sooner than expected - in Australia the issue is not as apparent although may be there a little. We're not as fussed about fuel costs here. When I drive around my home town (30,000 people) which is slow paced I'm using small throttle openings and the car performs beautifully but in Sydney where the pace is much faster I'm driving the car harder/faster due to traffic and occasionally she's changed up a gear when it would have been best to stay in a lower gear. Now when in busy areas I'll throw it in Sport sometimes and it's all good. I wouldn't say it's bad in normal mode in fast environments, only the occasional glitch and doesn't really bother me too much.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (09-16-18)
Old 09-15-18, 06:44 PM
colberto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
How about go and try other brand such as BMW X5, Audi Q5/Q7, Mercedes GLE SUVs? Even Hyundai Santa Fe Sports.
I rent cars frequently and do not experience this issue with almost any car I drive. Our other car a Hyundai...has a smoother transmission by far.
Old 09-15-18, 06:46 PM
colberto
Driver School Candidate

Beat me to it Cocal, I was going to say the same thing. Maybe a driving style issue, not driving as Lexus would expect the majority to drive. If you're cruising along at say 40 and suddenly mash the throttle right down there will be some jerkiness surely, I've never done that, I would just tap the throttle gently and the car changes down seamlessly, the only sign is the rise in revs and the engine note (F-Sport so is louder).
Sometimes when feeling the urge I'l shift the the gears manually, again silky smooth.

If you're talking about the hesitation at slower speeds, coming out of corners for example I thought that was fixed with a TSB and the new cars are fine now. The RX in the US I believe is/was heavily aimed at good fuel consumption hence the changing up gears sooner than expected - in Australia the issue is not as apparent although may be there a little. We're not as fussed about fuel costs here. When I drive around my home town (30,000 people) which is slow paced I'm using small throttle openings and the car performs beautifully but in Sydney where the pace is much faster I'm driving the car harder/faster due to traffic and occasionally she's changed up a gear when it would have been best to stay in a lower gear. Now when in busy areas I'll throw it in Sport sometimes and it's all good. I wouldn't say it's bad in normal mode in fast environments, only the occasional glitch and doesn't really bother me too much.
Thank you gentlemen...you’re right 56 pages of people with this issue...it must be my driving.

Old 09-15-18, 06:54 PM
colberto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
Or maybe you should question your way of driving! I don't have those problems and neither does the vast majority, so perhaps it's something you do or your expectation is incorrect. Do you really think that Lexus would show such blatant disregard of a flaw that could reduce sales? I don't think so.
Thank you kind sir. You’re probably right...it’s just me. Funny how 56 pages of other people with similar issues is on this board...it must be all them too.

I honestly have spent the past 3 years quite surprised that I have this issue with a so-called luxury vehicle and despite multiple trips...software updates...resets...it still stinks. I did ask to drive a brand new one right on the lot...and while it wasn’t quite as bad as mine...it showed it’s own issues shifting between 30-45.

So yes...I’m disappointed. Im a conservative driver...I take excellent care of my vehicles...and with my job I am often renting high end luxury cars all the time. I don’t experience this with those other vehicles.

I do believe this is an issue with the calibration of this 8 speee tranny. I think it is purely software...as the experience is not always specifically consistent.

Please however show some respect for people and their issues...and not push this back as a “user driving issue”. If you don’t have the problem...great...be thankful...and drive that Lexus with a smile on your face.

Not all of us are happy with our vehicles and this specific issue that seems to be wider-spread than review sites and auto evaluation groups are willing to share.
Old 09-15-18, 07:15 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Thank you gentlemen...you’re right 56 pages of people with this issue...it must be my driving.

Wow, don't be so defensive, just a suggestion, like I said I experience it slightly sometimes but I guess I've learnt to live with it and/or adjust driving style and use Sport mode if I feel the need.

And those 56 pages are mostly the same few people repeating over and over the same issue - sales are increasing in the US each year of the RX, 108,000 per year or something and I'm guessing they don't all feel there's an issue. Media tests of the vehicle don't usually mention a problem either so it's, I'm assuming, not that apparent. Of course there may be a massive conspiracy amongst the journalists not to say anything bad about the car.....
Old 09-16-18, 05:37 AM
astrom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you kind sir. You’re probably right...it’s just me. Funny how 56 pages of other people with similar issues is on this board...it must be all them too.

I honestly have spent the past 3 years quite surprised that I have this issue with a so-called luxury vehicle and despite multiple trips...software updates...resets...it still stinks. I did ask to drive a brand new one right on the lot...and while it wasn’t quite as bad as mine...it showed it’s own issues shifting between 30-45.

So yes...I’m disappointed. Im a conservative driver...I take excellent care of my vehicles...and with my job I am often renting high end luxury cars all the time. I don’t experience this with those other vehicles.

I do believe this is an issue with the calibration of this 8 speee tranny. I think it is purely software...as the experience is not always specifically consistent.

Please however show some respect for people and their issues...and not push this back as a “user driving issue”. If you don’t have the problem...great...be thankful...and drive that Lexus with a smile on your face.

Not all of us are happy with our vehicles and this specific issue that seems to be wider-spread than review sites and auto evaluation groups are willing to share.

As I have previously indicated, I am having the same issue. I regularly drive my kid to her gymnastics practice about 15 minutes from my house on local suburban roads at mostly 25-35 mph the whole way there and back. This car is really unpleasant and not good during those trips and the words "silky smooth" are not the ones coming to mind. The transmission feels harsh and the engine emits constant unpleasant noise. It is mostly fine on the highway, but even there it feels sluggish when first accelerating from the entrance into the traffic. My 2012 Nissan Murano, which I traded for this car, was much much better both on local streets and on the highway.
Old 09-16-18, 03:17 PM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, don't be so defensive, just a suggestion, like I said I experience it slightly sometimes but I guess I've learnt to live with it and/or adjust driving style and use Sport mode if I feel the need.

And those 56 pages are mostly the same few people repeating over and over the same issue - sales are increasing in the US each year of the RX, 108,000 per year or something and I'm guessing they don't all feel there's an issue. Media tests of the vehicle don't usually mention a problem either so it's, I'm assuming, not that apparent. Of course there may be a massive conspiracy amongst the journalists not to say anything bad about the car.....
This issue does exist and Lexus is aware of this according to my dealer who was very familiar with this as well. The transmission also stumbles when you try to accelerate to pass at highway speeds. Doesnt always happen but its an issue. I have a 17’ with the latest soffware so TSB doesnt apply. And dont think that Lexus or any other manufacturer will fix something properly just because its the biggest seller for the brand. My Audi Q5 also has tranny shifting issues and its the biggest selling model in lineup. Also has 8 speed. Been told each manufacturer does final programing on tranny so even though BMW and Audi both use same tranny it acts differently. Not sure who makes Lexus 8 speed.
Old 09-24-18, 08:18 AM
lexusnav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2018 RX350 initial sluggish acceleration

Hi,

I bought a new 2018 Rx350 last week, the car is sluggish in acceleration after a stop sign/ red light, when i push the accelerator i can hear sort of vibration below my seat and across the car. it seems like its either missing transmission or changing gears, it all goes away when i take my foot off the accelerator pedal and push it again.This happened a few times, specially when i am getting on a highway/freeway. Overall it runs smooth and a nice ride.

My question: is this a common problem in new car and will it go away once i put more km on it or do i get it checked out at dealership.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Note: If this topic has already been discussed in a previous thread please let me know, I will remove this thread and post my query in other one.

Last edited by lexusnav; 09-24-18 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a last note.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)