RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 03:58 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sigp239
Bearcat,

I just had the whole front end done by a local authorized dealer of Xpel and Suntek. They actually did Xpel on the bumper and Suntek on the hood, fender, and mirrors. Both brands had templates for the bumper. I know my installer did not speak highly of the 3M film! I would see if you have a local Suntek installer.
Any reason why they used both brands for the PPF?
Old 03-21-16, 04:24 PM
sigp239
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
When you say the bumper, do you mean everything or just the body color part? or also the grill surround? I have an F Sport so there is a lot of lower stuff below the grill too.
It covers all the body color parts. Below are example pics for the Xpel templates. Hope that helps

F Sport w/ headlight washers

F Sport w/out headlight washers

Old 03-21-16, 04:31 PM
sigp239
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwsteg
Any reason why they used both brands for the PPF?
My installer said he felt the Xpel film was slightly better at protecting from impacts, but the SunTek film is clearer. He said he usually always goes with Xpel for the bumper and SunTek for the hood, fenders, and mirrors. He also mentioned the SunTek film usually comes off easier down the road if needed. Both come w/ a 10 year warranty. There was another film he mentioned that required a steamer, but he only recommends for track cars.
Old 08-23-17, 04:52 PM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 3M Paint Protective Coating

Dear Lexus Veterans

Do you recommend the 3M Paint Protective Coating for a vehicle? It is a lamination of clear plastic film over your vehicle to protect the paint. I have a new RX350 Caviar Black with Black Interiors. Looks really sharp, reminds of Darth Vader. (I am a huge Vader fan). I plan to keep this car at least 10 years.

The dealer price is $950 for the most comprehensive package.

Any insight is helpful.
Old 08-23-17, 04:55 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Its called "Clear Bra" and its best pricewise if you go outside a dealer since they likely outsource it to another shop anyways.
Old 08-23-17, 05:32 PM
CharSiuBao
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a black 2017 450h F-Sport and have a dealer-installed full front clear bra that covers the entire hood, front bumper, front fenders, and mirrors. $1500 CAD.

Last edited by CharSiuBao; 08-23-17 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 05:34 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine was a $450 dealer add-on. It was installed well; and but for one rock that I actually saw hit and dimple the leading edge of the hood, it has done it's job pleasingly well. It did not include a cover for the headlight lenses - and they're getting sand-blasted now at 67K miles.
Old 08-23-17, 05:42 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
Dear Lexus Veterans

Do you recommend the 3M Paint Protective Coating for a vehicle? It is a lamination of clear plastic film over your vehicle to protect the paint. I have a new RX350 Caviar Black with Black Interiors. Looks really sharp, reminds of Darth Vader. (I am a huge Vader fan). I plan to keep this car at least 10 years.

Any insight is helpful.
What are you getting covered in that "most comprehensive package"? On my ES, I have the full front bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, and door handle cups. I consider that to be a pretty comprehensive package, but some people get other things covered, including the front portion of the roof. If all of that is included for $950, that is actually a very good price, and it is likely somewhat less than what you would pay if you had the same work done at an independent trim shop.

Do note that 3M has 3 different film qualities (as do most of the other paint protection film manufacturers). I'd suggest going with the highest quality available, which should be thicker and will also have a longer warranty.
Old 08-23-17, 06:48 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Will never have a car I actually care about without the PPF.

Got XPEL done for the full front f sport bumper, hood, a pillars, front part of the roof, side mirrors, door edges, door cups, rear bumper.

First, someone hit my car with their door, dented the panel but it could have been worse with a bigger paint scratch if I didn't have the door edge guard.. SAVE.

Driving on the freeway, a rock must have hit the large bumper and the hood, tore a small hole in the xpel but no significant damage. WIN.

I was just driving on the 60 freeway in socal when all of a sudden it started hailing.. PEBBLES. I guess some truck had dropped a bunch of pebbles and it was spraying everywhere. I took a look at the front of my car and it was covered in white dots. My black plastic inserts near the fog lights had a few small dents in them. My plasti dip was all scratched up.. But my paint just wiped away and was fine.. SUPER WIN.

ANyways, it's worth the investment. My car looks like a banger.
Old 08-23-17, 08:36 PM
raytheagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Lexus Veterans

Any insight is helpful.
Just had Suntek film applied to our Caviar colored 2017 RX450h last weekend:

Paid $800 out the door and took ~4 hours.
Old 08-24-17, 04:00 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Dear Lexus Veterans

Any insight is helpful.
There are a few choices for paint protection. I have had the 3M and Xpel. Both worked well and did protect the paint for the most part. I didn't keep either car that long so I can't speak for their longevity. Dealer price of 950 sounds pretty good for the "most comprehensive package" What parts does that include ? The front bumper area takes a beating no matter how carefully you drive. Sigp239 posted a picture of the template (up a few posts) That piece alone is pretty expensive, so hopefully that is included in your package.
Old 08-24-17, 06:08 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Talking Help Finding "Bras" In Northern Virginia?

Hello All -

Anyone here from the Northern Virginia area who may know a source for Clear Bra installs up this way? Send me a PM if you would please??

We had it done on our 2007 GS350 (Not an RX - but the car is over 10 years old and that Clear Bra is worth every cent!) **Car bought in NOVA, bra done in Richmond.

As many others stated here. Having the hood (Least halfway) front quarter panels, mirrors, entire front down below is worth its weight in gold! Car is being sold TODAY and the new owner to be absolutely loved seeing that thing installed on the car too! I think we paid like $700 to have all those pieces done back in 2007. It has to be more these days, and especially for us RX owners with bigger vehicles too - right?

One thing I always wondered, is can the "Old Application" of a Clear Bra be removed - and replaced with entirely new material? Would it benefit anyone doing this? Hmmm

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from any Virginia / DC area Members who have some scoop on this.
***Anyone seeking an INCREDIBLE Sales Hook Up is welcome to contact me too! (Especially Military! He is a Retired Marine like myself. Paid well UNDER COST!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?-5.jpg   Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?-12.jpg   Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?-20170707_134442.jpg   Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?-20170707_135025.jpg   Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?-20170707_134623.jpg  

Old 08-24-17, 06:52 AM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
What are you getting covered in that "most comprehensive package"? On my ES, I have the full front bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, and door handle cups. I consider that to be a pretty comprehensive package, but some people get other things covered, including the front portion of the roof. If all of that is included for $950, that is actually a very good price, and it is likely somewhat less than what you would pay if you had the same work done at an independent trim shop.

Do note that 3M has 3 different film qualities (as do most of the other paint protection film manufacturers). I'd suggest going with the highest quality available, which should be thicker and will also have a longer warranty.
950$ (plus taxes) is the Platinum package, includes Hood, the front edge of the Fenders, Mirror Caps, A Pillars, the front edge of Roof, Door Edges, and the front Bumper.

Last edited by milk659; 08-24-17 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-24-17)
Old 08-24-17, 08:07 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

950$ (plus taxes) is the Platinum package, includes Hood, the front edge of the Fenders, Mirror Caps, A Pillars, the front edge of Roof, Door Edges, and the front Bumper.
That's a really good deal. Go with that! I suspect that Lexus will also warranty it as it was a dealer installed option...even though they contract it out.
Old 08-25-17, 05:17 AM
CharSiuBao
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
That's a really good deal. Go with that! I suspect that Lexus will also warranty it as it was a dealer installed option...even though they contract it out.
Most if not all dealer-installed film should come with at least a 4-5 year warranty. The one my dealer offers has a lifetime warranty against peeling/bubbling.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?