RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Parking assist dynamic gridlines not showing

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 05:56 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking assist dynamic gridlines not showing

I just joined the forum--hopefully I'm posting in the right spot.

A month ago, I traded in my 2010 RX 350 for a 2016 model. It is AWD, not Sport; has navigation and safety systems, but not HUD or panoramic roof.

I've had a few minor hiccups. The one I am hoping for help with is the parking assist gridlines. Up until a few days ago, when I reversed, the display showed me the blue lines for where the car sides were, and the red line off the bumper, but also the yellow gridlines that showed where I would go if I turned the wheel. Those yellow lines have disappeared (still have the blue and red).

Parking Assist is ON, and icon is lit on the dash.

I've gotten into Settings -> Vehicle -> Parking Assist, and it says Display = Off. When I try to change that with the mouse, it pings, but stays Off.

Am I missing something I need to set?

Hoping to avoid a trip back to the dealer...

Thanks much!
Old 01-05-16, 07:23 AM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

click it to turn on/off the grid line
Old 01-05-16, 07:55 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just go to settings-->vehicle---->backup guide line setting. Your three backup guide line settings are in there.
Old 01-05-16, 08:07 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Click the icon multiple times to toggle through the choices.
Old 01-05-16, 08:33 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the multiple and quick replies! But, I'm afraid I still don't have it.

hon3kong: I don't see that icon (or the park assist warning on the right panel of the window). See attached photo. Is there another setting I'm missing?

2GSKaizen: I've been to the backup camera settings, and seen the three options. I've clicked on the top one, which gives me the blue/red lines, but not the yellow dynamic ones.

RXOwner: which icon?

Sorry if I am just being dense.... Suspect/hope there is some setting I'm just missing.
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails Parking assist dynamic gridlines not showing-lexusbackup001.jpg  
Old 01-05-16, 08:42 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by greyguy
Thanks for the multiple and quick replies! But, I'm afraid I still don't have it.

hon3kong: I don't see that icon (or the park assist warning on the right panel of the window). See attached photo. Is there another setting I'm missing?

2GSKaizen: I've been to the backup camera settings, and seen the three options. I've clicked on the top one, which gives me the blue/red lines, but not the yellow dynamic ones.

RXOwner: which icon?

Sorry if I am just being dense.... Suspect/hope there is some setting I'm just missing.
Thanks again.
The icon shown circled in the #2 post in this thread. I do not see these icons in your image, will have to wait till I get back to my vehicle to see.

Sorry.
Old 01-05-16, 11:11 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The same icon that gives you the blue lines should also produce the yellow lines. If you continue to click on it, it should be cycling through. There might be a parking assist option that needs to be enabled as well, not in the car right now to check.
Old 01-05-16, 11:16 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks--makes sense. I'll try clicking through the top option to see if I cycle into what I want.

I am worried that, when I look at the Parking Assist setup in Settings -> Vehicle, I cannot change the Display = OFF to = ON. Not sure what that has to do with anything...

Will post after I get back to the car.
Old 01-05-16, 06:02 PM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks--makes sense. I'll try clicking through the top option to see if I cycle into what I want.

I am worried that, when I look at the Parking Assist setup in Settings -> Vehicle, I cannot change the Display = OFF to = ON. Not sure what that has to do with anything...

Will post after I get back to the car.
In mine, selecting the Display off makes the off button glow (i think green) next to that clicked button which tells me the display is off.
Old 01-06-16, 06:11 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Success: It's now working correctly (yellow dynamic guidelines are back). I *think* I understand what fixed it, though I did enough fooling around with pushing icons that I am not absolutely certain. Here's my understanding:

A critical setting is in Settings -> Vehicle -> LEXUS parking assist. On the screen there is a Display icon that says Display OFF. If I push that, there's an audible ping and the lighting around the icon changes subtly. But, it continues to say Display OFF. Nonetheless, that restores the yellow dynamic guidelines. (Would certainly be better if the icon changed to Display ON...) Pushing it again turns them off.

And, as suggested earlier in the thread, Settings -> Vehicle -> Backup guideline settings has to be set to the top option, which shows the yellow dynamic guidelines.

So: I think I'm done with this issue. Will post back if something else arises. Appreciate the help!
The following users liked this post:
Lexun2 (09-25-23)
Old 01-06-16, 10:17 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

You may want to download the RX manual PDF for all such questions. Instantly index-able; for instance, using the words "Park Assist" will take you to that section of the manual; starting at page 340 is of great help explaining all of the grids, adjustments etc.

Here's the website:

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...016&x=37&y=11#

You can do the keyword search online too, but I find it much easier to go ahead and download the complete manual PDF; I store it on a tablet in the car, which allows me to access the manual as I sit in front of the steering wheel.

Last edited by winsalem; 01-06-16 at 10:23 AM. Reason: changed iPad to tablet...don't want to offend an Apple hater
Old 01-06-16, 10:44 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Great idea.
Old 01-22-16, 09:34 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Two weeks later, and I'm back with, I think, greater understanding. I am posting in order to correct some what I said in earlier posts that I am now were in error. And, I am now more confident I understand the problem and hoping someone has a suggestion.

First, to correct an error:
The Settings -> Vehicle -> LEXUS parking assist. -> Display Off button only serves to turn on/off the display on the right side of the Nav screen of what what the sensors think you are close to. Has nothing to do with the guidelines, at least as I currently understand things.

About the dynamic parking guidelines:
Settings -> Vehicle -> Backup Camera Guide Line Settings shows three buttons. The top one has yellow lines, which is what I prefer to have, as they dynamically show where the car will end up when backing up. (p. 341 of the manual).

My problem:
Even when this setting is chosen, I sometimes get the yellow guidelines and sometimes I do not. Like this morning: backing out of the garage; no guidelines. 30 minutes later, having driven to work, guidelines appear. I did not change the settings.
Could this be a function of the car warming up??? I assume I am headed to the dealer...

Happy to hear any thoughts.
Old 01-22-16, 09:37 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I do not understand why either. My yellow lines are there all the time, even starting out first thing in the AM.

Let us all know.
Old 01-22-16, 12:03 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Two weeks later, and I'm back with, I think, greater understanding. I am posting in order to correct some what I said in earlier posts that I am now were in error. And, I am now more confident I understand the problem and hoping someone has a suggestion.

First, to correct an error:
The Settings -> Vehicle -> LEXUS parking assist. -> Display Off button only serves to turn on/off the display on the right side of the Nav screen of what what the sensors think you are close to. Has nothing to do with the guidelines, at least as I currently understand things.

About the dynamic parking guidelines:
Settings -> Vehicle -> Backup Camera Guide Line Settings shows three buttons. The top one has yellow lines, which is what I prefer to have, as they dynamically show where the car will end up when backing up. (p. 341 of the manual).

My problem:
Even when this setting is chosen, I sometimes get the yellow guidelines and sometimes I do not. Like this morning: backing out of the garage; no guidelines. 30 minutes later, having driven to work, guidelines appear. I did not change the settings.
Could this be a function of the car warming up??? I assume I am headed to the dealer...

Happy to hear any thoughts.
Sounds like there might be a hardware to software communication problem. Are you able to replicate it every morning? If so, your dealer should keep your car for a couple days to see and fix the problem. All the Lexus I have had never had this guidelines problem. Neither do my parents on their 2015 ES350 and 2016 RX350.

Last edited by dchar; 01-22-16 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Parking assist dynamic gridlines not showing