RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 08:05 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
I've been driving my '16 RX 350 in S-mode (manual) and Sport powertrain setting as a workaround to the rather poor responsiveness one gets when in just plain D (Drive) mode. (I have had the transmission TSB applied and feel this improved the system somewhat.) As "tdjacw" notes above, the transmission itself is very smooth. It's just the programming of the shift points that as tech guru, Tony Northrup, would say are, "just awful." When starting up the car in the morning I switch to S6 and then turn the round, driving mode select switch to Sport. This gives me much better responsiveness without the sluggish sensation one experiences in D (Drive). Most of my driving is within the city so I rarely need to use S7 or S8 so I initially set it at S6 and go. As an aside, engine vibration coming up through the accelerator pedal remains a problem and big annoyance.
How do you put it in S6 then drive off?
I can't shift up and down in manual mode if the vehicle is not moving.
Old 07-14-17, 11:37 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Just push the gear selector up twice until it says 6th. You will still be taking off in 1st but will only go up to 6th gear before you have to switch. I start out in 4th and shift up when I need to. When you come to a stop downshift once, it will go back to 4th, that's the default from a stop. That works for me.
Old 07-20-17, 02:51 PM
forest2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Software update for transmission hesitation

Took my 2016 Rx in for 10,000 mi servicing this week and mentioned the hesitation issue similar to many other reports. Picked up vehicle today and happy to report much smoother driving - Tech Rep mentioned they installed a software update to address the issue. Noted on work ticket as :Update available OP EG1637 Reprogram ECM (PCM) Engine
Covered under warranty

Hope this also helps some of the other reported experiences
The following users liked this post:
hollybern (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 04:51 PM
hollybern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on Acceleration with 2017 RX350

I am having similar problems to what I have read in other posts regarding acceleration hesitation with my 2017 RX350. I have to press the gas pedal to the floor to get the car to move when approaching a highway from an entrance ramp. There is serious hesitation when attempting to accelerate. I will take my car to my dealer and inquire about a software update that I read in another post on this site.
Old 07-22-17, 10:08 AM
DanG84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Honestly, I can live with the hesitation. Its the vibration felt through the floorboards thats driving me nuts. Its been warm so I have been using the AC and that is just compounding the problem. This engine does not like to be under any kind of load under 2k rpms.
Worst case scenario is slowing down turning a corner going up an incline with AC on, the engine vibrates and buzzes like a chainsaw.
I know I sound like a broken record just never experienced this kind of issue with any other manufacture. Lexus you truly lost my business, cant believe I have had so much better experience with Chevy and Dodge. You know the old saying, fool me ounce!!!!!!!!!

Anyone on the edge of purchasing this vehicle should really think twice. If you get one with this issue there is no fix. Lexus will just tell you its normal unless of course you like to gamble with your hard earned money..

My drone is horrible too, shakes the whole cabin , please join the twitter #FixMyLexus so we can all fight this on social media, customer service will never fix this unless bad press
Old 07-22-17, 04:17 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG84
My drone is horrible too, shakes the whole cabin , please join the twitter #FixMyLexus so we can all fight this on social media, customer service will never fix this unless bad press
the throttle delay and gear downshift hesitation isn't the primary symptom in his thread, although it is one common in recent Lexus cars (blame fuel economy as well the 8 speed tranny) This thread has been more about terrible engine and transmission maping that causes acceleration from a stop to be jumpy and non linear. The car is possessed with shiftting up to 4th gear and above. The car will accelerate, then shift so fast you lose power (enough to feel yourself lurch forward), then it down shifts and then shifts up too fast so the experience feels like the car is sputtering up and down at lower speeds. It's maddening and the tsb doesn't fix this for many who have tried.
Old 07-24-17, 04:25 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

The more I drive it, the less I feel the hesitation. Maybe I got use to how it responds to the gas pedal. If I want an easy start, it seems to do as programmed to do to save gaz and I see on the globe screen that the level stays in the blue area. If I need to do a quicker start, my foot got used to know how much to press to get it, but for sure it gets into the white area. And it does not have to be pressed that much, but there is a sweet spot where the computer decide to give more.

To me I feel like there is no hesitation and very responsive. I just adapted my driving on how it responds to the stimuli.
Old 07-24-17, 05:17 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
The more I drive it, the less I feel the hesitation. Maybe I got use to how it responds to the gas pedal. If I want an easy start, it seems to do as programmed to do to save gaz and I see on the globe screen that the level stays in the blue area. If I need to do a quicker start, my foot got used to know how much to press to get it, but for sure it gets into the white area. And it does not have to be pressed that much, but there is a sweet spot where the computer decide to give more.

To me I feel like there is no hesitation and very responsive. I just adapted my driving on how it responds to the stimuli.
Sounds like you RX training is complete.
Old 07-24-17, 12:11 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a loaner 2017 RX350 for the weekend and I noticed a very present hesitation on acceleration. I came on here to see if this was a common issue, and sure enough, there is a large thread dedicated to it. You would think Lexus would take notice of an issue like this.
Old 07-25-17, 10:34 AM
mrmikeinga
Driver School Candidate

There is a TBA for the hesitation. Took my RX 350 F Sport in on Friday, July 21, 2017, and complained about it and they did an update and re calibration, Drives much better now.
Old 07-29-17, 04:23 AM
Heatboy05
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrmikeinga
There is a TBA for the hesitation. Took my RX 350 F Sport in on Friday, July 21, 2017, and complained about it and they did an update and re calibration, Drives much better now.
I had it applied, it got better then eventually went right back. Lexus I believe has acknowledged that their "fix" does not work. Really tired of this...
Old 07-31-17, 08:43 AM
t2henson
Driver School Candidate

Well, I'm done. My 16' F Sport was just purchased back. Dealer would not put me in a 17' as they were concerned the hesitation issues are still problematic.
For everybody still having issues, I STRONGLY suggest you send Lexus and your dealer a demand letter for car to be corrected or be purchased along with contacting the NHTSA over the concerns.
Old 07-31-17, 12:25 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by t2henson
Well, I'm done. My 16' F Sport was just purchased back. Dealer would not put me in a 17' as they were concerned the hesitation issues are still problematic.
For everybody still having issues, I STRONGLY suggest you send Lexus and your dealer a demand letter for car to be corrected or be purchased along with contacting the NHTSA over the concerns.
Wow your a lucky man. I went down the same route you did but was turned down.
The interesting thing is that they acknowledged the drone and vibration but said it is normal for this model.
Now after telling me its normal they stated that the Engineers are diligently working on a fix. I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone!!
Old 07-31-17, 05:26 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by t2henson
this is good news. Can you post more about your process? Did you have to use the lemon law?
Old 08-01-17, 03:43 PM
t2henson
Driver School Candidate

I sent Lexus, and the dealer I purchased the RX from, a demand letter for car to be corrected or be purchased back. I gave them 30 days to correct / purchase or be subject to litigation. All correspondence was done via email and certified mail. I had had the car in 3 times for hesitation issues which we documented along with the dealer stating that there was no fix. See attached last service invoice for nail in the coffin on my RX.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan0005.pdf (1.19 MB, 280 views)

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)